Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

engine started!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 08:05 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default engine started!!

hey guys, i just started the new motor today and WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it sounds and feels amazing.....i have no words to describe my feelings right now.

I have a concern though. It cant seem to find a comfortable idle. It was tuned for the new motor. I was wondering if this is usual or something to worry about.

the first few times it wouldnt even try but as time passed it tried but couldnt hold it.

any suggestions. Im not sure if this is the right section so ill post in another as well.

thanks
Old 03-09-2005, 10:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

What's the idle set at now? With the 408, I would try an 800 or 900 RPM for it to be comfterble.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even if it is tuned, it will still have to learn the fuel curve and everything just like a stock ecm would. I think it takes a few, what they call driving cycles for it to really learn everything again. Its kinda like if your battery is disconnected for a little while, it will search for idle until it re-learns the fuel curve and settings.
Old 03-10-2005, 08:43 AM
TECH Addict

thanks ya'll,

I head this morning and im still getting a significant lifter noise. Could this be that the lifters arent charged yet? Also, is they arent charged, would that affect idle? I just hope that im geting to anxious to have it running.

Wickedbird00: Wat do you mean by driving cycles?

thanks,
Angel
Old 03-10-2005, 02:45 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by obZidian
thanks ya'll,

I head this morning and im still getting a significant lifter noise. Could this be that the lifters arent charged yet? Also, is they arent charged, would that affect idle? I just hope that im geting to anxious to have it running.

Wickedbird00: Wat do you mean by driving cycles?

thanks,
Angel
The lifters should not take that long to pump up. You might have to have it retuned to get the idle right. Ride around with auto tap running and the tuner should be able to fix most of it.

A drive cycle is how long it takes for you computer to scan all the systems in the vehicle. It depends on how you drive but usually takes about 70-80 miles. If the computer has found something wrong you won't know untill the drive cycle for that system is done, then it will click your check engine light on.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:41 PM
TECH Addict

ok, this is the update....

the car idles ok in park (no load) but way to high.....about 1250rpm'z. As soon as i drop it in gear (load) it shuts off quickly....

Also, most of the lifter ticks are gone for the esxecption of just one. (It seems this way but it could be two.....)

wat do ya'll think. we've been running it all day today and it seems like all but one lifter has finally settled...

i know i should be pacient bu this is driving me nuts....the car sounds Monsterous though and i cant wait to have it settle nice so i can drive it!!!!

so wat do ya'll think?

thanks in advance!!

also yes, i did notice a check engine light tonight.....could the lifter noise be picked up by the knock sensors and mess with the idle characteristics?
Old 03-12-2005, 12:03 AM
TECH Addict

ok, this just in....

"STUBORN LIFTER FOUND, MOTOR IS RUNNING LIKE A CHAMP!!!!!!"

Turns out that the lifter was just messing with me and it finally charged and idle is fine but most importantly, the motor form A.P.E. is with out a doubt amazing. The rumble is CRAZY and the motor had no issues. Rockers where all torques down nice and well balanced, again, i would like to thank A.P.E. (Nick, Chris, Rudy, and all the guys/uh..people) for their hard work and for supplying me with a monster...IT definitely has earned the title as "Angel 408ci Monster"

Well, gotta go and have some fun...hehehehe...again, thanks A.P.E. for the excitment, possibly the best decision ive made concerning my Z....