Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

af ratio

Old 03-06-2005, 02:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default af ratio

I have a 02 RA TA m6 with the mods in the sig. What is the ideal air fuel ratio. I heard some different numbers.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:03 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

The ideal AFR for your combo, is the AFR that gives you the most power with your combo. This is done via wideband tuning.
Also keep in mind that dyno tuning doesn't necessarily reflect street behavior, I was able to find that out since I have a wideband Commander unit on my car and it acted and reflected slightly different readings on the street. All of which you can adjust with HPT or LS1 edit at different rpms.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:22 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi PREDATOR-Z
I asked a question sometime ago about the difference in # between a wideband tuning on the dyno and a wideband tuning in real condition, it was there :

https://ls1tech.com/forums/pcm-diagnostics-tuning/282386-tune-afr-better-dyno-road.html

May be you have a ratio ( percentage, numbers ..)for the difference you measured ?

My afr on the dyno is actually this :

Last edited by miami993c297; 03-06-2005 at 06:27 AM.
Old 03-06-2005, 06:39 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

There is no concrete % difference. you can even tell that by your graph as it is not a straight linear form.
Temperature, atmospheric pressure, air quality etc... all affect your street tune.
That is where I'm a firm believer that learning how to and tuning your own car has a great potential in keeping your setup in optimum mode.
We can live with an decent average tune but for occasions such as challenges and races, it is preferable to do live monitoring and adjustments, especialy when we push the limits (I'm an avid big dry nitrous user so fine tuning is critical).
Live wideband data is accurate up to 100th deviation so it is accurate enough to see if you are lean or rich at certain rpms. Personally it is over 3K rpm that I worry going lean. In addition to flashing my pc, I also use MAFT that is a quick way to adjust my AFR (not really accurate but quick) above or during certain rpms.
Let us say i'm racing this afternoon, on the way there, I will do 1 NA run and monitor and if i judge I am on the edge of lean, i adjust at the track by 1 or 2% as deemed necessary.

Search this Thread