Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

knock sensor help...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 12:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default knock sensor help...

alright...since I bought the car pretty much it's been throwing a knock sensor code, I replace the knock sensors and the wiring harnesses and it threw the code again....it says "Knock sensor 1 low input" or somethin like that...I've had the intake manifold off so many times for other misc. stuff and everything looks FINE under there

anyone got any ideas?

thanks
Old 02-28-2005, 10:10 PM
11 Second Club

SOMEONE please answer SLCKLS1 question as I have the same problem on Y2K SS, I caanged both KR's this weekend, drove 20 miles and problem is back.
I am going to chk the connection to the PCM WEDNESDAY I think this may be problem as I crached the PCM in November am a dealer replaced it as I was standed 1000 miles from home, some times I get a throtle position errow also
PLEASE someone answer, SLCKLS1,I hope I am not stepping on your toes
Johnny
Old 03-01-2005, 12:57 AM
On The Tree

yes yes...someone please answer my question

this is so aggrivating
Old 03-01-2005, 05:32 AM
TECH Addict

If you're throwing one code, it's a bad knock sensor. There really is nothing else it could be. Two codes and you're looking at either two bad knock sensors, a crushed wire, or a pcm problem such as burnt KS pins.

No responses here because this topic has been covered so many times. Try a search, but the solution, 99% of the time, is one of the three scenarios I mentioned.

Good luck!
Old 03-01-2005, 03:01 PM
On The Tree

thanks...I replaced wires AND sensors not too long ago...grr this sucks

thanks a lot though
Old 03-01-2005, 03:12 PM
TECH Addict

I know you did, I read that in your first post, but if you're getting one KS code, your KS is malfunctioning, again.

Have you washed your engine since replacing the sensors and wire? Did you perform the GM TSB by using silicone around the knock sensors, and removing the foam under the intake? Were you careful routing the wire so it didn't get crushed when you reinstalled the intake?
Old 03-01-2005, 07:17 PM
On The Tree

This is Slckls1's friend that did the original work on the KS's.

I pulled the intake and there was a lot of oil around the knock sensors in their little holes, so we sopped that up and then cleaned the KS's really well with a clean rag, then re-installed being careful not to torque them down to tightly, then I put silicone around the rubber boots and removed the foam (there is a TSB for this? I didnt even know, just used a little common sense here) and then re-installed everything. Also on a side note, I re-routed his pcv system and added inline fuel filters to catch some of the oil thats been flying around everywhere.. Last time we pulled it off, it looked like the PCV oil problem had been 95% fixed.

Any other Ideas besides the bad KS, crushed wire, etc?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 03-02-2005, 02:57 AM
TECH Addict

Question

Mike, it sounds like you did a good job, and did everything right, hmmm.

Have you tried resetting the pcm? Or maybe try clearing the code with a scanner to see if it comes back?
Old 03-02-2005, 03:48 AM
TECH Addict

If clearing the code doesn't fix it, look at the pin on your pcm that corresponds to the knock sensor that's throwing the code. I forget what numbers the KS pins are, but if you don't have a Helm's manual I can look it up for you. Sometimes when a KS shorts out it can burn the pin on the pcm. In fact, I barely touched the KS pins on my pcm and they broke right off.