Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Rear sway bar necessary?

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 09:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear sway bar necessary?

I just recently installed my 12-bolt and have not been around the parts store to pick up a set of U-bolts so I could mount up my sway bar...question...will I harm anything by driving around like this? I've heard before of a couple of people just removing it but would like additional info...

Thanks in advance for your input!
Old 03-07-2005, 10:05 PM
That's what she said...

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

not sure about driving w/ no rear swaybar. i would just get a set of u-bolts and slap 'em on

p.s. - you will find that the stock rubber bushing retainer straps (that bolt to the stock u-bolts and hold the bushing in place) arent going to fit the 3" u-bolts. if you lay them on the ground with the arc pointing up and give 'em a few whacks w/ a hammer, they will spread open. once you get them bolted into place, tighten each side a little at a time and the pressure will re-form them to the bushings and they will look factory
Old 03-08-2005, 10:41 AM
10 Second Club

I wouldn't drive it around without a rear swaybar. Front ok but you need the rear.
Old 03-08-2005, 10:44 AM
Launching!

Sway bar i not really nessacary unless ya do alot of flying down highways and in curves. The sway bars purpose is to keep the car level on both sides. Going in a curve the drivers side pulls down on the passenger side and keeps the car from leaning to much to one side . May be this will help ya a little!
Old 03-08-2005, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Thanks for the input guys!