Appearance & Detailing Interior & Exterior Appearance Modifications
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DashLynx
View Poll Results: What Color Pin Stripe?
Red
15.00%
Black
15.00%
Charcoal
25.00%
Light Grey
0%
Silver
15.00%
Orange
30.00%
Other - Please Post Suggestion
0%
Voters: 20. You may not vote on this poll

What Color Pin Stripe on Viper Blue/Grey 2 Tone?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 03:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Color Pin Stripe on Viper Blue/Grey 2 Tone 3rd Gen?

Hey Everyone,
I need some help chosing a pin stripe for my 89 Camaro. Over the last 1.5 years my car's been going through a major overhall. It now has a T56 and modified LS1. This last week it finally rolled out of the paint booth. It is two toned Viper GTS Blue Pearl on Viper Steel Grey Pearl. I'm having a tough time deciding on what I should do with the pin stripe. I'm thinking a 3/16" to 1/4" thickness would be ideal. The colors I'm thinking are chevy red, black, dark charcoal or a lighter grey/silver. Any and all colors are open to debate. A few of my friends think I should go with a lighter grey or silver stripe, but I think it may blend too much with the Viper grey. I also kind of like the idea of red as a contrast to the two colors. The pin stripe will be my accent color for a lot of little ods and ends such as the 5.7 L writing on the FRCs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You can see additional pictures of my car on my website:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jlanthie

Page 23 has all the recent painted pictures. There is one particular picture that has a sample pinstripe that I was using for photoshop purposes. Feel free to check out the entire site.

Thanks!

Last edited by jlanthie; 03-10-2005 at 04:16 PM.
Old 03-10-2005, 10:22 AM
Launching!

I say the same color grey thats on the sides...or black
Old 03-10-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Black, Metallic Red or Lime Green. You want the pinstripe to stand out, but you also want it to seperate the lines between the blue and silver. And 3/8" - 1/4" is about as big as I'd go
Old 03-10-2005, 10:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Personally I was gonna say some type of orange to compliment, and than i saw the pic up top with the tape on it. I think red or a bright yellow would look awesome too though. Since the other 2 colors are from the viper, i'd go with one of the colors offered on them.
Old 03-10-2005, 11:05 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think the charcoal would look sweet, but if you want it to stand out, then go with red or orange. If you saw the latest episode of Overhaulin', Foose did a similar color combo to yours with blue on top and silver on sides and he did an orange graphic to separate the colors and it looked sweet...
Old 03-11-2005, 10:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What do you want? subtle or extreme?

Leaning to the extreme, say yellow, orange, aqua, something vibrant, but tastefull.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:37 PM
Teching In

I'd probably say more on the subtle or conservative side. Something clean and not to over done. Something that could be tasteful as accents in the interior and under the hood. The GTS blue is already pretty extreme and catches the eye. The pinstripe would be just to break the colors.
Old 03-11-2005, 12:53 PM
NKAWTG...N

i think black or the pearl white color they use on the vipers would look great. ive always been a fan of the viper blue with the white stripes...that car looks hot!
Old 03-11-2005, 01:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

I say red, black or silver.
Old 03-11-2005, 11:44 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by jlanthie
Hey Everyone,
I need some help chosing a pin stripe for my 89 Camaro. Over the last 1.5 years my car's been going through a major overhall. It now has a T56 and modified LS1. This last week it finally rolled out of the paint booth. It is two toned Viper GTS Blue Pearl on Viper Steel Grey Pearl. I'm having a tough time deciding on what I should do with the pin stripe. I'm thinking a 3/16" to 1/4" thickness would be ideal. The colors I'm thinking are chevy red, black, dark charcoal or a lighter grey/silver. Any and all colors are open to debate. A few of my friends think I should go with a lighter grey or silver stripe, but I think it may blend too much with the Viper grey. I also kind of like the idea of red as a contrast to the two colors. The pin stripe will be my accent color for a lot of little ods and ends such as the 5.7 L writing on the FRCs.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. You can see additional pictures of my car on my website:

http://www.cardomain.com/id/jlanthie

Page 23 has all the recent painted pictures. There is one particular picture that has a sample pinstripe that I was using for photoshop purposes. Feel free to check out the entire site.

Thanks!
I do this stuff for a living go with yellow to break up the two colors
Old 03-12-2005, 07:44 AM
'Bird Director

Location: Central Indiana Honors: 4th grade spelling bee contestant
Received 24 Likes on 16 Posts

I voted red, but orange would be good too. With two-tones, you need the pinstripe to create contrast. Otherwise it doesn't look right where the two main colors of the car meet. It's the same reason you see a lot of flame jobs pinstriped in blue (especially on black cars). The contrasting color helps make the paint job "pop"!

I had an '88 Camaro Sport Coupe with the 2.8 V6. It was painted Medium Maui Blue Metallic. Seeing your car brings back a lot of memories, and makes me wish I still had mine.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Here is something new to throw into the mix. Not to go off topic, but if I was to go with the Budnik Shotguns or Groove shown below, what do you guys think about powder coating the polished spokes a silver/grey/charcoal, leaving the center groove brushed and brushing the lips? In that case what would you do with the pin stripe? Silver/grey/charcoal to match? Or would you still go with a a contrast color such as red, yellow or black so you can highlight calipers and other parts that color?

Budnik Shotgun

Budnik Groove

BTW I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten thus far. You've given me much more to think about.

Last edited by jlanthie; 03-12-2005 at 04:33 PM.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

There's not going to be any more of a contrast than blue's compliment of orange. I voted for orange but a lime green would look sweet.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:03 PM
TECH Addict

Thumbs up orange

I like the orange!!!
Old 03-12-2005, 09:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

I would personally go with a somewhat vibrant color: lime green, red, yellow, or orange.
Old 03-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Banned

not sure about wut color but have u thought about a little tribal pinstriping?
Old 03-13-2005, 04:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by jlanthie
Here is something new to throw into the mix. Not to go off topic, but if I was to go with the Budnik Shotguns or Groove shown below, what do you guys think about powder coating the polished spokes a silver/grey/charcoal, leaving the center groove brushed and brushing the lips? In that case what would you do with the pin stripe? Silver/grey/charcoal to match? Or would you still go with a a contrast color such as red, yellow or black so you can highlight calipers and other parts that color?

Budnik Shotgun

Budnik Groove
BTW I appreciate all the feedback I've gotten thus far. You've given me much more to think about.
Personally, I would paint/powdercoat the center groove and leave the outer edges the polished or brushed look they already have maybe going with the Steel Grey Pearl. Than highlight your calipers with the color you choose for the pinstripe or with the blue up top.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Junkie

orange, and orange on the inside of the wheel spokes, and maybe either orange or the silver of the car on the calipers
Old 04-14-2005, 02:34 PM
Teching In

Thanks to all who posted! After careful thought, consideration and advice from all of you I've decided to go with the orange! I'll post picks up as soon as I get it done!

Quick Reply: What Color Pin Stripe on Viper Blue/Grey 2 Tone?