Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx

Black Cars

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 06:07 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Black Cars

I know this has been a beat up topic but I have to ask again. What techniques do you guys who have the onyx cars use to keep them in as close to as possible showroom condition. I mean my car has no scratchs/dents/chips but there are those damn fine scracthes that you only see when the light is right. AND I HATE IT! What can be done, so that my car looks as good during the middle of the day as it does at night?
Old 02-21-2005, 06:33 PM
On The Tree

I want to know also! My car looks bad A$$ at night but in the day if the light hits it just right those little scratches are everywhere!
Old 02-21-2005, 06:39 PM
Tech Addict

Seriously, it is mostly all about the towels you use. Soft fluffy cotton towels and use the least amount of pressure to remove your wax.

It is an up hill battle, rain, wind, dirty water, you name it, it all scratches the surface.

I believe saving the clear coat from scratches is mostly with the way you wash & wax the surface...where the contact is met make it soft as can be.

The rest is all about hiding those micro scratches with Zaino, IMO.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:45 PM
TECH Addict

See the Porter Cable thread at the top of this forum.

Otherwise, refine your washing/drying/maintenance techniques. Quality mitts, leaf blower and waffle weave drying towels, and extreme care.
Old 02-21-2005, 07:11 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I appreciate it guys. I had a 94 z28 that was one of the nicer 94's that i had seen, but it was red. Then I went out and bought myself a black car....what a difference. It was like WHOA, you gotta watch out about everything, and well Todd if your car looks that good. Ill try to emulate your ways as much as possible. I saw your cars in the car show pics and HOLY SH*T that thing is perfect!
Old 02-21-2005, 08:31 PM
10 Second Club

Yea i went from a dealer bird to my black truck WORLD of difference.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:59 PM
On The Tree

i dont really have the time or money to buy my own porter cable and buff my entire car so if i just give a detailer $70 to do it for me can i pretty much keep those fine lines out of it buy using nice microfibers and using very little pressure?
Old 02-21-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by AltrdPrcptn
i dont really have the time or money to buy my own porter cable and buff my entire car so if i just give a detailer $70 to do it for me can i pretty much keep those fine lines out of it buy using nice microfibers and using very little pressure?
There's a whole lot more to it than just that.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:18 PM
On The Tree

If it's a daily driver, you're SOL.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:26 PM
CT Hotness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Honestly, I use a sponge only twice before throwing it out and use a very clean 100% cotton towel. Some people think the sponge thing it crazy, but you can get sponges cheap and they hold a lot of dirt inside them that can put fine scratches in your car. I spend the extra few bucks to buy new ones all the time
Old 02-21-2005, 10:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

My car has 8,800 miles on it and it's swirl marked when the light hits it. Unless you want to take extreme care with the car and learn how to really detail it black is just going to get fine scratches. It annoys me too but I figure there's nothing I can really do about it because A, they are already there... and B, I am not willing to spend hours and hours detailing it.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Its a hard battle to fight. Just keep a good coat of wax and always use good/soft towels when drying.
Old 02-21-2005, 10:49 PM
Tech Addict

It really is hard to remember every trick...here is another, if I am looking for a show wax finish, do not use a towel that has been washed. After it has been washed it shrinks and is not as soft, also soap seems to stay in the towel and makes it harder to keep the polish pure while wiping it off the car.

It may not make sense but the soap even has an effect on the way the polish reflects in the sun (Hazy looking).

I am a nut, what can I say.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Todd2001SS
It really is hard to remember every trick...here is another, if I am looking for a show wax finish, do not use a towel that has been washed. After it has been washed it shrinks and is not as soft, also soap seems to stay in the towel and makes it harder to keep the polish pure while wiping it off the car.

It may not make sense but the soap even has an effect on the way the polish reflects in the sun (Hazy looking).

I am a nut, what can I say.
How do you care for your towels?
Old 02-21-2005, 11:33 PM
Restricted User

When you apply soap with a mitt or towel or sponge, wipe in one direction (i.e. back and forth in a straight line) DO NOT SWIRL!!! That's one way to make those scratches VERY noticeable. I dry using a synthetic drying towel and finishing with a soft cotton towel. Do not apply pressure when drying, just lightly pull the towel across the surface. If one of my towels falls on the ground, it's garbage. Also try to wash at night or in the shade (but not under a tree because invariably something will fall on the paint, and if you don't notice it while your washing, scratch city). Beyond that, my detailing routine is quite simple. I use Zymol and supplement it with a "quick detailing" glaze every time I wash. I will say my paint is in very good condition to start with. It helps if your not trying to fix or hide scratches that the previous owner created.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:34 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ZaneO
How do you care for your towels?
After a wash they become drying towels. Taking the wax off is where I try my best to have the purest shine. During the summer May - Sept 1 = 16-17 weeks = 8 towels cut in half = 16 pieces = 1 waxing per week avg.

At the show this past weekend, the guy parked in front of me could not believe that it was the factory paint on my car, lol. Nothing is perfect, my car has a small chip in the hood, none on the sides fortunatly. Yes I can see those tiny micro marks after waxing but they are very minimal, but there.

I am not trying to say my car is perfect, I look at a lot of cars painted at shows that look worst though. Black is really a challenge.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Black is really a challenge.[/QUOTE]
I second that !! I just keep mine washed and waxed all the time, and another thing I do is when washing, wash the top half of the car first the wash the bottom half and rear bumper, since the bottom half always has the most dirt on it from the road!!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:02 AM
TECH Addict

What kind of wax does everyone use? I use NXT and it attractes dust like no other!!!
Old 02-22-2005, 10:16 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Todd2001SS
After a wash they become drying towels. Taking the wax off is where I try my best to have the purest shine. During the summer May - Sept 1 = 16-17 weeks = 8 towels cut in half = 16 pieces = 1 waxing per week avg.

At the show this past weekend, the guy parked in front of me could not believe that it was the factory paint on my car, lol. Nothing is perfect, my car has a small chip in the hood, none on the sides fortunatly. Yes I can see those tiny micro marks after waxing but they are very minimal, but there.

I am not trying to say my car is perfect, I look at a lot of cars painted at shows that look worst though. Black is really a challenge.
I meant how do you wash them, etc.? Detergent, etc.?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:22 AM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by ZaneO
I meant how do you wash them, etc.? Detergent, etc.?
Oh sorry Just in with the normal laundry.

Quick Reply: Black Cars