Street Racing & Kill Stories Basic Technical Questions & Advice

Got my butt kicked...

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 10:19 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Got my butt kicked...

I went up against that pullied vert again with different results. My 555RII's went completely away and I couldn't hook at all, he could. It didn't help that I missed 2nd and 4th in the run as well so I lost by four. So, to be fair, we lined up again. I launched and feathered through 1st with him getting a car. We stayed even in 2nd and then I started pulling in 3rd, only to hang 4th for a sec and lost by two cars. My clutch is engaging 1/2 inch off the floor now so it's time for a firewall quadrant. My shifter is screwed up and I can't get it in 5th from a downshift at all and have to jam it in on the up shift. Time for a shifter. Oh, I ordered my MT ET Street Radials the next day. We will go again.
Old 03-07-2005, 03:17 PM
RIP April 14, 2008

Location: the land where cars repeatedly hit my bumper when I'm in the store...

good job nonetheless! Once you get those clutch issues resolved, you'll be sittin pretty tho, so dont sweat it. more races to come, what with the weather getting warm...

brad
Old 03-07-2005, 03:35 PM
Teching In

My clutch does the same thing after I launch it. I will shift second and the clutch feels like it engages about a half inch or less off the floor and continues that until I let my car sit for a min. Then it will go back to normal I was thinking it was time for a new clutch.But is there a different reason it does that. Oh well I am getting closer to my 12 bolt and I got 2k now so I might as well save up for a better clutch anyways .
Old 03-08-2005, 09:54 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by 02BlueFormula
My clutch does the same thing after I launch it. I will shift second and the clutch feels like it engages about a half inch or less off the floor and continues that until I let my car sit for a min. Then it will go back to normal I was thinking it was time for a new clutch.But is there a different reason it does that. Oh well I am getting closer to my 12 bolt and I got 2k now so I might as well save up for a better clutch anyways .

Yours is hydraulic right? Could be an issue with yuour slave cylinder. Mine is cable and it requires an aftermarket part to cure it. I know that before I got the new tranny I could shift so freakin fast it sounded and felt like an automatic. Now it just plain sucks.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Yep once you get the clutch fixed you should be fine. When you get the M T's you should really be straight.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Regular

I sure hope so. After that, it's time for the ported blower, TB and plenum to go on.
Old 03-08-2005, 04:17 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by CharlieCobra03
I went up against that pullied vert again with different results. My 555RII's went completely away and I couldn't hook at all, he could. It didn't help that I missed 2nd and 4th in the run as well so I lost by four. So, to be fair, we lined up again. I launched and feathered through 1st with him getting a car. We stayed even in 2nd and then I started pulling in 3rd, only to hang 4th for a sec and lost by two cars. My clutch is engaging 1/2 inch off the floor now so it's time for a firewall quadrant. My shifter is screwed up and I can't get it in 5th from a downshift at all and have to jam it in on the up shift. Time for a shifter. Oh, I ordered my MT ET Street Radials the next day. We will go again.
Well, you put up a valiant fight. I ran an 03 Cobra at the track a couple of weeks ago (SCSVT on SVTperformance.com) similarly modded to you (453 RWHP). He was running on the same tires and having a damn hard time hooking as well (not that I was much better). He still beat me by 3 & 6 tenths at the end of the 1/4 (at 11 MPH faster ).
Old 03-08-2005, 05:45 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My clutch is engaging 1/2 inch off the floor now so it's time for a firewall quadrant.
You know that you can "reset" it by placing your left foot under the clutch pedal, then pull it back. It's a temporary "fix". Gotta go with a UPR clutch quadrant/firewall adjuster.

Sorry to hear about the deaths. No big deal though. You win some, you lose some.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:56 PM
TECH Regular

nice death
Old 03-09-2005, 12:05 PM
TECH Regular

I've tried the reset but that doesn't move it off the floor. I've got plenty of clutch left, it just engages way too early. I ordered the UPR piece and am putting that on to cure it.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:10 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I ordered the UPR piece and am putting that on to cure it.
Make sure to pick up some washers too. You'll need them to eliminate the play in the clutch quadrant. I'm sure you know that though.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:55 AM
TECH Regular

Actually, I didn't but will get some as suggested.