Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rumor about HP TUNERS?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2005, 08:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rumor about HP TUNERS?

Is there a new version coming out soon that would use the USB cable connection. I was going to order it today but, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to wait since my computer does not have a serial port on it. I dont want to spend the money on a new PCM card.

I heard that Version 2.0 is coming out in about a month and would support the USB.

When would you guys expect it to come out.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by desTRUCKtive
Is there a new version coming out soon that would use the USB cable connection. I was going to order it today but, I am wondering if it would be a good idea to wait since my computer does not have a serial port on it. I dont want to spend the money on a new PCM card.

I heard that Version 2.0 is coming out in about a month and would support the USB.

When would you guys expect it to come out.
Yeah I hope it comes out soon to because my computer has usb ports and no serial ports. I wonder if its going to be the same price?

lator

Yellow
Old 02-21-2005, 08:49 PM
11 Second Club

I would like to have a usb cable as well... Hopefully there will be a cheap upgrade
Old 02-21-2005, 09:08 PM
TECH Addict

I doubt it. I don't see the point. The OBD-II connection is a serial connection...if I am not mistaken, any USB connection would be through some sort of converter. They may offer it as a (more expensive) option I suppose just to make things easier for people I guess. I am anxious to hear one of them chime in.
Old 02-21-2005, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rumour is true... HPT 2.0 is the next major release... and from what I've heard, it'll offer a USB interface ...
Old 02-22-2005, 06:27 AM
FormerVendor

from the title of this thread i thought some really sinister was happening

Yes it's true, we will have a USB interface available soon. We will also continue to offer our existing serial version as well that can be used with a USB-serial adapter for USB only computers.

The new cable offers not only USB but also a number of other features that are required to meet our planned development roadmaps. eg. CAN protocol support for LS2 VCM's.

Details will be on our website as we get closer to release.

Chris...
Old 02-22-2005, 08:38 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by gameover

Chris Me

Nevermind.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:51 AM
TECH Junkie

Yes it's true, we will have a USB interface available soon. We will also continue to offer our existing serial version as well that can be used with a USB-serial adapter for USB only computers.

The new cable offers not only USB but also a number of other features that are required to meet our planned development roadmaps. eg. CAN protocol support for LS2 VCM's.

Chris...
For us guys that have the serial cable now, does that mean there is going to be another hardware upgrade that we have to purchase??? How many hardware upgrades are we going to have to do?
Old 02-22-2005, 10:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black02SS
For us guys that have the serial cable now, does that mean there is going to be another hardware upgrade that we have to purchase??? How many hardware upgrades are we going to have to do?
That would suck for the upgrade. Before what did you have to purchase for hardware upgrades. I would imagine that the both the USB and the serial will be both compatiable with the new version. I just bought mine yesterday, and I dont want to have to buy some upgrade later.
Old 02-22-2005, 02:08 PM
what a rush!

Chris...

damn! I just bought this PC serial card...but i would love to cut down on my cables. will this be an exchange item? or will we have to purchase it?
Old 02-22-2005, 03:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am VERY interested in this.

If I purchase it now, how much would I have to pay to upgrade to 2.xx when it comes out?

Chris
Old 02-22-2005, 05:10 PM
FormerVendor

don't panic, the existing cable will continue to work with the new software.

Unless you have the immediate need to tune LS2 vehicles there will be no need to upgrade to the next cable hardware unless you really want USB (or any of the other features that the new hardware offers).

If you buy now you will receive existing 1.6 software (with existing EIO or STD cable hardware) and the 2.0 software upgrade will be free when available. Hardware upgrades will not be free.

Cheers,

Chris...
Old 02-22-2005, 05:49 PM
what a rush!

don't panic, the existing cable will continue to work with the new software.

Unless you have the immediate need to tune LS2 vehicles there will be no need to upgrade to the next cable hardware unless you really want USB (or any of the other features that the new hardware offers).

If you buy now you will receive existing 1.6 software (with existing EIO or STD cable hardware) and the 2.0 software upgrade will be free when available. Hardware upgrades will not be free.

Cheers,

Chris...
what kind of a dent are we looking at?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:02 PM
Launching!

there will be no need to upgrade to the next cable hardware unless you really want USB (or any of the other features that the new hardware offers).
So in order to get 2.0 I'm going to have to pay $99 for my 1 year renewal fee(my support ran out) and in order to use it's features I'm going to have to pay $xxx for the new cable????
Old 02-22-2005, 06:16 PM
what a rush!

Originally Posted by TripleBlackRamAirT/A
So in order to get 2.0 I'm going to have to pay $99 for my 1 year renewal fee(my support ran out) and in order to use it's features I'm going to have to pay $xxx for the new cable????
I was just reading HPT sight, looks like the serial connection will support 2.0 software just fine.
Old 02-22-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Addict

Two questions:
1) What does this mean for EIO cables, and will I be able to get both in one cable for one low low price?
2) How are you guys (you don't need to be completely technical or give away any trade secrets here) converting to USB using your cable? Is it just using an integrated converter of some kind?
Old 02-22-2005, 06:46 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by Another_User
Two questions:
1) What does this mean for EIO cables, and will I be able to get both in one cable for one low low price?
2) How are you guys (you don't need to be completely technical or give away any trade secrets here) converting to USB using your cable? Is it just using an integrated converter of some kind?
pricing will be announced in due course, but yes the new cable will have EIO and USB options.

cable is a new design including the USB chipset and other goodies.
Old 02-22-2005, 07:04 PM
TECH Addict

pricing will be announced in due course, but yes the new cable will have EIO and USB options.

cable is a new design including the USB chipset and other goodies.
I hope it is less expensive than I think it will be...

Hey...while we are talking cables...will it be faster than the old one? And is it my imagination, or are 98s way slower for logging than later years? Maybe I need to tweak my serial settings?
Old 02-22-2005, 07:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

my 98 logs as fast as other ls1 scanners.

however, my usb ford datalooger is way faster than hptuners, but that is due to the communication protocol, not the usb port.

Ryan.
Old 02-22-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Addict

I think I see my problem. I have my serial interface setup way too slow. I should have considered that a long time ago, but I never new everyone elses was so fast until I started gathering other peoples log files. I will re-test tomorrow. I suspect I have been screwing myself...not very comfortable I might add. Kind of like riding in the backseat of a Volkswagon.