Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

quick wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 07:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default quick wiring question

I received my cold fusion purge kit the other day and im pondering a couple things about wiring it in.

1) does the momentary switch need to be protected by a relay or can i run it straight off 12v without burning it out? it would be easiest just to run one wire off the switch to the accessory 12v post in the engine compartment and the other through the noid to ground. it would ALWAYS be a hot circuit but if i could find a push-button with a flip-cover or something, i don't think i'd have a problem.

2) If i splice it into the nitrous system main circuit instead (so i would have to arm the system to purge) which wire should i splice into off the relay? i would imagine it would be the one running from the relay to the arming switch...(this is a dumb question but for some reason i'm having trouble visualizing the current flow with all the wires coming out of the relay.)

thanks for any input,

Mike

Last edited by DeepBlueZ; 02-23-2005 at 07:56 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 08:07 PM
10 Second Club

I don't use a relay with mine and it's been just fine. It's been acouple of years since I wired it but I think I wound up running the power throught the momentary switch but, running the ground through it would make more sense. Mine is always hot, sometimes I empty out the line after I park the car or at the end of the day so it works out well.

BTW: Just thinking off the top of my head about the splice. It really depends how you have the set up wired. In most applications it would be easiest to run the power through the momentary switch for the purge. Asuming your buttons are togethor you would just have to splice power off the other side of the master arm switch that should go to terminal #86 on the relay, or to a WOT switch in some cases. Or I supose you could run the ground through the momentary switch and then pull your power in the engine bay from the wire coming from the master arm.

Last edited by GM Muscle; 02-23-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 02-23-2005, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

my arming and heater switches are concealed in the ashtray and there's no room for anything else in there....my plan was to use a covered push-button mounted on a small plate that covers that little storage space in front of the ashtray (under the radio).

if i do that, im going to bypass all the wiring for my switches (because i dont want to take the whole console apart again) and just run...

12V --> switch --> solenoid --> ground
Old 02-23-2005, 09:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

speaking of which, has anyone ever seen a momentary switch with a flip cover on it? where can i get one?
Old 02-23-2005, 10:16 PM
BMN
TECH Apprentice

Not running the relay is asking for trouble. It realy isn't all that hard to wire it in.
Old 02-23-2005, 11:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also agree, relay for safety, unless you want a possible fire. I understand that you could get away (I've done it in past) with direct hot through switch because it's only for a second or two, but why take a chance?
Old 02-24-2005, 07:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

I have never seen anyone who sells a momentary w. flip cover. I had to buy a normal flip cover switch, then I bought a momentary switch from McMaster Carr and put the cover on it.

Originally Posted by DeepBlueZ
speaking of which, has anyone ever seen a momentary switch with a flip cover on it? where can i get one?
Old 02-24-2005, 03:27 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 860 Performance
I have never seen anyone who sells a momentary w. flip cover. I had to buy a normal flip cover switch, then I bought a momentary switch from McMaster Carr and put the cover on it.
hmmm...thanks for the info.