Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Someone relieve my worries about.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 07:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Someone relieve my worries about.......

the rollmaster double roller timing chain. I have searched and read about 100 threads about this chain. I still worried about the install. I will be running stock pulley and the TSP ported LS6 oil pump. I understand that I need to make sure the new sprockets are seated all the way on the snout to eliminate any rubbing and put the shims on the oil timing cover the RIGHT way.

Does it make sense when you look at the different sprockets how they go on? Is there only one way they go on the snout and cam?

It sounds like there is a bunch of different dots on the crank gear for timing, how do I know which one to use to line the dots up vertically?

I will be running the "magic stick" cam. Will it still be installed dot to dot and which dots do I use?
Old 02-23-2005, 09:15 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The dot on the big sprocket is pretty obvious; the one on the small sprocket is hard to see especially with the oil pump in the way. Once you get the timing cover off, rotate the engine with a wrench until the dot on the large sprocket is at it's lowest point. You will also see #1 piston at the top if you have the heads off. Now look directly below it on the small sprocket and you will be looking at the correct dot. Don't rotate the engine again until the new sprocket is on.

BTW, why not save yourself all the stress and just put a jwis single chain on there? You don't need a double roller chain. Jwis chains are very good; there's a reason they cost more than a double roller chain.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

sorry to get off topic but i also have a roller master but i have a fluild dampner do i have to machine the end of it like i hear some people say they had to do.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:34 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I guess I am trying to save some money on the install by purchasing the rollmaster chain. Will I need to grind or machine anything using the rollmaster double timing chain?
Old 02-23-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I just got through installing mine a few weeks ago. There isn't really much to it. Like you said, the lower sprocket has multiple settings. The one you want should be marked by an obvious DOT and not a triangular shape if I remeber correctlly. Like Cal said, line your stock timing set up in the dot to dot method. The dot on the top sprocket will be at 6 o clock and the dot on the lower will be at 12 o clock. You can now remove everything and re-install the new set. Deffinatlly make sure the lower sprocket is set all the way on. For the spacers, they are obvious as to which goes where. I placed a very light skim of silicon on both sides to make sure there was no weepage. Then install and torque the bolts to spec. That should be about it. You'll have to check on the machining of the stock pully. I'm not sure on that one.