Tools & Fabrication Hand | Power | Hydraulic | Pneumatic | Welding | Painting

Screwdrivers of choice?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Screwdrivers of choice?

I have mostly Snap-on industrial smaller screw drivers with a black handle (hard to find when left in engine bay) and my collection gets smaller as the days go by. I got them on eBay for a good price tho.

I figure I can sell all of my Snap-on stuff and buy a new set that's not quite as overpriced.

I'd like a set with strong tips, brightly colored and that come in a wide variety of sizes. If they can double as a prybar, that would be a bonus.

What do you guys use?
Old 02-21-2005, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For most stuff, regular craftsman cheap ones, Orange handles, and decent tips.

For electric work, i like the KLEIN rubber handled units.

The older Craftsman profesional ones were nice, with a 6 sided shank where you could attach a small wrench on it if needed, nice black handles. The newer ones are nowhere near as strong, and i don't care for the look/feel of them.

Ryan
Old 02-21-2005, 05:43 PM
Teching In

klein screwdrivers are my favorite now, and thats comming from a guy with a nice snap-on set.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Their website sucks. I used to sell them to electrical contractors but didn't sell many of them. It seems like the nice ones have a black handle and only come in 5 sizes.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:38 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Tech
Their website sucks. I used to sell them to electrical contractors but didn't sell many of them. It seems like the nice ones have a black handle and only come in 5 sizes.

I dont think so... the black rubber locked in a plastic inner core klein screwdrivers comes in more sizes that one would need.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Their website only lists a "set" of 5. I'd like to just buy a complete set and be done with it.
Old 02-22-2005, 05:48 AM
TECH Senior Member

I like the way snapon screw drivers feel so I pay a few extra for em
Old 02-22-2005, 10:10 AM
Launching!

I have a big toolbox full of everthing snap-on including screwdrivers, but I don't use them. Like everyone else said, I use klein. I am an electrician, so I use my kleins everyday and love them. They are much more visible then the all black snap-ons, and in my opinion they hold their edges longer too. Not to mention with the rubber grips they are less likely to slip out of your hands like the all plastic snap-ons. The set of 5 you are referring to is just a basic starter set of drivers, they actually make about 20+ different sizes of screwdrivers. Check out the Home Depot, they sell kleins in the electrical section there.
Old 02-22-2005, 10:59 AM
Launching!

Oh yeah, kleins are guarenteed for life too. If you break it bring it back to the depot or any electrical supply house that sells them and you get a new one for free, just like craftsmen. Having used both screwdrivers though, I wouldn't even put craftsmen in the same category as klein. I'd buy stanley before I'd buy craftsmen.
Old 02-22-2005, 12:55 PM
TECH Veteran

I used Stanley almost exclusively; they are dirt cheap and decent...
Old 02-22-2005, 08:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleBlackRamAirT/A
I have a big toolbox full of everthing snap-on including screwdrivers, but I don't use them. Like everyone else said, I use klein. I am an electrician, so I use my kleins everyday and love them. They are much more visible then the all black snap-ons, and in my opinion they hold their edges longer too. Not to mention with the rubber grips they are less likely to slip out of your hands like the all plastic snap-ons. The set of 5 you are referring to is just a basic starter set of drivers, they actually make about 20+ different sizes of screwdrivers. Check out the Home Depot, they sell kleins in the electrical section there.
All the "new" snap-on screwdrivers have rubber handles and have color on both sides. If my tip ever wears out I have my dealer break it in the vise when he replaces it.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:21 PM
Launching!

sounds good, i havent looked at any snapon tools in a while, been tryin to spend money on things other than tools and my car. i do know the snapon guy hooks you up for the most part. Besides, I'd have to say they are my favorite tools, just that theyre screwdrivers were inferior at the time.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:18 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Gen3Benz
All the "new" snap-on screwdrivers have rubber handles and have color on both sides. If my tip ever wears out I have my dealer break it in the vise when he replaces it.
I got some of those newer Snap On's last month. Red/black soft handle. I used them for the first time last week, and they are night and day from using the Craftsman's I bought this summer. Next time I need more, I'll definitely get more Snap On's. They just feel good in my hands. I also got the $140 set off ebay for about $80 shipped brand new.
Old 02-23-2005, 02:36 PM
On The Tree

"been tryin to spend money on things other than tools and my car. i do know the snapon guy hooks you up for the most part. Besides"

Who wants to do that?

Quick Reply: Screwdrivers of choice?