Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

valve spring installed height?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 12:26 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default valve spring installed height?

I'm installing patriot gold springs, titanium retainers and super 7 keepers on my LS1 heads to work with a tr230 .563/.574 cam. I called patriot and was told there are no specs on installed height or pressures on their springs. So I am shooting for the factory specified 1.800" installed height which is giving me 136lbs on the seat and about 365lbs open. What I am finding as I measure each valve is that the installed height can range from 1.800" to 1.830". At 1.830" the spring has 120lbs. I tried swapping seats and retainers on the 1.830" measured valves and found no change. What I did find is that some keepers will net a 1.800" height and some will net a 1.820" to 1.830" height while all installed on the same valve, almost as if there is a variation between keepers that is clearly changing installed height by as much as .030". So my question is do I shim to correct the few valves back to 1.800" or am I making myself crazy over .030"? Is it OK for valve spring installed pressure to vary by as much as 10lbs?
Old 03-02-2005, 12:40 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would setup every one @ 1.800.That spring will give 135lbs on the seat.Are you using the seat bases that came with the kit?There should be no differences with the valve locks.Are you checking them with the same retainer?Something is wrong,there should not be a .03 difference from one valve to the other.Is your heads completely stock?The valvejob would have to be way off to have a .03 installed height difference.Check from the tip of the valve to the aluminum spring pad.This should check 2.0 inches.If not,then the valvejob is the problem.Do you have a valve height micrometer?I would return the spring kit if they told me there was no specs on the installed height or pressures.Then buy one from another company that would answer my questions.
Old 03-02-2005, 08:06 AM
FormerVendor

If you call here you will get the answers to your questions. The spring kit itself should have came with a spec sheet. We will be glad to email or fax you a copy. We are not sure who you talked to, but we can assure you we know the specs on our products. If you need any further assistance, please give us a call, pm or email. We are not like some companies that have to be begged by their customers to answer the phone, return email, or return a pm.

Last edited by GUNNAR@PATRIOT; 03-02-2005 at 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 03-02-2005, 03:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I was just gonna call you Gunnar and ask for install specs on PP duals. (I got my springs ordered from FFHP) But it's good to know that the kit comes with spec sheet. We'll see if I get it.
It's good to know that you can always fax it if it gets lost.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
FormerVendor

Originally Posted by AdamSS
I was just gonna call you Gunnar and ask for install specs on PP duals. (I got my springs ordered from FFHP) But it's good to know that the kit comes with spec sheet. We'll see if I get it.
It's good to know that you can always fax it if it gets lost.
If you don't, let me know and we will get you a spec sheet.