Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications

Silver or white gauge overlays

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2005, 11:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Silver or white gauge overlays

I am looking at getting some Macewen Motorsports Gauges with the T/A bezel for my Camaro, but I am kinda stuck on what color to get. What do you think would look better in a red car with ebony interior (white or silver)? Also, how well does the stock lighting shine through at night on these? And lastly, I would also like to get a small Camaro logo to put on the gauge in the space to the left of the RPM on the gauge, does anyone know where I could get this as well? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2005, 12:20 PM
TECH Regular

I think the silver would look good on the red exterior/ebony interiorcombonation. Do you have any aftermarket gauges too? If you do get some, get silver autometers. Those would look good together. If not, I think it would still look great just alone. I have been told the light comes through real good....

As for the emblem....I am not sure of the camaro emblem...That would be cool....how about a small bowtie decal on the new inlays? Or maybe find the old style "camaro" decal and place it on there? I would do a google search for camaro decals or maybe check with comapnies such as year one, npd, etc.... Sometimes they carry oddball decals in the back of their catalogs.

I will be putting those same inlays on my NBM Z28 as well...

Good luck and let us know how it comes out with some pics!
Mike
Old 03-03-2005, 12:21 PM
TECH Addict

Wheres a place that sales gauge overlays??
Old 03-03-2005, 12:29 PM
TECH Apprentice

I currently have the white Macewen overlays w/ decals from Brent Franker. If I had to do things over, which I will be doing shortly, I would and will go with the silver overlays. I suggest silver w/ your red car... but it is a tough little decision as they would both look great!

The lighting is pretty dim if you don't switch the bulbs. I don't drive my car daily but if I did I would definitely wish they were brighter. If you want to do things right the first time I suggest swapping out the bulbs at the same time.

I have pics on my cardomain site. Check the sig
Old 03-03-2005, 01:02 PM
On The Tree

I say go with white, I bought some reverse glow ones off ebay and they look awesome, especially at night they light up on their own, so no worries about bightness. Sometimes it's almost too bright but there is a dial for that. They're not too hard to wire up either.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

i say go silver, it will look great with red/ebony. i think a Z28 decal would look good beside the tach. again i would go with brent franker for that decal, good prices, easy to deal with.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

I have whites on my red Z but mine are from NR Auto. These aren't overylays. These require that you remove the needles and the old gauge face and then you press on the replacement gauge face. The light dispersion is quite good and the numbers light up bluish-greenish as opposed to the factory white.
Old 03-03-2005, 01:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
Wheres a place that sales gauge overlays??
You can find some on eBay for the gauge cluster in you dash and you can get the HVAC, headlight/dimmer switch plate, and shifter plate (A4) in any color you want at www.alloverlays.com. I ordered some a week ago. When I get them in, I'll post a pic.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:04 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by OneMeanZ
Wheres a place that sales guage overlays??
here's another one for guage overlays
www.macewenmotorsports.com
Old 03-04-2005, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

I say go silver, I love my silver ones from Macewen with TA bezel. Here's some pics, enjoy!

Old 03-04-2005, 01:06 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I see several people are suggesting Macewen gauge overlays. I thought i would just share my experience with them. i bought a Trans Am guage bezel from them new off ebay for $20. I payed them that night and after a few weeks of it not arriving i decided to give them a call. I called all week long and left several messages. Finally the next week i get a call from Ryan saying there was a screw up and my bezel would be shipped out asap. It showed up promptly and he even refunded me the cost of shipping. About a week later Valentines day came around and my GF had ordered me a set of Gauge over lays and a bezel. She ordered them at the first of Feb. but they hadn't shown up yet on the monday the 14th. I was cool with it figuring they would show up at the some time that week. They never arrived. I finally called up them up at the end of the week, Ryan says that the gauges are on back order and he would have them thursday and ship them out asap. I would have them in my hands on saturday the 19th i believe. WTF i thought he made them himself. Saturday comes no package. I call all next week and Ryan never answers. I finally get a hold of him on the next saturday the 26th and ask where the gauges are. He said there was a flag from when i canceled the extra bezel that my GF had ordered. He said that he would ship them out ASAP and that i would have them by Tues the 1st of march. I call Tuesday night and Ryan says UPS forgot to pick them up. Sure..... they did. He says he will over night them and i will have them at on Wednesday the 2nd of March. This time he came through. It took over 1 month exactly to get the gauges from the time they were ordered and it was nothing but excuses. While all this was going on and i couldn't ever get a hold of Ryan i did a search on this forum about him. There was a 2 page post of people complaining about his service. Do a search under Macewen motorsports. I don't believe he scams anyone just has terrible service.
Old 03-04-2005, 06:38 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Heres my silver overlays that I did last night
Old 03-04-2005, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Do you guys know which bulbs i can us to make my gauges brighter for
a t/a. I bought some overlays from dyno pro, they were really easy to install
and look awesome, plus they come with a decal that you can choose, only took a week to get them too.
Old 03-04-2005, 04:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would say I am going to go with silver they look pretty sweet, it is not a very big choice, as they are only gauges, but its a tough one. nharrison, where did you get the SS and bowtie decals for your gauges, that is pretty much exactly what I am looking for.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NIGHTMAREWS.6
Do you guys know which bulbs i can us to make my gauges brighter for
a t/a. I bought some overlays from dyno pro, they were really easy to install
and look awesome, plus they come with a decal that you can choose, only took a week to get them too.
I bought some red leds from superbrightleds.com because i hated thed orange red my TA dash had. Once i got the red LEDS the dash lit up a nice blood red.
Old 03-04-2005, 08:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by mikes98z
I think the silver would look good on the red exterior/ebony interiorcombonation. Do you have any aftermarket gauges too? If you do get some, get silver autometers.
Ultra-Lites....I'm kind partial to those too..
Attached Thumbnails Silver or white gauge overlays-gauge-pod.jpg  
Old 03-04-2005, 08:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I love my white faced gauges, I think they made worlds of difference in the interior.

Before:

After:

Old 03-05-2005, 10:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got NR's. Speed Inc. sells them and Summit. Check them out, they don't have a trim ring and there both white or silver and black. I think they are alittle better quality product.
Old 03-05-2005, 02:22 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You have to remove the needles for the NR gauges though, right?
Old 03-05-2005, 06:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 1FASTZ28
I would say I am going to go with silver they look pretty sweet, it is not a very big choice, as they are only gauges, but its a tough one. nharrison, where did you get the SS and bowtie decals for your gauges, that is pretty much exactly what I am looking for.
Got the decals from Brent here's the link www.bfranker.badz28.com/vinyl/vinyl.htm

Quick Reply: Silver or white gauge overlays