Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Car backfires/hesitates/feels like its losing power

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2005, 01:59 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Car backfires/hesitates/feels like its losing power

Sorry for reposting a similiar topic. I asked for advice from some mechanics over in town and they told me it can be something w/the ignition system. I checked the spark plugs and wiring and they were all good. Then I took it to auto zone 4 a free diagnostics test and i dont have the codes with me but they said I ran rich/lean. I'm thinking im going to need to get it tuned. I asked around different places but the prices (if they offer tuning) are between 300-500$. I took it to a pontiac dealership and they said they're going to charge around the same. I've seen some tuners on the net like diablo and others specifically for this issue among others. Are these tuners easy to work and if so what #'s do i check w/to see if my car is running to lean or not. Don't know if I should buy the tuner for 350-500$ or just pay someone to fix it for the same price? Also, I'm from san marcos tx. and if anyone knows where to get a tunning for cheap around this area let me know.

Please help, THX.
Old 03-08-2005, 03:41 PM
Cal
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

A little more information about the car would help. If not stock, what was the last mod? LT1 or LS1 engine?
Old 03-08-2005, 04:08 PM
Teching In

My bad. Its a 2001 TransAm LS1. Only engine mod was a T1 cam from MTI(Motorsport Technologies) and Mac-headers(no-cats). The rest were bolt-ons(Pulley, Air Filterw/lid, Ripper-shifter, PCM programming by MTI, Borla, MAF senser). Alos, would I be able to adjust the lean/rich aspect with a programmer instead of getting the whole PC programed again???
Old 03-08-2005, 08:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got almost the exact same set up in my SS, to include a T1. My car does the same thing and I'm 100% sure it's from running WAY too rich. I'm sure my plugs are fouled all to hell and pretty sure my O2 sensors are shot. Gonna pick up a HP Tuner one of these days, and then I'll take it to a dyno to get it tuned with new plugs and O2 sensors installed. Let me know if you find anything out in the mean time.
Old 03-09-2005, 11:05 PM
Teching In

easy rule to remember, backfire in exhaust-running too rich, backfire in intake-running to lean