Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking For Car Trailer Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 07:30 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Looking For Car Trailer Recommendations

OK guys/gals, the time has come for me to get a car trailer and I was wanting as much feedback as possible as far as recommendations. What I am wanting is an open trailer in either 18 or 20 feet, with a steel floor, 4ft dove, steel slide in ramps (prefer the ones that do not come out), and aluminum rock guard. So far I have looked at the Big Tex (a little too expensive), Magnum (even more too expensive), Texas Bragg ( I was leaning towards this one at one time, but it uses 4" channel on the tonque and has exposed trailer wires), and the Diamond C Trailer (this is the one I am leaning towards right now, there premium trailer with 5"channel tonque, LED lights, wiring in conduit,and a bunch of bell and whistles). I just have never talked to anyone with experience with the Diamond C Trailer. Do any of you all have any suggestions. Ideas on things to look for, things to avoid, brands you have had good or bad luck with, any help would be greatly appreciated. I would like to place the order for this trailer by the end of the week. Thanks
Old 03-07-2005, 10:07 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Me personally I went with the wood deck vice the metal - why I found out that the metal deck is slick when wet or any fluids. The dove tail is a must. Make sure you have all the lights, electric brakes, an emergency brake away set up.

If you want a wide variety of trailers try www.racingjunk.com . Go to "towing" category.. pick either "used" or "new" trailers.

Good luck. --- oh by the way, I paid $1700 for my 18' up here in South Dakota - has everything to include a "nose" guard that saved the SS from many of a stone chips. I now own a 30' enclosed also

David
Old 03-08-2005, 10:35 AM
LS1TECH Sponsor

I have a 22' tilt back. It has no ramps as there is an 18' section of the deck that tilts and you just drive on. There is also a 4' section to put stuff on. Works well for me.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:44 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

What is your budget?
Old 03-08-2005, 12:06 PM
TECH Junkie

I have an Anderson 18' that I bought from a local dealer (Anderson's are out of GA). You might want to check with The Trailer Man over there >>>>

You may end up needing longer ramps to clear the nose when loading/unloading. I've got a dove tail and I've still got to jack up the trailer for clearance
Old 03-08-2005, 02:14 PM
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just sold my 18' H&H Speedloader. It was a tilt bed (no PITA ramps) with a lifetime warranty wood deck and single axle brakes. Paid $1800 for it new 2 years ago, but they're selling for around $2100 now. The tilt bed is an absolute necessity if your car is lowered at all. Mine would not go up a trailer with ramps, even with a 4' dovetail.

http://www.hhtrailer.com/viewtrailer.asp?id=289
Old 03-08-2005, 07:20 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by bickelfirebird
What is your budget?
$3,000.00 is the absolute max I am willing to spend and that would have to include the steel floor, the optional rock guard, 4ft dove, 5+ ft steel ramps, spare and spare rack, etc. I have considered a tilt bed, but the ones I have seen locally are the Texas Roll Back trailers and they are little out of the price range.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:24 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by next
I have an Anderson 18' that I bought from a local dealer (Anderson's are out of GA). You might want to check with The Trailer Man over there >>>>

You may end up needing longer ramps to clear the nose when loading/unloading. I've got a dove tail and I've still got to jack up the trailer for clearance
I looked at their trailers, and they would have to come down more on price to get my business. They are just not as aesthetically appealing as some of the others comparably priced.
Old 03-08-2005, 07:29 PM
TECH Resident

Here is a link to the one I am leaning towards, I just wish I could hear from someone that has one: http://www.diamondctrailers.com/trai...rger/12CHS.htm
For $3020.00 I can get that one with polished aluminum rock guard, aluminum diamond plate covered ramps (instead of the tubular), spare tire and rack.
Old 03-09-2005, 06:35 AM
TECH Fanatic

Keep your eye out for used trailers also, you can really find some good deals if you look. I have had my ear to the ground for a couple of months and ran across a 32' enclosed, with cabnets, work surface, load levelers, 2 sway bars, and an electric tougne jack for 4500.00
Old 03-09-2005, 04:45 PM
TECH Senior Member

I have a BigTex 70DM. Picked it up for around $2200 (if memory serves me correctly). Got the built in slide-out ramps and 2-axle brakes. It's a nice trailer. Tows very well. My only real complaint was that the wheel well is a little too tall, so I had to bolt some 2x12's to the deck of the trailer for the front tires to ride on - so I could open the door to get out of my car. I also have to use the front jack to lift the tongue of the trailer so that the nose of the car doesn't hit the back of the trailer as I'm pulling the car on/off, but that's not a real big deal. Yeah, I could have done the removable fender thing, but the trailer guy I bought it from didn't recommend a removable fender.

Overall, I'm happy with my purchase, and I'd do it again.

Pics here: http://www.akmcables.com/trailer.htm
Old 03-10-2005, 04:06 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 350 Likes on 239 Posts

I am in the market as well, I looked at the diamond c 40ech trailer. 18 ft with steel deck and tube ramps. very nice trailer for $2200 . I tried to load on it before I bought and could not get my car on it with out hitting the front spoiler on my non lowered ta. I had to turn the deal down as I want to just drive on with out having to jack it up and put boards down in front of the ramps.

Hilltop trailers in Hattiesburg ms sells an 18 ft dove tail that my car loads on with out having to jack it up . very nice wood deck trailer for $1595.00
Old 03-13-2005, 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by AINT SKEERED
I am in the market as well, I looked at the diamond c 40ech trailer. 18 ft with steel deck and tube ramps. very nice trailer for $2200 . I tried to load on it before I bought and could not get my car on it with out hitting the front spoiler on my non lowered ta. I had to turn the deal down as I want to just drive on with out having to jack it up and put boards down in front of the ramps.

Hilltop trailers in Hattiesburg ms sells an 18 ft dove tail that my car loads on with out having to jack it up . very nice wood deck trailer for $1595.00
Does the 40ECH have a 2ft dove or 4 ft dove, I looked at the pics and it looks like a 2 ft, but it does not specify in the specs. I may have something at home with the specs on it, I will check when I get home. That would suck if I ordered my trailer and the car would not clear (I know I can jack the front up, this is what I have had to do when I use a flat 16' trailer, but when spending the extra money for a car hauler with long ramps and dove, you do not expect to have to do that). I have heard that a lot of 2 ft doves do still have that problem which is my reason for only considering 4 ft dove trailers. I also would hope to be able to load my roomates C5 if the need ever arrised without complication.

Last edited by BOWTIE; 03-13-2005 at 06:36 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-14-2005, 12:19 AM
TECH Resident

Anyone else with some input???

Quick Reply: Looking For Car Trailer Recommendations