Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Prothane motor mount probems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2005, 06:48 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Prothane motor mount probems!!!

Ok I have take them stock ones out and replaced them with the prothane mounts. My problem is they are not the same they seem like they are for one side only. The Tab is up just like stock but the metal that runs through it sticks out further on one end than the other. With both tabs up the mounts are like this the -- is the metal sticking out of the mount. I think i got 2 of one side...

Left mount Right

--mount- -mount--

Anyone have any ideas....??

Last edited by Smoke T/A; 02-21-2005 at 11:15 AM.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

As long as the metal is to the top it should be ok.I dont believe there is a L/R.I know mine were'nt L/R.
Old 02-20-2005, 10:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

No I don't think you have two of one side you have to do some kind of cutting. The guy that is installed mine today said they had to do something extra. I'll pm him and tell him about this post but you might have your answer by the time he replys tomorrow.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:10 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ZR2877
No I don't think you have two of one side you have to do some kind of cutting. The guy that is installed mine today said they had to do something extra. I'll pm him and tell him about this post but you might have your answer by the time he replys tomorrow.

I thought these were stock replacemnts? It says no where on the instructions where i have to cut them to get them to fit. It only says about drilling out the rivets and bolting it back together.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by WhiteRhino
As long as the metal is to the top it should be ok.I dont believe there is a L/R.I know mine were'nt L/R.

The notches are to the top but that is not my problem. The mounts have about half an inch sticking out on one side and about a 1/8th sticking out on the other. I'm talking about the metal that protrudes that you put the motor mount bolt through. It is causing the motor to sit cockeyed and not line up with any thing. Hell my headers are way off.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:04 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Smoke T/A
I thought these were stock replacemnts? It says no where on the instructions where i have to cut them to get them to fit. It only says about drilling out the rivets and bolting it back together.

They are stock replacements, ZR2877 just mis understood what I told him yesterday,we dropped the K member to install his mounts/ timing chain/ and oil pump etc and I told him there would be extra labor because I didn't know he had purchased the polyurathan mounts I thought they were stock mounts with the clam shells. If you have the tab at the top and they fit flush in the shells, it sounds like something else may be keeping the motor from dropping in.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Apprentice

Here is a picture

The metal things stick out further on one side than the other making the engine **** eyed. They are on oppsite sides and yes i have them flush with the clam shells.

Is this how they go?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:27 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Seems a lot of people have problems with these.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:32 AM
TECH Apprentice

That is the way mine are and I had no problems . I am thinking they were installed incorrectly . I did mine when I had the motor rebuilt , so I had the perches off the car and I mocked it all up to get a understanding of how it went together once it is all bolted to the car . Something must have been put together incorrectly .
Old 02-21-2005, 11:52 AM
TECH Veteran

The ones we did yeasterday we not exact but were not off as much as the ones in the picture and since we didn't that problem I dont know if you and push the center part in on the one to get it equall to the other. But also make sure when bolted to the engine the tab is to the top on both sides.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

The notches are to the top but that is not my problem. The mounts have about half an inch sticking out on one side and about a 1/8th sticking out on the other. I'm talking about the metal that protrudes that you put the motor mount bolt through. It is causing the motor to sit cockeyed and not line up with any thing. Hell my headers are way off.
If its that far off,i would send them back.It seems like when the prothane was poured or however they do it,it wasnt centered right.I'm pretty sure you cant beat the metal center without ripping the prothane since its molded in it.I know mine were pretty close to center,maybe a 1/8" or so different.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by ss rally red
The ones we did yeasterday we not exact but were not off as much as the ones in the picture and since we didn't that problem I dont know if you and push the center part in on the one to get it equall to the other. But also make sure when bolted to the engine the tab is to the top on both sides.

Mine are just like the pictures.

Can't send them back bought them off a member here about 6 months ago.
Old 02-21-2005, 01:45 PM
10 Second Club

They are supposed to be off center. Maybe installer error? When looking at the clam shell, the tabs are supposed to face the three holes you drilled out that are Parallel of each other. Something sounds off, mine to look just like the ones in the picture, just red..

Dan
Old 02-21-2005, 01:50 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DanZ28
They are supposed to be off center. Maybe installer error? When looking at the clam shell, the tabs are supposed to face the three holes you drilled out that are Parallel of each other. Something sounds off, mine to look just like the ones in the picture, just red..

Dan

Dan,

Well I have them in the clam shells right but the motor just dosen't want to sit down all the way. On side goes in and the other is out. I'm about to get the BFH after it.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Dan,

Well I have them in the clam shells right but the motor just dosen't want to sit down all the way. On side goes in and the other is out. I'm about to get the BFH after it.

Oh yeah they do fit tight now . I used a pry bar to get mine to sit down on the pedistal all the way on the drivers side .
Old 02-21-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1999T/A
Oh yeah they do fit tight now . I used a pry bar to get mine to sit down on the pedistal all the way on the drivers side .

Got them in finally had to use a pry bar to get the divers side in. I really don't see how this motor will move.

Thanks to all!!!