Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Catchcan PCV system vs valve cover breathers.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 10:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Catchcan PCV system vs valve cover breathers.

I've been having oil consumtion through the PCV, With my engine the PCV oil mist get's right pass my catchcan but leaves almost no oil in the catchcan but totally leaves an oily film all over my intake and the back of my throttle body. also the oil has been causing KR at WOT. Recently I've been running three breathers from the crankcase and valve covers to the open air. No more oil in the intake or all over my intake runners. Does anyone know how to seperate the oil mist from the crankcase air? My AMW catch can will stop oil but not oil mist. Should I run a catchcan with an oil/air seperator together maybe? I would rather run a closed system but I dont want that oil all over my intake and heads anymore. And as far as running crankcase breathers? I hear running breathers is bad for your rings.
So the main Questions are:
(1) Is there any long term Ill effects on my engine or piston rings of running breathers?
(2) Will an oil/air seperator stop oil mist?
(3) and if an oil/air seperator will work, where can I find aircraft oil/air seperator?
(4) Has anyone had good result's with a cadillac air pump?
I've been battling this for a while, I wish I can find somthing that works.
Thanx in advance.

Last edited by Oatmeal; 03-03-2005 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-02-2005, 10:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

And yes I did use the search.
Old 03-03-2005, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Wow! No one knows anything about this?
Old 03-03-2005, 10:58 AM
TECH Addict

Get a small piece of porous foam or cloth and make a "filter" element for the catch can. This way the oil won't be sucked right through the can an into the intake. You'll need to make something like a baffle to keep the cloth/foam from getting pulled into the outlet port and blocking it. Wire mesh might be useful.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:31 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by technical
Get a small piece of porous foam or cloth and make a "filter" element for the catch can. This way the oil won't be sucked right through the can an into the intake. You'll need to make something like a baffle to keep the cloth/foam from getting pulled into the outlet port and blocking it. Wire mesh might be useful.
Thanx for the reply, I have steel mesh in my catchcan, I't stops the oil, but not the oil mist, man I've tried all kinds of filters and fuel filters inline and the mist just keeps going through and coat's everything inside my intake with oil. The only thing that stops it Is getting rid of the PCV system all together(This is temporary for now) I could be wrong but I hear that's bad on rings in the long run.
Old 03-03-2005, 11:36 AM
Restricted User

Do you have the LS6 valley cover??? I do and no oily intake...
Old 03-03-2005, 11:37 AM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I had that problem... AMW cat fixed it. How short did you cut the hose going from the PCV to the can? Maybe try rerouting it and giving the air/oil mist a chance to cool down.. maybe the can will work better that way. just a thought....
Old 03-03-2005, 11:51 AM
TECH Addict

If oil mist is still getting in through it makes me wonder if the other side of the system is plugged or capped. The hose that runs to the TB...is it present and clear from obstructions?
Old 03-03-2005, 04:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2001 Pewter WS6
Do you have the LS6 valley cover??? I do and no oily intake...
I forgot to say I do have the LS6 Valley cover.
Old 03-03-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JL ws-6
I had that problem... AMW cat fixed it. How short did you cut the hose going from the PCV to the can? Maybe try rerouting it and giving the air/oil mist a chance to cool down.. maybe the can will work better that way. just a thought....
That was what I was thinking, I tried runing 3/8 aluminum fuel hose from the LS6 valley cover to the catch can then to the intake. every thing was coupled together with short peices of 3/8 rubber fuel hose, also the catch can was mounted behind the passengers side head light right in the path of air flow to help cool the crankcase air and catchcan. I used the aluminum hose thinking it would cool and condence the crankcase air. The only thing I collect in the catch can is water now, but the intake keeps on .
Old 03-03-2005, 04:59 PM
Race your car!

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

I mounted mine on the passenger's side head in the front near the belt tensioner. The hose I have on mine is rather long, as it comes off the pcv, down to where the A/C hose is and is zip tied to the a/c hose and around to the cover on the catch can. The hose leaving the can is short right to the intake. I was doing the coolant bypass and while I had the lid and bellow off to route the line that's when I noticed the oil in the bottom of the TB. I looked in the intake, and it looked like a pond. I sopped it all out with rags on a ruler, and then sprayed some carb clean in there and wiped that out... and cleaned the TB off too when installing the catch can. I looked inside the TB with a bright flashlight.. and there's no oil residue at all now... and the can had a buttload of oil in it after about 800 miles... so I think that it's working. I'd lost the alum lines.. they heat up probably more than the hose that the can came with, and try routing about 2 feet of hose ( I figure that's about what I have ) and see what that gets you. Hopefully will solve your problem.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

nobody has answered the question about the breather yet?
i am curious!
Old 03-03-2005, 05:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by technical
If oil mist is still getting in through it makes me wonder if the other side of the system is plugged or capped. The hose that runs to the TB...is it present and clear from obstructions?
I've checked that by changing where the air comes in from by routing the in coming fresh air vent from the throttle body into (instead of drawing out from) the old PCV valve cover vents into the crank case and the back out of the LS6 valley cover to my catch can and then to the intake. I dont know what else to try . my other LS1 never did this.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

The odd thing is my old car used to collect oil in the catchcan and leave the intake pretty much clean but this car leaves hardy anything in the catch can but leaves my intake . What are the long term effects of running valve cover breathers instead of the stock PCV? Anything?

Last edited by Oatmeal; 03-03-2005 at 07:52 PM.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:28 PM
11 Second Club

I just swapped out my intake for an LS6 & it also was very oily. I've been running a catch can but the same oily mist was getting through. So I installed a fuel filter between the catch can & intake, problem seems to be fixed. You just need to replace it once in awhile. I use the plastic ford type that has the element underneath( I have also seen people use the VW type). Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:52 PM
pdd
TECH Veteran

i have the catch can also. i still have **** loads of oil in the intake still too. so ill be keeping an eye on this post also
Old 03-03-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have the valve cover breather and the AMW catchcan. I get a lot of oil in the can . My intake has some oil in it, but nothing like it use to. That catchcan was a great investment.
Paul
Old 03-03-2005, 08:29 PM
Launching!

I am planning on using this air compressor catch can, it is used to remove moisture form the air, seems like a good solution for your problem
Old 03-03-2005, 08:57 PM
11 Second Club

i myself got tired of covering new parts with oil from the pcv...did the catchcan thing and that helped...but i stopped it by running breathers on my new motor....no problems so far ...though it will make any weak spots in your gaskets or seals show up...it does make you change your oil more often...
i use full synthetic and change it every 2500 to 3k miles...
just my .2 cents....but my car is not a dd either..

98ss a4 4000tci 373 heads etc etc....
Old 03-04-2005, 11:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Anymore input or veiws on this?

Quick Reply: Catchcan PCV system vs valve cover breathers.