Wheels & Tires Forged | Billet | Cast | Radials | Slicks

ARP Stud Installation Question

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 12:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default ARP Stud Installation Question

Hey guys, I just took my car over to have some new rims, tires and ARP studs put on and the guy is telling me you have to disassemble the rear end to get the longer studs in. Is that true?

Also, does anyone know if these studs require an open ended lug? I got the Gorilla locking lugs. When I screw one all the way down it looks like there is about 3/4 of an inch of thread left in the middle.

Any help is appreciated as I gotta go pick up the car after work today.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:33 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't have an access hole in the backing plate, you can drill a hole through it. That's how I did it on my 10 bolt and soon to on my 9". I also used closed lugs in the past, but have open end now. But to answer your question, my closed lugs worked fine. Maybe you need a deeper lug nut.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:07 PM
On The Tree

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Derek98z
If you don't have an access hole in the backing plate, you can drill a hole through it. That's how I did it on my 10 bolt and soon to on my 9". I also used closed lugs in the past, but have open end now. But to answer your question, my closed lugs worked fine. Maybe you need a deeper lug nut.
Is drilling a hole in the backing plate potentially dangerous? These guys I took the car to are some real yokels I guess. Not the speed shop I thought they were so Im not sure if I want them drilling on my car and definitely dont want them taking my axels apart
Old 03-10-2005, 06:06 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by PROGRESS
Is drilling a hole in the backing plate potentially dangerous?
:
I also would like to know the answer to that question.
Old 03-10-2005, 07:13 PM
10 Second Club

Originally Posted by wickdws6bird
I also would like to know the answer to that question.
I believe the backing plate for the 4 channel ABS and 3 Channel system is different. I "heard" the 4 channel is easier where you grind off the corner to allow access for the longer stud. I have the 3 channel ABS (non-tracion control car) and it would take a serious amount of grinding to allow access. So much I felt the rigidty was compromised. So I did not install them for the rear. The correct way to install them is to remove the axles for access.
Old 03-11-2005, 08:29 AM
12 Second Club

No, it's not a problem. There is a spot that's obvious to see where the sensor would go for ?TCS? I think. Most cars WILL have a hole there.
Old 03-11-2005, 09:22 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Derek98z
No, it's not a problem. There is a spot that's obvious to see where the sensor would go for ?TCS? I think. Most cars WILL have a hole there.

Thanks i WAS going to be pulling the axels tom but i dont have TCS so Im going to go the drilling route