Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Everything involved with a lift....

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Everything involved with a lift....

My buddy has a 8 car garage and he wants a lift in one of the bays. It has a 14' ceiling where the lift will go.....

But I'm confused on what all goes with a lift....like concrete, accessories, and what kind of lift. Thanks for anyone who can provide help.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I personally like my www.backyardbuddy.com four post lift.
Old 02-19-2005, 01:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm partial to Mohawk two-posts, but they're pricey. I talked to one of their reps concerning putting a lift into the house my wife and I would like to build. They said minimum of 12' ceiling height...4000 psi concrete/4.5" depth minimum...floor must be level...220V single phase power. These are the requirements for their lifts, but they will vary by manufacturer.

http://www.mohawklifts.com/index.php
Old 02-20-2005, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by LawmanSS
I'm partial to Mohawk two-posts, but they're pricey. I talked to one of their reps concerning putting a lift into the house my wife and I would like to build. They said minimum of 12' ceiling height...4000 psi concrete/4.5" depth minimum...floor must be level...220V single phase power. These are the requirements for their lifts, but they will vary by manufacturer.

Can't find a price on the website, what do the Mohawks normally run, they are a really nice set up...
Old 02-20-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was told 4"-6" of concrete for the lift I wanted. But in the garage I want built I want drains in the floor so mybe that matters?

I have seen a few installed and it was realy easy they built it (2post with the crossbeam on top) on the floor then lifted it up. Drilled holes in the concrete with a hammering drill, moved the posts away for the holes hammered in a steel piece in the hole, moved the lift back to the holes and used a air gun to screw it back down! All done in less than 2hr.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:46 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
My buddy has a 8 car garage and he wants a lift in one of the bays. It has a 14' ceiling where the lift will go.....

But I'm confused on what all goes with a lift....like concrete, accessories, and what kind of lift. Thanks for anyone who can provide help.
I'm partial to 2 post clear floor lifts. My buddy just bought an eagle 10,000 pound 2 post, it looks pretty nice. They are pretty reasonable. You already have the concrete floor, so it would be hard to change it. I like at least 6" of concrete but you probably will be OK with less. All you need is 220v power, setup to drill concrete (hammer drill & masonry bit) and some anchor bolts.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:20 PM
TECH Resident

Two post, symmetrical here. If you have the ceiling height, go with a Asymmetrical. 14ft is right about the cutoff. They make it much easier to open the doors and get out.

We had our garage done in 4" cement with 6" where the lift posts would go. Lift company said that 4" was ok, but the cement company liked 6" for lifts, so we went on the safe side. They had the thing installed in less than 2 hours as well, looked pretty simple actually. I think we paid $2400 brand new and installed with a reputable local company.
Old 02-22-2005, 03:54 PM
On The Tree

2 post Asymmetrical is my vote for the best lift out there.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:01 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've got a 2 post asymmetrical on about 4" of concrete and a 12'-6" ceiling. If you look around a lot, you can find some good deals. You should weigh your useage against the money that some of the high-end lifts cost (such as Rotary and some high end Eagles). I bought a Hanmecson 10,000 lb Pro-V10 from www.gregsmithequipment.com. It works really well for what I do and it is good quality. A couple of friends and I installed it in a day. Eagle also has some very nice economical lifts (check ebay too). One thing to consider is 2 post vs 4 post and what kind of work you do. When you think about cost, don't forget the electrical requirements (cost me about $150).
Old 03-07-2005, 03:20 PM
Launching!

I've used 4 post before, but I'm getting ready to build a BIG garage for my cars. Seems like I'm changing tires more than anything so a 2 post seems to be the way to go. Any disadvantages to a 2 post?
Old 03-07-2005, 08:02 PM
TECH Addict

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by LawmanSS

We've had a Mohawk for the past 19 years. It has worked excellent, until we started to use it as a storage device. After 2 years with a car on it, it would not pump up off of the locks. We called the tech help, and the guy walked us through it in about 20 minutes. It has worked perfect since then. IMO can't ask for any more of a quality product.

Dad's garage has 12" thick concrete where the lifts are. Overbuilt, but it has worked perfect for the last 19 years.

Quick Reply: Everything involved with a lift....