Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

are air/fuel gauge worthless?

Old 02-27-2005, 02:46 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default are air/fuel gauge worthless?

i was gonna buy a air fuel gauge, then i stumbled on to a thread that said they were useless. that they would be a waste of money, is this true? i was gonna get one because i was planning on running a 150 shot for 2001 ls1 camaro.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:24 AM
10 Second Club

They are pretty useless to fine tune with. However, if you have a major fueling issue the A/F ratio gauge will let you know the O2s are diving and it's time to get out of it before you hurt something. If you don't have to money to invest in a wideband an A/F ratio gauge is worth the $70 or so. I would suggest the Dynotune gauge that shows you the exact O2mv. The Autometer ones are just to vague and hard to judge where the car is at. I have owned both and was much happier with the Dyno Tune one. Dynotune.org
Old 02-27-2005, 11:05 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Dynotune sells some awesome gauges, I have their digital nitrous pressure gauge. I also have an autometer air/fuel gauge. Yes, they are about useless, but I got one just to fill the 3rd spot in my pillar until I can afford a wideband O2 set-up.
Old 07-24-2005, 09:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gregg 00SS
Dynotune sells some awesome gauges, I have their digital nitrous pressure gauge. I also have an autometer air/fuel gauge. Yes, they are about useless, but I got one just to fill the 3rd spot in my pillar until I can afford a wideband O2 set-up.
Here you go Greg - and you can still use the Autometer till you upgrade to the Dynotune Gauge! We sell it already calibrated for you!

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store...?idproduct=151

Dean
Old 07-24-2005, 04:58 PM
TECH Resident

Yeah, I think the narrow-band info on given by the AutoMeter A/F gauges are pretty much useless. I would set it up so your AutoMeter gauge shows wideband info, but not using Dynotune's thingy.

This is how I see it...

Spend $200 on Dynotune's thing, then another $300 for their wideband should you choose to get a wideband controller down the road. (If this is wrong, I'm sorry, but it wasn't explained very well on your site a few weeks ago)

Or, spend one of the following:
$350-$400 combined on PLX's wideband controller (M-300 model) & their AutoMeter gauge converter
$350-$400 on FJO Racing's wideband controller which has two analog outputs so that you can hook one up to your AutoMeter gauge. The only thing with them is you have to upload some settings so that it knows you're using the AutoMeter gauge.

I took the FJO route because it's only one piece and hooks up to my Maximizer II directly. I still use my AutoMeter gauge for fun, but when it comes down to business, I just hook my (friend's) laptop up for live monitoring & logging.

-somebody
Old 07-24-2005, 05:20 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Somebody09
Yeah, I think the narrow-band info on given by the AutoMeter A/F gauges are pretty much useless. I would set it up so your AutoMeter gauge shows wideband info, but not using Dynotune's thingy.

This is how I see it...

Spend $200 on Dynotune's thing, then another $300 for their wideband should you choose to get a wideband controller down the road. (If this is wrong, I'm sorry, but it wasn't explained very well on your site a few weeks ago)

Or, spend one of the following:
$350-$400 combined on PLX's wideband controller (M-300 model) & their AutoMeter gauge converter
$350-$400 on FJO Racing's wideband controller which has two analog outputs so that you can hook one up to your AutoMeter gauge. The only thing with them is you have to upload some settings so that it knows you're using the AutoMeter gauge.

I took the FJO route because it's only one piece and hooks up to my Maximizer II directly. I still use my AutoMeter gauge for fun, but when it comes down to business, I just hook my (friend's) laptop up for live monitoring & logging.

-somebody
Yep you got it wrong -- LOL The Dynotune Wideband (made by Innovate) for $200 --- currently on special to LS1 Tech for $169 is a complete wideband setup - NO need to buy anything else!!! We just offer it pre calibrated to use with your Autometer guage so you dont have to replace the autometer gauge now and no need for a laptoip since it is preconfigured by us! This will make the autometer read the wideband settings from the Innovate wideband. So $169 for what many consider the best wideband on the market - not a bad deal I would say!

Just noticed the FJO with 2 analog outputs for $350 - $400 and the Innovate for $169 where it features the same award-winning patented digital measurement principal found in the LM-1, and includes digital input, digital output, and 2 programmable analog outputs.
Its a no brainer!

