Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

98 Camaro motor with 95k miles????

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 03:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 98 Camaro motor with 95k miles????

Ok I just received my LS1. Ok for the history, This motor was pulled out wednesday of last week. I just received it today. It has motor , tranny, computer, wiring harness, Driveshaft, all sensors, exhaust, etc......

Now one question I have is since this motor has higher mileage, and I know absolutely nothing about it. I need to know what you guys recommend me doing with it. I have been reading and learned a few things from you guys. But I am always looking for more advice. I have been told that the pushrods are junk, the oil pump tends to go out with higher mileage. Also I am wanting to put a new timing chain on it. And Wouldnt mind putting a little above average cam in this thing.

Now come on guys give me some radical ideas for a really different project.

Here is a list of the current list of parts I have for my truck.

1957 Chevy Pickup Truck
Ford 9" rear end 3.00 posi unit
Billet specialties GTP53 rims 315x35x17's in rear 255x45x17's front
98 LS1 motor and 4L60E tranny
2 link rear suspension
Aluminum driveshaft
IFS

Also if you guys have a cam or cam kit for sale at a very very cheap price let me know. Did I mention cheap?????

Give me some feedback guys Need some engine techies to tell me what to do to make the motor reliable. Also this will be my daily driver in for when i start college in July In Wyoming.
Old 02-21-2005, 03:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestion is either just "freshen" it up with new OEM stock parts such as rings, bearings, chain etc. or if you have a few bucks to spend do pistons, good rotating assembly, cam and springs, trick oil pump, good heads then balance it all real good and blueprint it. Don't try to go half-way on a performance rebuild......either build a performance engine or a stock motor.
Old 02-21-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Addict

Careful with "freshening up" that engine. 98 sleeves can only handle a hone. If it needs to be bored it is junk. It would need to be re-sleeved, and for your purpose you would probably be better off buying a shortblock.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

The stock rods are considered a weak link if your shooting nitrous, but aftermarket rods are cheap so you might as well replace them while its apart if you want but it dosent sound like you would need to to suit your needs. Manely makes a real good push rod. Might as well swap them out while your at it. For the oil pump i would just wait for it to go out before i replaced it. When it does, you can just get a ported LS6/LS1 pump for the price one cost new.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1powered57chevyP/U
Ok I just received my LS1. Ok for the history, This motor was pulled out wednesday of last week. I just received it today. It has motor , tranny, computer, wiring harness, Driveshaft, all sensors, exhaust, etc......

Now one question I have is since this motor has higher mileage, and I know absolutely nothing about it. I need to know what you guys recommend me doing with it. I have been reading and learned a few things from you guys. But I am always looking for more advice. I have been told that the pushrods are junk, the oil pump tends to go out with higher mileage. Also I am wanting to put a new timing chain on it. And Wouldnt mind putting a little above average cam in this thing.

Now come on guys give me some radical ideas for a really different project.

Here is a list of the current list of parts I have for my truck.

1957 Chevy Pickup Truck
Ford 9" rear end 3.00 posi unit
Billet specialties GTP53 rims 315x35x17's in rear 255x45x17's front
98 LS1 motor and 4L60E tranny
2 link rear suspension
Aluminum driveshaft
IFS

Also if you guys have a cam or cam kit for sale at a very very cheap price let me know. Did I mention cheap?????

Give me some feedback guys Need some engine techies to tell me what to do to make the motor reliable. Also this will be my daily driver in for when i start college in July In Wyoming.
I bought my 98 Z-28 with 92,000 miles on the odometer. I switched to Amsoil 10w-40 synthetic, and when It had 98,000 miles on it, I pulled the heads to change them and checked the cylinder walls. They were in excellent shape. Virtually no wear that I could tell. I put on the Patriot Heads, installed a new cam, lifters, & oil pump. and the engine has 102,000 miles on it now.

It makes good power and does not burn any oil.

I just changed the cam out, if you want it. It is a Lunati # 55006 and the specs are: 224/224 - 560/560 @ 112 LSA.

It did not have enough bottom end for me, but it is strong in the midrange and uper rpm.

I paid almost $400 for it. I need to get at least $250.00 for it now. It is in excellent shape.
Old 02-22-2005, 11:03 AM
Teching In

After purchasing the motor I am kind of low on funds. However I am glad too hear that your engine is still doing well with higher miles. Thanks for the info.
Old 02-22-2005, 01:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1powered57chevyP/U
After purchasing the motor I am kind of low on funds. However I am glad too hear that your engine is still doing well with higher miles. Thanks for the info.
I can relate to being low on funds. I just had enough to change my cam out and put everything back together. I hope the engine will go alot further, because I am now flat broke!
Old 02-22-2005, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

At least pull the oil pan off and check all the bearings. If the motor was maintained, everything should be in good shape. Doing this will also show any sludge that may have built up if the previous owner/s didn't change the oil often enough. It would also be wise to pull the heads off to check the cylinder walls. Even if this motor somehow turns out to need a rebuild, go ahead and do it even though it'll cost extra to resleeve it. You won't be able to sell it and get some of your $ back and put that towards a new shortblock, so it'll still be cheaper in the long run to rebuild it instead of eating the cost of buying it and buying another shortblock. The stock crank and rods can handle alot of abuse, more so than an LT1, so if you were to rebuild it, reconditioning those parts and using ARP bolts and throwing in some decent forged pistons like Speed Pro's, a decent cam, and some headwork, you'll still have a pretty stout, reliable motor for your truck. Stock LS1's can handle 150hp shot, some more. It's all in how well you keep it tuned for spray.

Jason
Old 02-22-2005, 06:01 PM
TECH Resident

I would do a leak down test first. This is probably the best way to tell the condition of your engine.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:23 PM
TECH Addict

You should have built a 350. It would be a much cheaper build for your purpose, and you could probably get more power for your dollar. This type of engine is not the kind you want to play with when funds are short and you need a rebuild.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:26 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the info guys. I will check the parts and see where i stand from this point.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:38 PM
12 Second Club

Go for a short block and dont miss your mind with a lot of things.........
Old 02-24-2005, 03:53 PM
Teching In

I would love to have a 6.0 iron bottom end. I am looking for a complete short block. But I have not had any luck finding one. If anyone has anything let me know.