12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

small light weight tanks , used usually in carb
Old 03-03-2005, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by prostock_bigblock
small light weight tanks , used usually in carb
Not really. A "sump" is a tub like pan that is welded to the bottom of your metal gas tank. It has a bung coming off to feed a external fuel pump. For our cars, lots of people, including myself" buy the metal tanks out of the 94-97 F-cars, weld on the sump, and run your external fuel system. Some people have used bulk head fittings on the bottom of the plastic tanks and had good luck. Here is the metal version: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...88&prmenbr=361
Old 03-04-2005, 07:19 AM
TECH Regular

Whats the point of having a sump? Just to feed a external fuel pump? Do you need to have a sump if you want a external fuel pump?

Thanks

P.S. sorry to jack your thread...was curious also
Old 03-04-2005, 10:08 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

to keep the fuel from sloshing around for more consistant fuel pick up
Old 03-04-2005, 05:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BlackCamaroSS02
Whats the point of having a sump? Just to feed a external fuel pump? Do you need to have a sump if you want a external fuel pump?

Thanks

P.S. sorry to jack your thread...was curious also
A sump does help in the fuel sloshing situation, but you have to have some type of way to feed an external pump. Some people drill in bulk head fittings and others weld on sumps. The only real point is to feed the external pump.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:01 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info
Old 03-06-2005, 07:42 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Beast96Z
Not really. A "sump" is a tub like pan that is welded to the bottom of your metal gas tank. It has a bung coming off to feed a external fuel pump. For our cars, lots of people, including myself" buy the metal tanks out of the 94-97 F-cars, weld on the sump, and run your external fuel system. Some people have used bulk head fittings on the bottom of the plastic tanks and had good luck. Here is the metal version: http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerc...88&prmenbr=361
How much would a tank like that run out of an 94-97 F car? i am looking to run an external pump on my car this year and have the plastic tank!,,, and if you have any more info on converting a plastic tank with the bulk head fittings please let me know,,,, and which would be better im guessing the metal tank, but whats your take?
Old 03-07-2005, 04:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by wideopenTA
How much would a tank like that run out of an 94-97 F car? i am looking to run an external pump on my car this year and have the plastic tank!,,, and if you have any more info on converting a plastic tank with the bulk head fittings please let me know,,,, and which would be better im guessing the metal tank, but whats your take?
The outcome would be the same for both tanks, but the metal tank is a bit more "solid" since it is all welded and not just a tightened up fitting. I bought my tank from a board memeber here already sumped for $150 shipped. The wrecking yard should have a few of them, but I'm sure they might charge more, plus you have to find someone to weld on the sump. The bulkhead would cost no more than the fitting itself, but you would have to pull the tank to install it. It would be a very cheap/easy way of going about it and the out come would be the same. I had already purchased the metal tank before I found out about people using the bulkheads succesfully. If you have access to a metal tank, I'd use it, but if it was going to be a hassel trying to get one, I'd deffinatlly use the bulkheads.
Old 03-07-2005, 07:17 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its not just 97 or older tanks......

I used my 98 METAL fuel tank...... i bought the Competition Engineering Fuel Tank Sump for $62 and paid someone local to weld the sump on after baffles were cut under it for about $75. That was the hard one.......
Heres some pics of it out of the car.

Kyle
Old 03-08-2005, 11:15 PM
Teching In

Thanks for all of your help guys!,, my motor is out so i might as well just pull the tank too to do the bulk head fittings!, does anyone have any pictures of the bulk head fittings on a tank?
Old 03-31-2005, 11:59 AM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Where would you run the return line to? Factory position for existing fuel pump? What was the latest year they ran metal tanks? 98? 99? What baffels do you speak of Kyle? Also, any concerns about fuel fumes igniting while cutting/welding?
Old 03-31-2005, 01:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sb427f-car
Where would you run the return line to? Factory position for existing fuel pump? What was the latest year they ran metal tanks? 98? 99? What baffels do you speak of Kyle? Also, any concerns about fuel fumes igniting while cutting/welding?

I used my stock feed as my return and let the fuel fall back into the tank. I set my FP reg. on the old stock feed now return with a tube, nut, sleeve.
I believe 98 was the latest yr for a metal tank.
The sump kit has you cut 3 holes(baffles) and then weld the sump on under that.... i didnt take any pics of that sorry.
I beleve you saw my other thread after this but the guy filled the tank with argon after i let it sit out side full of water for a few days.. then he welded it.
Kyle
Old 03-31-2005, 02:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by NA$TY-TA
I used my stock feed as my return and let the fuel fall back into the tank. I set my FP reg. on the old stock feed now return with a tube, nut, sleeve.
I believe 98 was the latest yr for a metal tank.
The sump kit has you cut 3 holes(baffles) and then weld the sump on under that.... i didnt take any pics of that sorry.
I beleve you saw my other thread after this but the guy filled the tank with argon after i let it sit out side full of water for a few days.. then he welded it.
Kyle
Mine had my cut 5 holes...They were 2 1/2" big each hole.

Mike
Old 03-31-2005, 02:23 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

Kyle how much total do you have into your tank, labor and cost of the sump part?
Old 03-31-2005, 02:25 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

so basically, you only cut a few holes into the tank to let it drain into the sump. Gotcha now. I thought you had a hole the size of the sump part. Honestly...I think going the sump way provides for so much more access to more fuel when doing a multi stage project and you finally need it.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:27 PM
LS1Tech Co-Founder

Received 1,099 Likes on 721 Posts

I have a drag gas tank from Speed Inc, I think they retail in the $375 range.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:27 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
Kyle how much total do you have into your tank, labor and cost of the sump part?

Yeah that too? Does any one of the suppliers sell them? I think someone said they do. I might be a knuckle head and want to do all of it myself or with the help of friends but sometimes it's easier, cheaper and better to source stuff by the time you factor in time.
Old 03-31-2005, 02:29 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Originally Posted by Pro Stock John
I have a drag gas tank from Speed Inc, I think they retail in the $375 range.

John...does that use an intank deal? Is it a fuel cell or is still a tank? How much fuel does it hold?

Could you theoretically "sump" a plastic tank?? if so, how would you go about doing it?
Old 03-31-2005, 09:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Here ya go PSJ.
Its a Competition Engineering sump kit and was $61.88 and i ordered other stuff at the same time so the shipping wasnt much.

The labor was $75 and that was for the welding and paint to finish it up.
I got the idea from Harlan and asked him what he used and went for it.
So i have about $140 in it.

Kyle