Dean
Old 07-24-2005, 05:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the LC-1 yall sell will hook right up to my Autometer A/F gauge and give me a true wideband reading? Then, later down the road when I decide to get a different gauge, really like the XD-1 but VERY spendy, it will integrate flawlessly? I guess basically what I'm asking, am I going to run into other issue down the road getting this thing to work with true wideband O2 gauges, simple because it is preconfigred to work with an autometer gauge?
Old 07-24-2005, 06:11 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Originally Posted by Gregg 00SS
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the LC-1 yall sell will hook right up to my Autometer A/F gauge and give me a true wideband reading? Then, later down the road when I decide to get a different gauge, really like the XD-1 but VERY spendy, it will integrate flawlessly? I guess basically what I'm asking, am I going to run into other issue down the road getting this thing to work with true wideband O2 gauges, simple because it is preconfigred to work with an autometer gauge?
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the LC-1 yall sell will hook right up to my Autometer A/F gauge and give me a true wideband reading? Exactly! Then, later down the road when I decide to get a different gauge, really like the XD-1 but VERY spendy, it will integrate flawlessly? Exactly - you will just need to hook the laptop up and recalibrate one of the outputs - directions come with the LC-1 and it is not bad to do. I guess basically what I'm asking, am I going to run into other issue down the road getting this thing to work with true wideband O2 gauges, simple because it is preconfigred to work with an autometer gauge? No problems at all! This is one of the reasons Innovate has been so successful!

Dean
Old 07-24-2005, 08:03 PM
TECH Resident

Wait, so can you do dual channel too? What about a leanest channel out type thing? 'cause I'm using two sensors, one for after each header. If so, then maybe I'll get yours and sell this other one.
Old 07-24-2005, 08:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Placing my order right now
Old 07-24-2005, 08:51 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Gregg,
Thanks for your business!

Somebodyo9, It will not do what your looking for. It only has one input. Though it has multiple programmable outputs it will only read from one wideband sensor.

Thanks for the interest!

Dean
Old 07-24-2005, 08:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Seeing I paid via paypal, I assume I will be sent a paypal payment once the discount is credited?
Old 07-24-2005, 09:28 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DynotuneN2O
Yep you got it wrong -- LOL The Dynotune Wideband (made by Innovate) for $200 --- currently on special to LS1 Tech for $169 is a complete wideband setup - NO need to buy anything else!!! We just offer it pre calibrated to use with your Autometer guage so you dont have to replace the autometer gauge now and no need for a laptoip since it is preconfigured by us! This will make the autometer read the wideband settings from the Innovate wideband. So $169 for what many consider the best wideband on the market - not a bad deal I would say!
Thtas the setup I run, use the other output to my laptop and It works great
Old 07-24-2005, 09:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Really nice to see this option out there. First I've heard of it too, or I probably would have had one prior to this. Couldn't justify spending $400 or so for a wideband plus gauge right now. And would be stupid to buy a wideband and then have my air/fuel gauge reading my normal sensors. The Autometer gauge really won't be much help in tuning, but atleast I'll know the readings are true as to what my air/fuel is until I get one with a digital readout.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:03 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

http://www.dynotunenitrous.com/store..._animation.gif

Here is what the autometer display will read.

Cheers
Dan
Old 07-25-2005, 01:02 PM
TECH Junkie

The dyno tune digital A/F gauge I had worked absolutely flawless and saved my engine when a fuel noid failed. I did not have the wideband version... Highly recommended!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by DynotuneN2O

Here is what the autometer display will read.

Cheers
Dan
So the gauge will actually show the rough A/F ratio as show in that picture? Does it do that normally?
Old 07-26-2005, 06:04 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

No, normally it uses a 0-1v signal from the narrow band o2 sensor, we take the wideband signal and confiure it in the LC-1 software to output a signal thats close to the 0-1V that autometer gauge needs to use. Its a super complex algorithim with years of refinement(joke, pretty simple) All we are doing is simply offering a pre-programmed LC-1 unit for customers who dont want to be bothered to prgram it on there own or who dont have the time to figure out what they really want to see, we do not charge for this service! As you jotcied its the same price as the basic LC-1.
Yes the annimatin of the gauge you see its pretty good accuracy wise, not as good as a dynotune display
Old 07-26-2005, 11:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Damn...pretty sweet...DYnotune kicks ***!!
Old 07-26-2005, 12:51 PM
Staging Lane

Just ordered - gotta have this!

Search this Thread