Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Raced a GTP

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 04:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Raced a GTP

I was on the highway, testing out the new alignment, when this GTP pulls up next to me in the fast lane. As he is going by, I move in behind him (getting around a semi). When I get behind him, he floors it . As he was leaving me behind I see his plate says 12SEC GP. I caught up to him a little ways down the road. I get beside him, I wave and give him the thumbs up, he does the same. We are at about 75-80, I dropped it into 3rd (A4) and gave it a little gas, and watched him to see if he was going to go, then we both hit it. From 75-80 to somewhere around 120 (traffic came up so I couldnt glance at the speedo) I had him at my drivers door. We pulled off at the next exit, shot the breeze in traffic. He said he had, pulley,cam, headers, and had run a best of 12.8 at 106. We complemented each other car, and crusied for a while.

Now, I am sure he hit it and was racing. But I dont see how I pulled 1/4 to 1/2 a car on him . I didnt do the ricer thing and jump on him when he wasnt looking. I waited for him to roll into the throttle and jump. Maybe I caught him off guard? Or maybe his car had no top end? I only have a lid. Though, soon the QTP's and duals will go on .

Either way, it was still fun. I havent encountered any challenges in this car. And the dude was cool.

Oh-was a while back-raced a newer Z3 from a 70 mph pull. I let off at 130, he was buslengths behind, but he let off sooner than I did, so hard to say how much I beat him.
Old 02-24-2005, 02:42 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I owned two GTPs ('97 and '99) that I mod'd pretty heavily. The '97 was a low 13sec car and the '99 was on it's way to a high 12sec car before it caught fire and burnt to the ground. They're mostly low end torque cars and don't pull "as" strong on the upper end. My '00 WS6 pulls better up top than either of my GTPs. When I first started moding them, I could very easily beat an LS1 out of the hole and put some distance on them early in a race. It was later in the race when the LS1's would start to reel me in. Then... it was only time for more mods. It got to a point where some LS1s never reeled me in.

There's even some GTPs in the low 12's or high 11's. There's also a caged GTP that's run in the high 10's.

What I liked about my GTPs, is that hardly anyone expected them to be as fast as they were. I'd surprise the hell out of a lot of drivers. I don't get that with my WS6. It's stone stock, but everyone expects it to fast... I think that's why I bought it.

Marc
Old 02-24-2005, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good run, my buddy's girls got a hooked up GTP it goes pretty good, it'll get out of its own way
BTLFEDSS
Old 02-24-2005, 04:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Hey whats up nytmare1 . You may have seen the GTP before.

Ok, that makes sense. I did pull him, but not hard. I want to go from a dig next time, and see if I can reel him in. I try not underestimate GTP's, especially ones that say 12SEC on the plate . A 10sec GTP, geez......I would imagine that only be a short time before the engine went I was going to get a GTP if I couldnt afford a Fbody once before, but couldnt pass up this TA.

And thats the only challenge I have gotten . I usually start the races .

Thats too many smileys in one post.....................
Old 02-24-2005, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

I have a 00 GTP and 01 TA and I'm not suprised you pulled him on the top end. Even though I've returned my GTP to near stock (ran 8.8 at the 1/8th mile), in its day there is no way it could hang with a LS1 in the top end. The GTP is all low end and makes a ton of torque, but it kind of falls on it's face after the 1/8th without cam, headers, intercooler and a tiny pulley

Old 02-24-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

We have a few quick GTP's around me, but I don't think there's one that can take me, especially on the street. Cool cars, they can take more people to the track than me.
Old 02-24-2005, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

An even better sleeper than the GTP is a Riveria or Regal with the S/C 3800 V6.
Old 02-25-2005, 08:25 AM
Kleeborp the Moderator™

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by psykoTA
Now, I am sure he hit it and was racing. But I dont see how I pulled 1/4 to 1/2 a car on him
His trap speed is why you pulled on him...his 12.8 means he probably got a good launch and pulled pretty hard out of the hole, but he didn't have much on top after that.

Nice kill...there's a few GTPs around here, and one has even revved at me while going the other way, but most of them are high school kids that think they are the fastest thing in the world.