Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Longer Stud experience (Moser 9")

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 10:06 AM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Longer Stud experience (Moser 9")

I thought I'd share this to save someone else the problems I had.

I took the axles out of my Moser 9" to get longer studs pressed in (they told me not to come back to the track this year unless I got them). Anyway, I took them up to a perf shop that claimed they worked on Mosers ALL the time. They cut the old ones off, replaced the studs (ARP100-7708 if you want to know) & pressed the new bearings on. Cake right?

NOT! They installed the stock type bearings cause they are cheaper & I don't need the o-ring type. (MOser concurred on this part) But, they also used the stock press-ring that holds the bearing on. Problem is it doesn't fit our rear ends. Those are 1/2' thicker & the axles won't go all the way into the housing! Moser sent me the right ones for $4 ea.

So, if you are going to do this, do yourself a favor & call Moser to order the right bearings & press rings & take them to the shop with you. Or waste 2 weeks running around getting it fixed like I did.
Old 02-20-2005, 01:55 AM
10 Second Club

That's good to know, thanks!
Old 02-20-2005, 02:54 AM
Restricted User

Correct me if I am wrong, but you took your axles out to put new longer wheels studs in? Why not do them yourself? Not being an ***, but thats a relatively easy, quick job with everyday tools? Frankly I'd be pissed if the shop screwed it up like that.

Charlie
Old 02-20-2005, 07:01 PM
10 Second Club

Everyday tools? Not on my Moser 9". The bearings are held in with 'press rings' that need to be cut off & then new ones pressed back on. Both require serious tools. And my backing plates don't have holes in them, so the bearings had to be removed to install studs. Not all rear ends are created equally....
Old 02-20-2005, 10:38 PM
11 Second Club

jesus.. I have a moser 9" and am looking to do the same thing to prep for some drag rims. So you had to take the axles out, cut off the old bearings, swap studs and then re-press.... The new axles are 60-70 bucks (if I remember from when I had a shop press my "L" plate onto my "R" axle )

DAMN this isn't what I was hoping to hear about this task. I thought somone said you could just unscrew the studs and pop them out of a hole in the backing plates or something?

either way thanks for the heads up.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:02 PM
Restricted User

That explains it then. I wasnt sure about the backing plates, are these aftermarket, or are holes not sized in proportion to the new axle flanges? I dont have a Moser, but its good info for me to know. Thanks.

Charlie
Old 02-21-2005, 01:58 PM
10 Second Club

So, if you have a hole in your backing plate that lines up with a stud, you can probably just pop your studs out & hammer new ones back in. But if you do not have a hole, like I don't, then you have to take your axles into the shop.

If you need to take them to the shop, I would order the new bearings from Moser to 1) get the right ones & 2) pay a LOT less for them. As for unscrewing the studs, if yours have a bolt head on them then yes. Most are round, meaning they press in.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:38 PM
11 Second Club

My axles have 10 holes...5 for press in studs and 5 for screw in studs. Is that odd?

WAHUSKER- do you know the # for the bearings they used for your axles? I had to change mine when I put the moser in my car because it came from an LT1 car and had a hard time finding the right tapered bearings. Even moser wasn't much help.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:06 AM
8 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When i put new studs in I took the ABS/TCS sensor out and pushed the studs in and out through the hole. I also have the moser 9"
Old 02-22-2005, 07:05 PM
11 Second Club

so do you seriously just beat the hell out of them to get them out and then use nuts and washers to re-seat the new ones?

I wish someone had a writeup on installing new studs.
Old 03-07-2005, 05:18 PM
Banned

ive replaced studs the same way before