Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Fuel pump install

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2005, 08:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuel pump install

OK, dont bitch at me about searching because ive been trying to use the search function and it wont bring up anything. I type in camaro or nitrous and it wont bring anything up. Anyways, i was just wondering if anyone had any pictures of the trap door so i can have at least a rough idea of where to cut the hole. Any dimensions would be great too. thanks
Old 02-25-2005, 11:11 AM
10 Second Club

I would do it right and drop the tank. Certainly much more of a hassle; but safer. I know some swear by the trap door way, but if you see how close the tank really is to the area you are cutting; you would think twice about that method. It's your call. I believe there are some write ups and pictures on LS2.com for that method.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

I agree. It really not that hard to drop the tank if have a friend helping. Start to finish I was able to replace my pump with the racetronix kit in about 4 hours.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:38 AM
TECH Addict

i just dont really want to drop the rear end. so i figured i would do it this way. a friend did it on his car and it literally took less than an hour to do it. he already had the hole cut when i got there. i just want to see some pics so that way i can estimate how and where to cut the hole. thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 11:49 AM
TECH Addict

Anyone??/ I Have Searched For Pics And Cannot Find Any. Any Help Would Be Appreciated. Thanks
Old 03-04-2005, 12:38 PM
On The Tree

http://www.worldisround.com/articles/12533/index.html

This should handle it.

Chris
Old 03-04-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Addict

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You
Old 03-04-2005, 04:52 PM
11 Second Club

those are some very good pics.. think ill have to do mine that way.. so what when u get htat whole cut u jus undo them bolts and its all right inside there? do you have to run ur car empty on gas or something before hand? i mean as long as its like 1/8th of tank or less ur fine right.
Old 03-05-2005, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

The 99 and up is a little different. The fuel pump is in the middle of the gas tank. If you do a search for access panel you will find some pictures of the 99 and up. The fuel lines and everything are different on the 99 because GM switched to a plastic fuel tank to cut down on rust. When I did my fuel pump I dropped the tank. It really isn't that hard. You dont have to drop the rear end. Just get the body of the car jack up to where the rear tires are almost off the ground and remove the catback and there will be enough room to maneuver the tank out. The access panel works but I dont like the idea of cutting a hole in my car.
Old 03-05-2005, 12:28 PM
6 Second Club Moderator

Originally Posted by needals1
i just dont really want to drop the rear end. so i figured i would do it this way. a friend did it on his car and it literally took less than an hour to do it. he already had the hole cut when i got there. i just want to see some pics so that way i can estimate how and where to cut the hole. thanks
You don't have to drop the rear end!. After I drained the tank it took about twenty minutes to get the tank out.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

on a 98 or older you do have to drop the rear.. our fill neck is not flexibe and its a BITCH on the ground.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:38 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by MIGHTYMOUSE
on a 98 or older you do have to drop the rear.. our fill neck is not flexibe and its a BITCH on the ground.
Definitely a big PITA. Never again.
Old 03-05-2005, 05:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

to you jokers preaching about "how close the tank is" Dropping the tank is a bitch no matter how you go about it. If you use a dremel with some fiber cut off wheels(~1 inch wide) you have no worries about cutting anything, just be sure to use enough cut off wheel to get through the metal( the metal is thin maybe 1-2mm thick). I've done this method 3 times now and will never drop a tank again. Or if you are really scared about tight clearances try some sheet metal nibblers, just drill a small hole and "nibble" away. Takes about 15 minutes to cut the hole out with the dremel, another 15-30 to do fuel pump work and you are on your way.

Don't ever weld in a bar or a cage if you are scared about how close the tank is BTW we welded in my cage with the TANK IN THE CAR Guess what....we didn't blow up. Its like anything, research your project, take your time doing it and all will come out right.
Respect to anyone who pulls out the take time and time again, you are truely the hardcore
J