Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

nasty noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 09:09 AM
FormerVendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nasty noise

I know most 10 bolts make noise with a gear, But i just recently bought a bird with a m6 and it had a little whine which is not a big deal. But i got on it a few time, "not launches but rolling", and now this thing sounds like the wheel spinning from wheel of fortune lol. This thing is nasty. Im sure its the ring and pinion and most likely didnt get set up right to begin with. Or its just time for a 12 bolt. What do you guys think is causing it???
Old 03-09-2005, 09:48 AM
Launching!

I would pull the rear cover on the rear and inspect the gears and see if ya can see what brand for gears ya got that will tell la a lot! May have a broke tooth or a set of richmond gears are 8 times out of 10 noises as crap!
Old 03-09-2005, 10:54 PM
FormerVendor

I hear people say that on here about different brand gears making noise, but most gears are actually made by just a few company's and others put there name on it. You dont think it's an installer error??? This is the first car ive ever had or seen that has had so much rear-end problems. The 8.5 10 bolt in my nova takes the abuse of 1.40 60 foots, makes abolutly no noise whatsoever and thats a richmond, so im just kindof stunned right now with the 7.5 10 bolt
Old 03-10-2005, 06:23 PM
FormerVendor

well now im convinced they only make noise when someone doesnt set the clearance up properly. Pulled the cover and the pinion broke, and has been set up poorly to begin with and thats why it whined so much. Where can i get shims for this because im going to have to figure out whats the best clearance to set this at since i can't go off of what this was. have to start from scratch