Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

New Launch Combo May Save Your Rear

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2005, 10:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New Launch Combo May Save Your Rear

I meant your cars' rear, BTW. Not sure this will work with the 10 bolts though

There is a thread on here somewhere discussing the use of the Harlan Two Step and if it preserves the drivetrain. I think it does. I'll get to the point now...

Last weekend I did a personal best and got into the 11's on a very mediocre track. Using a Two Step with my M6, Spec 3 and 12 bolt, I think I found a way for us 12 Bolt Posi guys to buy some time without sacrificing a good holeshot.

With Matt Harlan's Two Step, you don't have to go into the 6000-7000 rpm range to get a good launch. Being that you are dumping out lower, but yet at WOT the instant the clutch is dumped, I think the combo is safer than without the Two Step. I wondered about this before doing it,and it worked like a charm. I was holeshotting from 3600 rpm clutch dumps with Mickey Thompson DR's.

I would welcome anyone else with this setup to chime in with your experiences and opinion, as many of you were using this before me. The only other catch for me was to use sticky tires. Nittos didn't work. And although you will suspect that a stickier tire will go against my theory, remember that you are not SHOCKING your drivetrain (drivestrain ) with a huge 6000 rpm jolt.

I just thought I'd share my experience with you guys. Look into the Harlan Two Step.

http://harlan-engineering.com/store/
Old 02-24-2005, 12:50 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got a Harlan 2-step for that exact reason, however after getting it I realized that I needed to be catless for it to work (still have cats) without blowing something up.

What were your 60' times at 3600 launches ? Can you post up the data from the timeslip ?
Old 02-24-2005, 12:59 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRex
I've got a Harlan 2-step for that exact reason, however after getting it I realized that I needed to be catless for it to work (still have cats) without blowing something up.

What were your 60' times at 3600 launches ? Can you post up the data from the timeslip ?
Will do when I get home...

I went 2.0-2.2's with Nittos and no Two Step, to 1.85-1.90 with Two Step and MT DR's. These times are still crap, but it's tough as hell to launch on teflon (Moroso), so 1.8's are considered good without full slicks and with stock suspension.

To give you an idea of a tractionless track, I was spinning bad with the sticky MT's by dumping out at only 3900 rpm. And this is after heating up the tires pretty hot.