Generation III Internal Engine 1997-2006 LS1 | LS6
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Building my first motor, got some questions.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2005, 10:47 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Building my first motor, got some questions.

Ok i have a good stock crank, a 98 LS1 block that had spun a rod bearing, and am about to order the rings, ARP rod bolts and bearings.
I'm going to drop off the block at a machine shop to get some new cam bearings put in and to clean it up. is there anything else i should have them do to it? Can i just order stock sized rings and bearings and assemble it? should i plasti gauge all the bearings to check for oiul clearence? Does it need to be honed?
Any other tips would be nice THANX.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Whats the milage on the block? What condition? its a 98 block? If youre reusing the stock pistons with new rings, you have to hone a cross hatch back into the cylinder walls to seat the rings. This is a bit of a double edged sword since if the original cross hatch is not visable, your cylinders may be out of round and will require boring and oversized pistons. If the factory cross hatch is still clearly visable, you still need to hone fresh crosshatch to seat the rings. Some people claim you can use a ball hone on a drill, but since youre bringing the block to the shop, why not let them do it right.
Old 03-10-2005, 09:22 AM
11 & 7 Second Clubs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SUX2BU
Ok i have a good stock crank, a 98 LS1 block that had spun a rod bearing, and am about to order the rings, ARP rod bolts and bearings.
I'm going to drop off the block at a machine shop to get some new cam bearings put in and to clean it up. is there anything else i should have them do to it? Can i just order stock sized rings and bearings and assemble it? should i plasti gauge all the bearings to check for oiul clearence? Does it need to be honed?
Any other tips would be nice THANX.
I sincerely admire you for trying to build a motor yourself. Unless you've built previous LS1 motors under the guidance of an experienced builder, you are likely to be disappointed in your results. JMHO.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

I wouldn't be that harsh. Get the manual, follow the manual, and work with a local (dependable) machine shop to get any measurements that you can't figure out or have them look at items you have a question about.
There is no "magic" in putting an engine together- just clearances and torque values.
Old 03-10-2005, 06:06 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nevermind i got a local machine shop thats going to put it together for me. I'm pretty sure i could do it i mean I'm an experienced private installer. I've done maybe 15 head swaps, 8 motor sweps, 10 rebuilt T56's, 30 clutches/converters, 20 rear ends and about 60 cam swaps. i've taken LS1 motors apart and put them back together before (blew up a piston) but never actually rebuilt one..
The Machine shop is going to install new cam bearings, hone it, clean and check everything and assemble for $500.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:22 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by RX-Ben
I wouldn't be that harsh. Get the manual, follow the manual, and work with a local (dependable) machine shop to get any measurements that you can't figure out or have them look at items you have a question about.
There is no "magic" in putting an engine together- just clearances and torque values.

what he said.......EXCEPT for one thing......

many machine shops will try to build an LS1 with the kinds of clearance they would use in an iron block SBC....this is BAD BAD BAD.......

fallow the manual 100% by the letter.......if you do that you will have a good engine....