Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

thoughts on this combo

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default thoughts on this combo

well.. i think i finally got the cash together for a rearend..i am going to buy one on the gp from ttp...(if i can ever get ahold of them) first off the basics... my car is a 98 TA..i am going to put a th400 when the rear goes in..(no Tranny brake,,just transgo 1-2 shift kit) i am running a stock bottom end car with cam only,boltons and 150 shot..am presently running a 3.73 gear with 4k stall..my plans are to get a moser 12 bolt with spool,no abs,no tcs.. i dont drive the car on the street a whole lot..i HAVE driven a car with a spool on the street..its not that bad..for that matter i run around on 26x11.50 et streets with skinnies on the front. that is also the combo i will be running at the track.. my main question is the gear ratio..i was thinking of stepping up my gear to a 4.10 to help with launching with the crappy 1st gear of the th400..any thoughts? oh i will be running a pi 3500 stall for the th400..
thanks matt
Old 02-23-2005, 08:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

How high do you spin the motor?? we need to know that info to see how fast you can go with a 26" tall tire..... ill be the first to say it though..... your going to need a 28" tall tire...... fyi i plan on a full spool for my daily driver..... its really not that big of a deal.
Kyle
Old 02-23-2005, 11:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

i spin only about 7k...no more. setup is not that "radical" i just want something that i can depend upon to do sticky tire launches with no worries..i would love 28 inch tires but they wont fit so i guess i just need to stick with the 3.73 range..... just wanting to get some opinions...thanks matt
Old 02-24-2005, 02:27 AM
TECH Fanatic

im not too familiar with the rearends out of the monte carlo's..84-88? maybee body style? what would be required to put one of those rearends in an f-body? pretty sure they are coil sprung cars but im assuming they wont work without extensive modification...a guy had one for sale here locally for a 84 monte carlo..it was a currie 9" with only like 5k on it..just asking
matt