Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

01 z06-need cam? v.springs?

Old 02-26-2005, 03:08 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 01 z06-need cam? v.springs?

car is completely stock right now, what's the "standard" setup for a n/a car that sees 10k miles/year. Do all valvesprings need to have the heads machined(can this be done in the car or rem. heads?);longtubes are in the future as well--who's got the best cam for an z06 street car?
Old 02-28-2005, 08:00 AM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

alright, where do i go to find the info
Old 02-28-2005, 04:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll bite since I have a Z06, think the reason you are not getting any responses is your question has been asked many times before and many different answers opinions can be made had by using the search button.

To answer you questions.

There is no "standard setup" but the 224 duration 563 or 581 lift cam is a pretty mild street cam setup that alot of people use.

Valvespring unless you are going crazy or trick setup then there are plenty of springs fit the stock head, Comp 918's for instance not only fit without maching but can use the stock retainers. For more aggressive cams the Patriot or RPC dual spring setups don't need maching and are good to .650 lift.

IMHO and alot of people would disagree with me, and maybe I'm just telling myself because I'm a cheap bastard. This is what I am doing with my 01 Z06,

First I did a stinger air intake mostly because it looked cool but looking at the stock box I can imagine picking up 8-12rwhp with it.

I did the Borla stinger for sound and looks and because it was a straight trade for my titanium exaust I would not have paid for a cat back.

Next I have yet to put in a MTI stealth II cam, this cam is putting down some decent numbers has the same LSA as your stock 01 Z06 cam at 116 so you probably will barely be able to tell the difference with idle and others probably won't be able to tell.

I'm going to use 918 with the stock retainers and the stock pushrods.

Going to try and get the pup cats removed and the stock manifold setup isn't that bad.

I will then buy longtubes. My rational is that I'm going with a mild cam setup for around $600. Longtubes START at 850 for C5's. Theorectically both will give about 20rwhp so I went with the cheaper of the two for a first mod. I will be jones'n for long tubes and a pulley for that matter but oh well.

This is just my set up and I thought about and seriously considered about 5 different ones. There is no right or "supreme" setup for everyone. You have to find out through advise and trial and error. The good news is I learned on my WS6 is even if you go bigger these cars with tuning drive just fine.

Search this Thread