Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help with plugs

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 06:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default help with plugs

I got new plugs this last weekend for my 2000 ss camaro, and all i could get was the driver side 4 on. Does anyone know an easy way to get the other for on, because i cant do to clearence issues. thanx
Old 03-07-2005, 06:05 PM
Banned

You will have to pull the egr and air lines on the passenger side as well as probably pulling the dipstick and maybe unbolting the a/c canister just to be able to pull those lines back. it can be done you just have to know what you're doing. I used a 16mm deep well socket on a 1.5" extension and got the #6 and 8 plugs like that. all others i used a 3" extension.

Nate
Old 03-07-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

remove the coil packs on the passenger side. the #8 plug you might still have to remove/install from underneath the car. there's also a good write-up at www.installuniversity.com
Old 03-07-2005, 06:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

thanx guys ill give it a shot
Old 03-08-2005, 05:15 AM
9 Second Club

Heres another tip for you and everyone else.Once you pull off the coil packs,you will notice bolts with points or threads on them .Well take them out and switch them with the other bolts on the coil pack assembly(Or get a cut off tool and cut off the point).Arrange the bolts so the ones with the point on them are closer to the center of the car.You'll thank me later when it time to put the plug wire back on.That would be one less object in the engine bay digging and putting little scrap marks on your arm.This dont make nessarity any easier but does prevent a little injury and aggravation.Plus if you decide to cut them off ,your car will weigh a couple of ounces lighter.
Old 03-08-2005, 09:00 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

On the passenger side, pull the coil packs. Take the last two bolts that hold down the coil packs and throw them somewhere never to be found. 3 bolts will hold the coil packs just fine. Mine has been like this for over 5 years.

Unbolt the EGR tube from the exhaust manifold (2 10mm bolts) and move that line out of the way.

Pull the plug wires. the first 2 cylinders are easy. The back 2 are easiest if you angle the coil pack down in the back. You will put them on this way as well.

Now that you have all the crap out of the way pull and replace the plugs. The first 3 are easy. The back plug can be done from the top by touch. Just be patient and you will get it.