Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Knock Knock

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 03:21 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Knock Knock

Hey Guys! I Just Finshed Removing The Intake Manifold Of My 2001. So That I Could Replace My Knock Sensors. After Finishing The Job I Turned The Motor On And Heard A Horrible Knocking.The knocking is very fast I thought something was just touching the fan or belt at first then I thought maybe a rod. but My Oil Pressure Is So High That Its Touching The Stering Colum. The Knocking Sound Stoped For A Minute And Then Returned Before I Could Smile. Help Me>??!! AND THE ENGINE LIGHT WENT OFF AFTER THE SENSOR REPLACEMENT TOO.

Last edited by mustgofasster; 02-28-2005 at 03:29 PM. Reason: CHANGED THE TITLE
Old 02-28-2005, 04:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by mustgofasster
Hey Guys! I Just Finshed Removing The Intake Manifold Of My 2001. So That I Could Replace My Knock Sensors. After Finishing The Job I Turned The Motor On And Heard A Horrible Knocking.The knocking is very fast I thought something was just touching the fan or belt at first then I thought maybe a rod. but My Oil Pressure Is So High That Its Touching The Stering Colum. The Knocking Sound Stoped For A Minute And Then Returned Before I Could Smile. Help Me>??!! AND THE ENGINE LIGHT WENT OFF AFTER THE SENSOR REPLACEMENT TOO.

ttt.....
Old 02-28-2005, 04:14 PM
...with cheese.

I just replied to this thread because I wanted to say "Who's there" but this seems like a serious problem. I really don't have a good answer for you. Hopefully someone will be of some assistance. TTT for you!
Old 02-28-2005, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Intake off + horrible knocking sound = something fell into an intake port.
As for the oil pressure, I have no idea what you're talking about. Unless you managed to mess up the sending unit whilst in there and now the gauge is reading false.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:54 PM
TECH Addict

Did you take your valley cover off and drop something down in there? Perhaps you left / dropped a socket down in the valley.

Or as technical said you probably dropped something in your intake port.
Old 02-28-2005, 04:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by technical
Intake off + horrible knocking sound = something fell into an intake port.
As for the oil pressure, I have no idea what you're talking about. Unless you managed to mess up the sending unit whilst in there and now the gauge is reading false.
I've heard that breaking the sending unit will cause it to read a VERY high oil pressure. I busted mine when I did the LS6 intake swap.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:51 PM
Launching!

Can Breaking The Sending Unit Cause The Knocking? I Cant Imagine What Could Have Fell Into The Valley Beacause I Had Everything Counted! But If I Did How Can I Tell. I So Bummed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-28-2005, 10:15 PM
TECH Addict

*IF* something got into the cylinder, you need to get the motor apart now (heads off). It probably won't work its way out and is doing terrible things to the piston/valves/chamber. It is possible that you broke something off the sending unit and a piece a shrapnel made its way into the chamber. It's a long shot, but possible given the circumstances you have described.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:47 AM
Launching!

Ttt Anybodyelse Have Any Advise? What Should I Do First?
Old 03-01-2005, 11:59 AM
TECH Addict

Ttt Anybodyelse Have Any Advise? What Should I Do First?

Take off intake manifold, examine intake ports to see if there is anything visible down there, possibly use magent to check for stuff down there too.

Check oil pressure sending unit to make sure it is still intact, if you need a new one I have a spare one from when I ran a stock PCM I can sell pretty damn cheap, these are about $50 from GM

If you don't find anything in the intake ports, its time to remove your headers and pull your heads, be ready to buy a new set of head bolts and head gaskets, you will need to drain coolant from the motor and a torque wrench to reinstall the heads

If you still can't see a problem, then your probably not telling us everything, rod bearings don't just spin like that from nothing to instant hard knocking when you change something small as a knock sensor, you could run your motor with no oil pressure for a good few seconds without doing any real damage.
Old 03-01-2005, 01:59 PM
Launching!

The cars rpms were shooting up on its own after I would hit the gas pedal. I had to turn the whole car off while I was driving because of this>! The engine light came on. The code was knock sensor, dealer siad $600. I figured the car was acting like that because of the sensor was bad. Right? The sensor cost 49.99 so I called myself being Mr. Money saver and did the job myself. Everything went fine except I know for fact that I damaged the sending unit. Its cracked at the base. (So boostaholic I will need that thanks, how much shiped to 92234).
Old 03-01-2005, 03:46 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely check your valley, and would be cheap insurance to pull the heads to verify nothing dropped into a cylinder. Does it idle rough when it's knocking? I agree, if the sensor is broken, the oil pressure gauge will go nuts.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:35 PM
Launching!

no it idles fine. the knocking even stoped for a while and then returned.
Old 03-01-2005, 04:49 PM
TECH Addict

no it idles fine. the knocking even stoped for a while and then returned.
You really need to rip this apart and see whats in there, I suspect whatever it is, got jammed into your head enough where sometimes it won't make noise now.

Oil press sending unit I can do for 30 shipped.
Old 03-02-2005, 02:51 PM
Launching!

Man, Changing The Knock Sensor Is The Biggest Job I Have Ever Done Myself Before. I Hope Im Not Biting Something I Cant Swallow!!!!!!!!!

Quick Reply: Knock Knock