Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

Inline Vs. Intank...

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2005, 07:58 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Inline Vs. Intank...

Inline would be a better option for me, as I don't have much space to be pulling my tank out.
I did some reseach, but wasn't able to completely answer my questions.

Basicly looking for a rundown on the pro's and con's of each pump.

I will be running a 402ci/42# injectors/FAST fuel lines/LS6 intake. Possibly looking to boost 2 years down the road.

Recommendations, prices, ease of install??

Thanks!
Old 02-28-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Welcome to the board Mr. Luos.

Here's the dirty on what you're needing to know. The stock pump is going to end up being your bottleneck if you put an inline pump in. While the inline pump will help it keep up with the load, you're still going to be limited by the stock pump's flow.

If you run a boosted 402, you're going to end up needing a pretty serious fuel system. You might be able to get away with a Walbro intank with a boost-a-pump type voltage booster, but if you hit much over 600-650rwhp, you're going to need to upgrade your lines as well.

If I were you I'd see if Racetronix has released their 99+ kits yet, and get one of those to use for the next couple years. When it comes time for boost, look into a dual intank setup unless you're going to sump your tank. Price should be under $300 for a single I believe, and install shouldn't be too bad depending on whether or not you cut an access hole.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8
Thanks. Been here over a year, but most of the time has been spent learning, not posting. Great info, helped me a bunch with this project. Still helping actually.

Kinda budget tight right now, and if I boost, it will be a couple years down the road.
Will the inline pump and stock lines work for 500 RWHP?? If so, for now, I think I might go that route, seeing as the Walbro inline is $150 or so.
Upgrade a bunch later, if I ever get around to boosting it.
Basicly just wanna make sure I am not gonna run dry with the 402.
Old 03-01-2005, 11:07 PM
Staging Lane

i bought a nos inlin fuel pump and they told me it was good to 700 hp NA with the stock pump. is this true?
Old 03-03-2005, 12:50 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by SMOKINV8

If I were you I'd see if Racetronix has released their 99+ kits yet, and get one of those to use for the next couple years. When it comes time for boost, look into a dual intank setup unless you're going to sump your tank. Price should be under $300 for a single I believe, and install shouldn't be too bad depending on whether or not you cut an access hole.
They have been out since Aug 04.
Many vendors on this forum carry them plus there is a special running now from Thunder.

Manufacturer / Distributor of Automotive Fuel Systems, Components & Electronics

Please support a Racetronix dealer near you for personalized service.

>WEB SITE<
Old 03-03-2005, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 99 Likes on 80 Posts

Save your money and go with the Racetronix plug and play kit. It's only about $140 more than an inline.

Although it is recommended to drop the tank to install the Racetronix kit, I cut a hole instead and then sealed the hole as is displayed in links.

My tank was absolutely clean with no rust (a 98 metal tank) so I wouldn't have gained anything by dropping the tank and flushing it out.

The instruction provided by Racetronix are excellent. Just remember that electricity and gasoline don't mix very well if there is a spark, so be save depending upon which method you use to install the intank pump.

http://www.taekwondoplus.org/z28/fuelpump.html
http://www.public.asu.edu/~nicolasd/
http://www.geocities.com/formulapower2/fuelpump.html
Old 03-03-2005, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

This place is definitely good for research. I've probably done 3x as many searches as I have posts on here.

Anyway, I think your inline pump SHOULD work okay with your stock pump up to that level, but there's not really any way for somebody to guarantee it. I'm still a pretty firm advocate of throwing a pump in the tank for now and forgetting about your fuel system for a while. Think about it this way. If you put an intank pump in there now, you may not need to drop your tank again, ever. There's a sponsor or two that I know of that have taken their cars with Racetronix kits up to 600+rwhp without any problems, and this was with forced induction (fuel hogs). Also, you won't have to deal with the added noise of the external pump. So with all that said, I still think you should cinch up your belt another notch and do it right the first time. Do it once and do it right.

Stroke 68 - IMO, no.