Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

Moser 9" spewing fluid......no idea why

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2005, 10:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Moser 9" spewing fluid......no idea why

Ok so I took this Moser 9" from my buddy's car(2MuchRiceMakesMeSick) and bought it it from him, and installed it. Now on the drive home it spewed fluid like mad crazy out of the breather nub on the left axle tube. Figured it was just some sort of adjustment period from going from a 'verter a4 car to an m6 car. well it slowed down quite a bit after the first nite, but it quietly continued to leak oil out of the breather nub. I installed the breather tube like it should have had, but all that did was re-route where the fluid went, not stop the leak.

I'm kinda lost here. Tomorrow morning I'll be totally draining her and putting a fresh batch of oil in there to ensure it has the right amount(Moser said about 4 qts). I swear to god if it keeps spewin oil everywhere I'll go postal....wtf is the issue??? Its a 35spline gundrilled axle full spool Moser 9"....should be damn near unbreakable for my purposes. Its not leaking anywhere else. I know its almost empty cuz its whining now, where it didn't a few days ago. WTF is going on here? I put a call in to Jay @ Billingsley today but haven't heard anything back yet. He's a busy guy tho, so I understand. Moser was lost, as much as the guy on the phone wanted to help(wasn't too bright). I need yer help here fellas!!! This car needs to be roadworthy again to visit my newborn twin daughters in the hospital!!
Old 03-07-2005, 11:15 PM
kp
8 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4 qts seems a bit much, are you filling it up until it comes out of the hole on the side of the case or does it have a fill plug and you are just dumpimg 4 qts in?
Old 03-08-2005, 08:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

i haven't filled it yet, so i can't say. i'm going to be draining it completely empty, and thats what the guy @ moser told me. what would sound more reasonable? he mentioned the hole on the side of the case as well and i am unfamiliar with that....gonna have to check that out when i get under there today.
Old 03-08-2005, 01:49 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Do you have a vent hose running up, about 18", to vent out air?
If you cannot get it to stop you might have to plug it and redrill a hole and tap it down on the axle tube.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:33 PM
11 Second Club

it sounds like you are using too much fluid. Just take the plug out and fill until you see fluid coming out then put your plug back in and cap your fill-hole (if you have one)
Old 03-08-2005, 08:03 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Johnny5
it sounds like you are using too much fluid. Just take the plug out and fill until you see fluid coming out then put your plug back in and cap your fill-hole (if you have one)
Exactly what I was thinking as soon as I read your post. I just changed mine sunday and it only took about 2.5 qts before it was coming out the side hole.
BTW, You'll need and allen to open the plug on the side.
Old 03-08-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Resident

2.5 Quarts measured it today on my digital pump...
Old 03-11-2005, 10:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

well i filled it last nite and it took 2.5 quarts. so far no spewing, and i put a piece of styrofoam over my breather hose to prevent the siphon effect. we'll see how it goes.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:00 AM
11 Second Club

Mine did that, I added two much gear oil, so I had to drain some out. No probs since. I thought the more oil the better. I was wrong.

Quick Reply: Moser 9" spewing fluid......no idea why