Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

body colored roof top

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default body colored roof top

Has anyone ever considered repainting their black roof to match the body color of their car? I was curious as out here in west Texas the color black is a bitch to keep nice looking and wondered if that would be an option anyone else had considered.

I'm thinking that my SOM Z would look very nice with an SS spoiler and hood, black berger panel and ZO6 chrome wheels and the roof painted SOM to match the body. What are your opinions/thoughts on this idea?
Old 02-15-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

I had mine painted to match the body within the first month I had it. I think the car looks much better.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

https://ls1tech.com/forums/appearance-detailing/276775-gunmetal-metallic-ss-hardtop-w-black-halos-pics.html
Old 02-16-2005, 01:21 AM
TECH Regular

I personally like the Black best but thats just my .02
Old 02-16-2005, 02:23 AM
TECH Apprentice

Yes, I think a Z with an SS wing/hood and the roof painted to match the body would look great. SOM is my favorite color. Is your car a hardtop or are you looking to paint the small "roof piece" behind the T-tops?
Old 02-16-2005, 07:36 AM
TECH Veteran

I live in West Texas and my black is in good shape. I like the Black and SOM.
Old 02-16-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bhz28
I personally like the Black best but thats just my .02
Ditto thats one of the things i really liked about 93-95 cars is that almost all of them are black tops.
Old 02-16-2005, 10:45 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think black roof and mirrors look best, Painted roof and mirrors remind me of a V6.
Old 02-16-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe the v6 came with body color painted mirrors and roof and the V8's came with them in black.
I changed the mirrors on my z to body color. I don't think the black ones flow with the car very good. I do think the roof goes good with the t top cars though.
I think though if your going to ad black rear panel mabey ad some black on the hood or black grille just something to tie it together, I think with the black rear panel the roof and the mirrors would be too much black. so it would look better body color. but thats just my opinion
Old 02-16-2005, 11:22 AM
12 Second Club

I love the V6 cars because the roofs are the same color. That's one of the main reasons I bought my black SS, the roof already matched the car. I don't really like how a black roof looks on another colored car.
Old 02-16-2005, 12:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

My thought is to personalize my car just a little differently than every other other Z out there. The look I am thinking of is to have the roof painted SOM like the rest of the car, add the SS spoiler and hood, paint the hood scoop black, have the berger mod done in satin black (doing this as soon as I receive the rear panel from another member, saving the orginal for just in case) lowering the car with BMR springs for a 1" drop, and adding either chrome ZO6 or Crager SS wheels. I am going to be adding ZO6 rotors/calipers and painting them so the corvette logo doesn't show on the calipers.A set of black hockey stripes will complete the look

The car is a hard top so no worries about t-tops and its an 02 model so the rear view mrrors are already SOM. I'm about to order a black billet grill and add either a red or blue bowtie emblem and the rest of the car is debadged. I have true duals so no exhaust shows and its mistaken for a V6 all the time until I start it up. The SS hood and spoiler will seperate it from a V6 I'm thinking along with the mentioned berger mod and black scoop. The exhaust note by itself really makes one look at it a little differently!

I also want to get rid of the imperfections that are in the factory paint, I feel that the factory just didn't do a great job on the paint on our cars at all, so I was thinking that it would be done very well when the add-ons are done since its hard to color match SOM on seperate pieces (not impossible but difficult). I think that 2_wacko's car is one of the few that has the hood painted to match and had it done really well. His car is very nice from what I've seen.

The result I'm aiming for is to create my own version of a ZL1 without the stripe down the middle/top.

I expected to see that some people like the black top and some who didn't but wanted to see who all had done something different. Thanks for all of your replies, I value this board and its members alot and love getting input from fellow enthusiasts.

Last edited by Joker; 02-16-2005 at 01:16 PM.
Old 02-16-2005, 01:47 PM
TECH Resident

I would get the roof painted SOM. I have t-tops, but I'm gonna get the "hoop" or "halo" painted SOM eventually.
Old 02-16-2005, 02:36 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-16-2005, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I have seen som cars with the roof painted body color & I didnt like it.
The one berger car that was som hads it that way I think
Old 02-16-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

here it is
Old 02-16-2005, 05:24 PM
TECH Addict

Joker - a little off topic, but I wouldn't really recommend the BMR springs. I'm not too happy with mine. To stay with a 1" drop, you might want to look towards the Hotchkis springs. Don't forget to do shocks at the same time!

I think the solid color would be different and probably look nice. My suggestion would be to add a '70 Z28 emblem to the black billet grille. Another differentiation could be a UltraZ hood instead of a SS hood. I would also go with polished wheels as opposed to chrome, but those are just personal opinions on how I would do the car.

Is Hill's still doing the paint?
Old 02-16-2005, 09:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like body colored roofs. I had my SS' roof painted white to match the body color.
Old 02-16-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Resident

I like the look of the black roof line, though mine doesn't have as much contrast...oh wait, my whole car is black! Seriously, though, I love SOM (possibly more than black), especially with the black top and dark tint .
Old 02-17-2005, 03:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ZaneO
Joker - a little off topic, but I wouldn't really recommend the BMR springs. I'm not too happy with mine. To stay with a 1" drop, you might want to look towards the Hotchkis springs. Don't forget to do shocks at the same time!

I think the solid color would be different and probably look nice. My suggestion would be to add a '70 Z28 emblem to the black billet grille. Another differentiation could be a UltraZ hood instead of a SS hood. I would also go with polished wheels as opposed to chrome, but those are just personal opinions on how I would do the car.

Is Hill's still doing the paint?
Hey Zane, How are you doing, haven't seen or heard from you in a while. Need to have you over for dinner and a detail party!

Yep, Hill's is going to do the paint, just rustling up cash for all the mods I have planned. The current wait is about 6 to 10 months down the road.

Not a big fan of the Ultra Z hood myself. I agree, the polished wheels would save some weight over chrome.

I've been hearing some not so good things about the BMR springs lately, Hotchkis is an opion for sure, and shocks are a must, still have the stockers on there, plan on doing some Bilstein revalves when I do the drop.

Getting ready to swap the clutch out for a Ram HD next week, then the next month is a strange 12 bolt with 4:10's.

You have me completely addicted to detailing, thanks for all of your advice!!

G
Old 02-17-2005, 04:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

FWIW... the 30th Anniversary Z and SS as well as the 35th SS had a body colored roof.

Quick Reply: body colored roof top