Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

my first cam change????

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 11:04 AM
9 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default my first cam change????

hey i am about to do the cam swap tomorrow . any pointers for me . ? will the lifters stay up ???
Old 02-24-2005, 11:09 AM
Launching!

I just did mine two days ago. Check out the step by step instructions on ls1howto.com
I used these and everything went smooth.
Take your time and everything should be fine. You will want to either get the jpr lifter tool or some pen magnets. The thought of a lifter dropping made me sick to my stomach. (It didn't happen, but man was I shaking when I slid the new cam in.
Good luck and enjoy the new cam!!!
Old 02-24-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I used JMX's install instructions and it went fine. I used wooden dowels instead of buying the lifter tools. The only snags I had were almost loosing a keeper down in the head and also getting the pulley back on the crank. I used a propane torch (only cost like $12) to heat the center of the pulley and then it slid back on.
Old 02-24-2005, 12:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002blackZ
I just did mine two days ago. Check out the step by step instructions on ls1howto.com
I used these and everything went smooth.
Take your time and everything should be fine. You will want to either get the jpr lifter tool or some pen magnets. The thought of a lifter dropping made me sick to my stomach. (It didn't happen, but man was I shaking when I slid the new cam in.
Good luck and enjoy the new cam!!!
I'm with him just did mine a couple of weeks ago with the ls1howto instructions and every thing work out great
BTLFEDSS
P.S i made my own lifter tool out of 5/16 rod
Old 02-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Bad Seller Alert

Definately use the jmx writeup. I have done many and no problems so far. Good luck and take your time.
Old 02-24-2005, 01:49 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good luck.
Old 02-24-2005, 03:52 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talking

Originally Posted by datsbad
hey i am about to do the cam swap tomorrow . any pointers for me . ? will the lifters stay up ???
Good luck. I am doing mine next weekend.

Bill
Old 02-24-2005, 04:15 PM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by datsbad
Take your time. Is the best pointer!Its not hard at all but some people get nervious when working on there car.Are you replacing the timing chain/oil pump ? Thats what could cause a problem, getting the pickup tube bolt back in is a motherf----r.
Old 02-24-2005, 07:53 PM
10 Second Club

i did my first cam install on a friends car a couple weeks ago with help from somebody experinced, im doing mine this weekend solo(wish me luck), as stated take your time, use the JMX tool or make your own(i did steel 5/16ths rod is cheap at lowes). also make sure you have all required tools, i didnt and had to leave to get a dampener puller and again for some 5/16th rods. it went smooth other then that.

Stuart
Old 02-27-2005, 02:11 AM
Banned

i dropped 2 lifters, and i used the pen magnet method!!! I was sick for a few weeks and was so upset that i didnt go near the car for over a month. Finally i got the lifters out today. Use the JPR tool or the wooden dowls, pen magnets cost me 50 bux and the lifters still fell..................
Old 02-27-2005, 10:29 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

For the pulley, put it in the oven at about 210 degrees for an hour. It will slide on a lot easier. We just did this and were able to slide the oulley on the first inch or more with very little force. Made the job easy.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:11 AM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Steve Burger
For the pulley, put it in the oven at about 210 degrees for an hour. It will slide on a lot easier. We just did this and were able to slide the oulley on the first inch or more with very little force. Made the job easy.
I will do that next weekend when I do mine. Thanks for the info.

Bill
Old 02-27-2005, 11:35 AM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Steve Burger
i may give this one a try duing my cam swap this week.

Stuart
Old 02-27-2005, 03:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did mine last October (using LS1Howto). I thought the spring change was the most tedious/difficult part. I highly recommend the crane spring tool. This thing was awesome and you get to do 2 springs at a time. It's a little pricey but well worth it if you expect to do more than 1 spring change in your car's life: (I've done 2 already with it)

Old 02-27-2005, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Just make sure you set enough time aside to complete the job. Being your first swap you are going to spend more time on things. The biggest problem I had was the crank pulley bolt. Some reason the dealership torqued that thing to hell when they did warranty work on the car. It took a 500ft/lb imact gun to get it to budge.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:32 PM
TECH Addict

I took over a week to do it following the great take your time advice. I'd work on it until I got sick of it, and then start in again the next day.

I bought the pulley install tool from someone here online and it worked great. I had no problems removing the crank pulley with a 1/2" impact wrench. Also, the Larry Tool is great for doing the springs (also got that from Larry online here). Once you figure-out how to get the first spring on, the rest are a piece-of-cake.

Stay away from the JPR tool, a real piece of crap. I ended up using pen magnets.

Torque the rocker arms to spec (22 ft/lbs I believe). It's tempting to overtighten them, but don't.

With the timing chain, I kept pulling the chain tight to try to get it on, but I realized that it needed to be slackened a little, and it went right on.

It's really a pretty easy job, but challenging if you've never done it before. VERY rewarding when you're done though.

Good luck!!!
Old 02-27-2005, 04:37 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

There is a very easy way to break the crank pully loose. Just put a long-handled breaker bar against the frame or the floor, and crank the motor over with the injector fuse pulled. Dealer shop does it the same way.
Old 02-27-2005, 04:39 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Black Z/28
I did mine last October (using LS1Howto). I thought the spring change was the most tedious/difficult part. I highly recommend the crane spring tool. This thing was awesome and you get to do 2 springs at a time. It's a little pricey but well worth it if you expect to do more than 1 spring change in your car's life: (I've done 2 already with it)

I like this tool! I think I might build my own like this.
Old 02-27-2005, 05:54 PM
TECH Addict

Get yourself a 24mm impact socket even if you remove the pulley the way Cal said. Using an impact wrench isn't the recommended way, but I just wanted to mention that it worked out okay for me, maybe I was just lucky.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Predator
Stay away from the JPR tool, a real piece of crap. I ended up using pen magnets.
This is the first time ive heard the JPR tool being called a piece of crap. May I ask the reason?