Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

How to tell if I bent an axle tube?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2005, 09:24 AM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default How to tell if I bent an axle tube?

I had a vibration coming from the rear end and found that one wheel was slightly bent (very minor) so I replaced it. Since I already had 2 bent wheels up front I went ahead and bought a brand new set of wheels and 2 brand new back tires. Well , I still have a vibration in the rear end even with the new wheels and tires. My drive shaft looks good, no dings or dents, the ouput seal and pinion seals are dry also. The car has 50700k miles on it if that would mean anything. My personal diagnosis is that the left axle tube may be bent. My reasoning is based upon the fact that when the car is on a lift and the wheels are spinning its the left side thats moving around all crazy, the right side looks fine. Also the last time I went to the track I had the stock gears and was launching around 3800, the car was dead hooking causing the engine to bog. I dont know, I was hoping one of you veterans who's been here & done this could tell me how to find out what my problem is or if this is symptoms of a bent axle tube or not. Thanks in advance.

Hummer
Old 03-01-2005, 12:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the wheel is moving all crazy it sounds like you bent the axle, not the tube. A bent tube would affect wheel alignment, which can be checked on an alignment machine. To check the axle flange/hub itself I would recommend using a dial indicator with known good wheel mounted up. Maybe check the right side and left side with the same wheel mounted, see if there is any difference between the rim runouts. You could also do it on the axle flange/hub itself, but the diameter of the wheel will magnify and angular deviations making it easier for you to find.

Might also be a bent wheel however, so check that as well.
Old 03-01-2005, 12:59 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by TRex
If the wheel is moving all crazy it sounds like you bent the axle, not the tube. A bent tube would affect wheel alignment, which can be checked on an alignment machine. To check the axle flange/hub itself I would recommend using a dial indicator with known good wheel mounted up. Maybe check the right side and left side with the same wheel mounted, see if there is any difference between the rim runouts. You could also do it on the axle flange/hub itself, but the diameter of the wheel will magnify and angular deviations making it easier for you to find.

Might also be a bent wheel however, so check that as well.
Thanks, the left wheel is further forward than the right. I noticed this when I put my new wheels on the car and it always looked kind of funny. Sound about right?
Old 03-01-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the centerline of the rear wheels compared to the front wheels, they should be the same distance. If they are not, then you need to start checking things like the relationship of control arm mounts to frame mountings, torque arm, etc.

Good luck !
Old 03-01-2005, 02:38 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by WS6HUMMER
The car has 50700k miles on it if that would mean anything.

50,700,000 miles? You should probably replace the whole car after fifty million miles.

You could try checking the axle tubes with a long straight edge. You might want to pull the axles and check those, its not terribly difficult to do.
Old 03-01-2005, 03:26 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by GuitsBoy
50,700,000 miles? You should probably replace the whole car after fifty million miles.

You could try checking the axle tubes with a long straight edge. You might want to pull the axles and check those, its not terribly difficult to do.
You know what I meant. Thanks for the suggestion.

Quick Reply: How to tell if I bent an axle tube?