Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 03:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion

OK, here's some prototypes made by SLP (I think) that were never put into production. Notice the hood is extended forward to cover part of the headlight area. I think I can make a similar design as far as the lens and overall shape, minus the hood modifications. Do you guys think this is a nice look?

Name:  firehawk1.jpg
Views: 4998
Size:  28.7 KB
Name:  prototype98firehawkheadlights1.gif
Views: 2307
Size:  27.5 KB
Name:  PrototypeFirebirdLights1.jpg
Views: 2089
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  PrototypeFirebirdLights4.jpg
Views: 2064
Size:  17.1 KB

Name:  prototype98firehawkheadlights2.jpg
Views: 3240
Size:  71.2 KB

I will be using a projector for the main light. I can probably convert it to be both low beam as well as high beam while using either the H7 bulb or HID bulbs. So should I only mount a single projector in the middle of the light or should I move it a little to the outside and then mount some old rectangular sealed beams for high beam (like the prototypes) on the insides. I could mount a set of cool round foglights like the Breathless lights use. It would be just for looks, as I'll probably use the projectors for both high and low. I can also buy a second pair of projectors to mount as high beams using a regular H7 bulb. This would probably look the best, but is quite expensive adding about $190 to the total cost.
I've also found some nice, clear, moldable lens material to shape like the prototypes above.

Should I go with the above factory shape or design something more different looking? Like this:

It's kind of a bulged design, but looks pretty good.

I could also forgo the clear lens altogether and leave the projectors out in the open with only the surrounding gaps filled in. Like this:

This is the Speckterwerks headlight. I like it but I'm afraid a rock might come along and crack one of the projector lenses. At least with the solid plastic cover it will be protected. If IT gets cracked, I'll have to make another one which seems a lot cheaper and easier to do than replace the projector.

So what advice do you guys have on what would look best?

BTW, this is going on a black 99 TA.

Last edited by JasonWW; 05-04-2008 at 10:47 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:58 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

how are you going to get around the extended hood thing? if it could be done as a direct swap out for the pop ups i may be interested. looks clean. the c5 lights look like a afterthought. they kind of ruin the lines of the hood IMHO. and the projecters for both lights would look best. i can understand wanting to keep the hi beams sealed though as i, at least, rarely use my hi beams.
Old 02-21-2005, 05:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

The hood thing is very simple. The headlight assembly will be the same size as the factory cover. The front will be clear and the top near the hood will be painted black.

I don't want to keep the sealed beams. I don't think I said that. I might be able to mount some cheap projector foglights into the highbeam position and then add matching shrouds around both lenses. That should make them look identical when turned off. I might convert the main projector to work as high as well as low beam and not use the cheap high beams except to make it look symetrical. Later when I add the HID bulbs to the main projector, it's high beam should be killer for high speed night driving out of town.

I'm just making them for me as I don't have any free time. They are also not going to be a direct swap out. It will be a lot of work. I'm going to try and make it reversable if possible and I will post the steps so others can build something similar, but I can't make them for other people.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:07 AM
TECH Senior Member

Here is a hypothetical picture using dual projectors. Does that look pretty bitchen or what?
Name:  firehawk11dualprojectors.jpg
Views: 2090
Size:  28.4 KB

Should I lean towards that look?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:11 AM
Launching!

http://www.breathlessperformance.com...53firebird.asp
Old 02-21-2005, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

i like that look. i would buy it. i'm sure any good body shop could extend your hood like that.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:28 PM
10 Second Club

I actually really like that, i'd buy a pair, but not for the 1000 breathless is asking for theirs
Old 02-21-2005, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

I like that. I think it looks really good. I would buy the breathless ones but I think they want way too much for them
Old 02-21-2005, 07:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

im in if you can make some for a 95 i have a guy who could extend my hood
Old 02-21-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Resident

that looks bad *** what would something like that cost? something near breathless cost?
Old 02-28-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Senior Member

No guys, these are not to be sold. I just barely have time to make one set for my car. I was just looking for ideas on what direction to go in.

Phoenix H.O., what is your headlight setup like? You say you have HID's in there, I'd like to know more.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

i def like the look of the narrower SLP prototypes, the idea of extending the hood slightly really makes them work well. i wouldnt do any kind of bump up like the vettes, like said before it seems to ruin the lines of the hood. the dual projector (round) lights is def the way to go, looks badass
Old 02-28-2005, 11:24 AM
TECH Senior Member

I may be FORCED to add a bump in the cover just to fit the projector inside. I'll have to wait and see until I do some mockups of the parts. I may also extend the covers forward for a more aerodynamic look as well as to be different.
Old 02-28-2005, 11:19 PM
ACW
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting project! I think extending the covers forward would look good.

Refresh on this pic or copy the URL into a new window, sometimes it doesn't show up the first time.

http://image04.webshots.com/4/4/41/8...5VKAoXo_ph.jpg
FYI, unfortunately direct use of Webshots images never works without copying/pasting the address into a new window... when it's seemed like it sometimes works for you, you're just seeing the cached copy of the image, saved on your computer from the last time you viewed it via pasting the address. Somebody who hasn't gone to it that way will never see it load here. The best way to link to stuff at Webshots is to link to the 'album page' instead of straight to the image file.
Old 03-01-2005, 07:40 AM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah, I can't stand that link not working, so I just hosted it on MY server. Problem solved.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:07 PM
On The Tree

looks alot like the gto in the front, dont likey sorry! breathless are ugly too !trans ams where made to pop up lights, if you dont like it then go buy a camaro.but on the other hand im all ways up for a change too so to that good luck at what ever you deciede
Old 03-02-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say keep all the lights round like the ones on the new C6 Corvette. The retangle just doesn't seem to look right.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LS1POWER98
trans ams where made to pop up lights, if you dont like it then go buy a camaro.
Trans Ams have a long history of fixed lights. Maybe your just younger than me and are used to seeing popups and that's why you associate them with camaros. The "go buy a camaro instead" is just a horrible mentality to have. You sound like a T/A hater or something. I like both cars so it's no big deal to me. When you have to pull your headlights and fix the motors about 4 or 5 times because the gears strip, you will wish you had fixed lights as well. It's not fun, neither is the sound they make.

So you don't like any of the different fixed designs? That's all you have to say.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JasonWW
So you don't like any of the different fixed designs? That's all you have to say.
Well, actually whenever someone doesn't like something on this board that means it's "rice".
Old 03-03-2005, 10:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I really like those SLP prototypes. The Breathless ones are way too much money.

Quick Reply: Need advice on TA fixed headlight conversion