Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oil cooler

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default oil cooler

anybody here use an oil cooler for the ls1 if so what kit and where did you get it from? Also did you gain anything by doing this? thanks kenny
Old 02-16-2005, 03:29 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flippincamaro
anybody here use an oil cooler for the ls1 if so what kit and where did you get it from? Also did you gain anything by doing this? thanks kenny

yeah....I use a Setrab oil cooler mounted out in the front bumper where the foam WOULD be (I made my car a mouth breather), 10AN lines, and a dual remote filter....

water temps sit at about 170, oil temps are about 160........takes a lot of WOT to get the oil temps up to 200 and they come back down quick.....water never moves....
Old 02-16-2005, 04:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Best way to cool a fluid is with another fluid. IE: having a cooler built into your radiator etc. I run the LG motorsports "supercool" radiator that has a built in oil cooler. Works great.

ALOT of people go the route mentioned above. Nothing wrong with it at all. Alot of race cars are set up that way as well. There are a TON of options for cooling fluids. Depending on how much you want to spend will be a big deciding factor on how you set it up.

For my diff and trans I use a Fluidyne cooler that has a fan built onto it. that way I dont have to mount anything in the air path. But for both of these applications it also requires a tilton fluid pump (or comparible). Spendy, but it works great.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:22 PM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Originally Posted by NataSS Inc
Best way to cool a fluid is with another fluid. IE: having a cooler built into your radiator etc. I run the LG motorsports "supercool" radiator that has a built in oil cooler. Works great.

ALOT of people go the route mentioned above. Nothing wrong with it at all. Alot of race cars are set up that way as well. There are a TON of options for cooling fluids. Depending on how much you want to spend will be a big deciding factor on how you set it up.

For my diff and trans I use a Fluidyne cooler that has a fan built onto it. that way I dont have to mount anything in the air path. But for both of these applications it also requires a tilton fluid pump (or comparible). Spendy, but it works great.
Any fitment issues with the LG piece? I would highly doubt that it slides in, but is the tweaking to get it in all that bad?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

You do have to do a bit of grinding with a dremel to get the LG unit to mate with the fans and shroud. Other than that it is a drop in piece. Even has fittings to hold your AC crap if your still running it.

Took me all of about an hour with a dremel to get it fitted right.
Old 02-16-2005, 04:30 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boyce, did you mount your LG radiator at a different angle than stock, i.e. more vertical? Also, are you venting the radiator through the hood yet?
Old 02-16-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Senior Member

Cal, It is still at the stock angle. I just havent had time or motivation yet to begin tackling some of the big fab projects since the motor went south on me.

I am still working on a way of venting under hood pressure. I have a couple of ideas but nothing solid yet. I am thinking of copying the CTS-V race car hood vents for this. the car is also going to be converted to a front breather. I am working with a guy right now to havea jig built up so I can start fabbing all of that.
Old 02-17-2005, 01:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

so would the basic engine oil cooler like in jegs that supports up to 500hp work screw on to my factory filter location? thanks kenny
Old 02-17-2005, 02:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

You will have to get a by pass that plugs in where the vette oil sender goes. On the Fbody you can take it off and pu an adaptor there to run the lines to the cooler. OR Canton makes a block off plate that has -10 fittings that plugs where the filter goes. This way you can set it up for a remote filter and run the cooler in line.

WAY to many options for setting up an oil cooler. P
Old 02-17-2005, 04:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

i am confused my ls1 came from an 01 trans am. so the pointed thing right above the oil filter take it off and scew something there to hook my lines to and take my factory filter off and plug that hole right or wrong then where do i run it back to?
Old 02-17-2005, 08:01 PM
TECH Veteran

i am confused my ls1 came from an 01 trans am. so the pointed thing right above the oil filter take it off and scew something there to hook my lines to and take my factory filter off and plug that hole right or wrong then where do i run it back to?

one or the other....not both....

you can EITHER run a truck style oil cooler adapter (what LG sells)

OR

you can remove the filter and run the Canton adapter there

I HAD the Canton adapter (about to put it up for sale if you are interested) but I just recently went and welded up my oil pan to have AN fittings directly on the pan
Old 02-17-2005, 09:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

so will the canton adapter force oil to flow through the cooler? how much do you want for it. So if i got that i would have to get the cooler and lines and that would be all right? let me know thanks kenny
Old 02-17-2005, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

so will the canton adapter force oil to flow through the cooler? how much do you want for it. So if i got that i would have to get the cooler and lines and that would be all right? let me know thanks kenny

The adapter will go IN PLACE OF the stock filter which means you will HAVE to put a remote filter mount. Think of it as putting lines between the engine and the in and out ports on the oil filter. Once that is one, you have oil going from the block, out your lines to your filter, through the filter, and back to the engine through another line. You oil cooler goes in the return leg of the oil system (after the filter).

understand?
Old 02-18-2005, 12:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

thanks alot sure do now that was easy just confused me till you explained how much do you want for yours thanks kenny