Nitrous Oxide Installation | Tuning | Products
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

What exactly does a blow down tube do?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2005, 08:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What exactly does a blow down tube do?

I dont have one..and im curious if i should get one. What is the purpose?
Old 02-27-2005, 08:51 PM
Launching!

if for some reason your blowoff valve pops it vents the gas out of the car instead of in the cabin with you.or at least that is what was explained to me.
Old 02-27-2005, 08:59 PM
10 Second Club

^^ what he said, and you can't run at the track (or pass tec at least) without one. for the 20$ why not be safe...
Old 02-27-2005, 09:04 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is it required for in-trunk installations too, or just if the
bottle is in the passenger compartment? I have a 'vert
and the bottle in the trunk.
Old 02-27-2005, 09:17 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was under the impression that it was required only when the bottle was in the passenger compartment (e.g. Hatchback)
Old 02-28-2005, 06:06 AM
10 Second Club

not sure... i thought it was just required if you have a bottle anywhere in the car, i could be wrong though.
Old 02-28-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 99Ws6TransAm
I dont have one..and im curious if i should get one. What is the purpose?
Safety should have no compromise period. Its not likely 4 your blow off cap to release, but if it does its not a very pleasant scenaro. It is a NHRA requirement, because if you imagine running down the track or "cough cough" hwy and for some reason the bottle got hot enough to release then you would have approx 2000psi of nitrous going off right behind you as your tring 2 drive. I dont care who ya are, you would have the initial scare of the release then you have to contend with the gas, which you take electric windows 4 granted, cause some of the cars dont even have operating windows at all. So you would have to slow the car while contending with gas vapors that would resemble something outta terminator, while holding your breath tring 2 drive. It only takes 2 deep breaths before you pass out, and if you were just creeping down the road at 30mph you could stop in time and address the situation, but come on how many of you guys run anything under 70 Thats why all of our kits come with the ss bd tube, its not an acc in our oppinion.. If you dont have one get one! your protecting your saftey as well as the saftey of others, and your investment.
Old 02-28-2005, 01:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

sounds good..i'll be ordering one up here shortly
Old 02-28-2005, 02:11 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by David@TNT
Safety should have no compromise period. Its not likely 4 your blow off cap to release, but if it does its not a very pleasant scenaro. It is a NHRA requirement, because if you imagine running down the track or "cough cough" hwy and for some reason the bottle got hot enough to release then you would have approx 2000psi of nitrous going off right behind you as your tring 2 drive. I dont care who ya are, you would have the initial scare of the release then you have to contend with the gas, which you take electric windows 4 granted, cause some of the cars dont even have operating windows at all. So you would have to slow the car while contending with gas vapors that would resemble something outta terminator, while holding your breath tring 2 drive. It only takes 2 deep breaths before you pass out, and if you were just creeping down the road at 30mph you could stop in time and address the situation, but come on how many of you guys run anything under 70 Thats why all of our kits come with the ss bd tube, its not an acc in our oppinion.. If you dont have one get one! your protecting your saftey as well as the saftey of others, and your investment.

Very good points! but I'm curious about something. Why would nitrous make you passout? Its just laughing gas with sulfur added in, right?
Old 02-28-2005, 02:16 PM
11 Second Club

Dentist's offices use 2 tanks, medical N2o and o2. Because n2o by itself is an aspyixiant. It takes heat to break down n2o into oxygen and nitrogen. Your body doesn't make enough heat. You'd pass out from suffocation (and probably severe frostbite too...)
Old 02-28-2005, 02:23 PM
11 Second Club

Here's one resource I've found:

http://www.midamericamotorplex.com/f...rag_Strip).pdf

Nitrous Oxide
The use of any agents other than NOS as part of, or mixed with, this pressurized fuel system is strictly
prohibited. All bottels must be securely mounted, stamped with minimum DOT 1800 pound rating, and
identified as nitrous oxide. Nitrous oxide bottle(s) located in the driver compartment must be equipped with a
relief valve and vented outside the compartment. System must be commercially available, and installed as per
manufacture's recommendations. Commercially available thermostatically controlled blanket -type warmer
accepted. Any other external heating of bottle(s) prohibited.
Old 02-28-2005, 02:35 PM
10 Second Club

when inhaled through balloons, gets you high as ****. also kills ALOT of brain cells in the process (i've been to a few concerts ). with NO oxygen present, like a car with the windows up, it would just be bad.

ever see blacksheep? .
Old 02-28-2005, 02:42 PM
11 Second Club

Default What exactly does a blow down tube do?

I was told that if the bottle is inside your car, you should have a blow down tube on. Most kits should already come with a new tube, but if you dont have one you should get one, because luckily the first time i was checked and didnt have mine on, the tech guy let me slide. But the following week it was on. Better to get it on now than to get to the track and have someone tell you, you cant run without it.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by TRYTHSS
I was told that if the bottle is inside your car, you should have a blow down tube on. Most kits should already come with a new tube, but if you dont have one you should get one, because luckily the first time i was checked and didnt have mine on, the tech guy let me slide. But the following week it was on. Better to get it on now than to get to the track and have someone tell you, you cant run without it.
Like does it have to be "outside" the car, or does it just have to be on so its pointing down? I have one but my bottle is where my backseat used to be, and i just have it on there, but it just points down and doesn't go outside the car or anything. THanks, David.
Old 02-28-2005, 03:14 PM
TECH Regular

It must be vented outside of the drivers compartment otherwise it does no good. If I'm not mistaken it is lighter than air so it would go up if released no matter which way the tube is pointed.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 1QwickLT1
Like does it have to be "outside" the car, or does it just have to be on so its pointing down? I have one but my bottle is where my backseat used to be, and i just have it on there, but it just points down and doesn't go outside the car or anything. THanks, David.

Well the blow off cap down is better than up, but its like playing with a pink lion rather than a yellow lion.. I know it sucks putting a hole in your car but your saftey is well worth it! The blow off cap is standard on our bottles so all you need is a #8 line with what ever end you want from your local race shop or for any one that mentions this thread we will give you $10 off our ss tube so you can get it handled.. I know its not much, but its free shipping on something you know you need anyways. Also the syphon tube 4 our bottles is set with blow off cap facing upward so unless you have changed the postion in the bottle then you arnt gettin your moneys worth out of the bottle..
Old 02-28-2005, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by David@TNT
Well the blow off cap down is better than up, but its like playing with a pink lion rather than a yellow lion.. I know it sucks putting a hole in your car but your saftey is well worth it! The blow off cap is standard on our bottles so all you need is a #8 line with what ever end you want from your local race shop or for any one that mentions this thread we will give you $10 off our ss tube so you can get it handled.. I know its not much, but its free shipping on something you know you need anyways. Also the syphon tube 4 our bottles is set with blow off cap facing upward so unless you have changed the postion in the bottle then you arnt gettin your moneys worth out of the bottle..
I think there is a hole in the spare tire area of F-bodys already. Looks like there is no reason not to use one.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:00 AM
TECH Fanatic

It is cheap safety! My buddy has had his bottle released 4-5 times in his truck because he was heating it up using the floorboard heat vents(dumbass) but thats besides the point. I dont want to be scared whent hat n20 is relased or if my old lady is driving. Here is a pic of my blowsown setup-
http://community.webshots.com/photo/...36620009nQrMRZ
Old 03-01-2005, 12:46 PM
11 Second Club

TNT bottle ....i love it.
Old 03-01-2005, 05:20 PM
TECH Junkie

so you can run a braided steel line from the blowoff cap to a hole anywhere in the vehicle, as long as the line exits the passenger compartment?