Drag Racing Tech
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Neutral Safety Switches on Aftermarket A3/A4 Shifters

Old 02-27-2005, 06:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Neutral Safety Switches on Aftermarket A3/A4 Shifters

I'm in the process of taking out my stock shifter and console on my T/A..I'm going to install a B&M Pro Rachet shifter that comes with a neutral safety and back up light switches..I took the console out of the car tonight and befoe I unhook anything I need to know a couple of things..

Is the factory neutral safety switch located in front of the shifter in a black looking canister??..It has 2 wires plugged into it..The other switch is connected to the shifter next to the passenger seat is this the back up light switch ??

Any help before the shifter gets here will be greatly appreciated..
Thanks
Tim
Old 02-27-2005, 08:26 PM
TECH Regular

Ill assume ur car is an A4. The NSS connected to the shifter on the pass side. It unbolts from the shifter, its slides up and down as you change gears. This connector I believe has 6 wires. 2 are the factory NSS and I believe 2 are for the back up lights and the other 2 are for the computer. Set up your NSS on your new shifter........it has 2 wires on it. On the factory 6 pinconnecter.....locate the green and the purple/white wire. Cut these 2 off the factory connector and tie one to each wire off your NSS on ur new shifter. Not too sure how to get the back up lights to work.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:50 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Slow 346
Ill assume ur car is an A4. The NSS connected to the shifter on the pass side. It unbolts from the shifter, its slides up and down as you change gears. This connector I believe has 6 wires. 2 are the factory NSS and I believe 2 are for the back up lights and the other 2 are for the computer. Set up your NSS on your new shifter........it has 2 wires on it. On the factory 6 pinconnecter.....locate the green and the purple/white wire. Cut these 2 off the factory connector and tie one to each wire off your NSS on ur new shifter. Not too sure how to get the back up lights to work.
Yes its a A4 car right now.And thanks this will get me started..

Does anyone know what the black canister thing in front of the shifter is..It also has a 2 wire connector connected to it..
Old 02-27-2005, 08:53 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

That black canister is to measure the position of the shifter for something.. I can't recall what.. Its used for one of the systems.. might be for TCC, or the BCC and alarm system..

I yanked it out of my car a few months back.
Old 02-27-2005, 10:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That black canister thing is actually to not allow moving the shifter out from Park without the brake pedal being depressed. Apply the brakes and that soleniod will allow the shifter assy to move out of park, after actuating the detent button.

Slow346, same deal as the NSS for the back up lights.

Here is how I did it on our 1998 Z28 with our B&M Quicksilver shifter (it uses the same mechanism as our Pro Ratchet shifter):

If you use the OEM park/neutral safety wires (connect together purple and dark green to neutral/safety switch) and the reverse wires (connect together brown and light green to the back up light), the computer will know the trans is in a drive gear.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:00 PM
LS1TECH Sponsor

ahh yes..

And there is another cable that goes to the key column as well that will not allow you to remove the key unless its in park.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:09 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by Flame Throwing SS
That black canister thing is actually to not allow moving the shifter out from Park without the brake pedal being depressed. Apply the brakes and that soleniod will allow the shifter assy to move out of park, after actuating the detent button.

Slow346, same deal as the NSS for the back up lights.

Here is how I did it on our 1998 Z28 with our B&M Quicksilver shifter (it uses the same mechanism as our Pro Ratchet shifter):

If you use the OEM park/neutral safety wires (connect together purple and dark green to neutral/safety switch) and the reverse wires (connect together brown and light green to the back up light), the computer will know the trans is in a drive gear.
Thanks alot Flame Throwing SS and Magnus that will help me a bunch..
Tim

Search this Thread