Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LS1 Block needs a weld

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2005, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS1 Block needs a weld

I picked up an LS1 longblock for $500, it has <30K on it, was in a 2000 SS, the small mounting ear that one of the starter bolts, threads to was crack off, the delearship swapped the guys motor under warranty and was gonna send this one off to the scrap yard. Long story short, i have a pefectly good motor, just need this welded back on, there in lies the problem. i know to weld to alum. that the block will have to be slowly heated, then welded, then slowly cooled and it takes some finess as to not go warping the block or cracking it further. The whole ideas is so that i can build this motor to a nice street strip motor and still drive my car, then swap the engine when its done over a weekend and not miss a the car....I am new to the LS1 scene and was wondering if anyone new a repetable place i could go to get this done
thanks
Old 03-10-2005, 12:37 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If that tab is busted off and there are no other cracks clamp, or if you have to put a tack, on the piece to hold it in place. Heat the area with a rose bud and an acetylene torch. Use a heat pen to check your heat. You need about 600 degrees. Then weld it up with a spool gun and let it cool naturally. A nother trick my dad told me about. Blacken the alluminum with acetylene. then heat it untill the soot burns off. I've never seen it done that way, but he did it in the Army I guess.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:38 PM

Preheating helps but,a qualified TIG welder can do the job on that part of the motor with out the preheating.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:40 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Unaffiliated Racing
Preheating helps but,a qualified TIG welder can do the job on that part of the motor with out the preheating.
A tig will help, but I would still put a little heat on it. Its pretty thick.
Old 03-10-2005, 12:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

bolt it in place to hold it just right, and have someone TIG it.

for the starter mount, that'll work fine.. preheating would be nice and make it easier, but if hes a good welder, he should be able to do it without heating.
Old 03-10-2005, 01:32 PM
jmX
TECH Junkie

If that tab is busted, it could have meant the engine was locked up for one reason or another (hydrolock?). Every time I've heard of the tab breaking, it was caused by another issue. Are you sure the engine is perfectly fine aside from that?
Old 03-10-2005, 01:35 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Unaffiliated Racing
I agree, take it to a machine shop with a good tig and let them have at it.
Old 03-10-2005, 02:36 PM

The one I have seen like that was probably due to a severe collision.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:38 PM
TECH Addict

Just a thought. You could try a product like this... http://www.aluminumrepair.com/aluminum_repair.htm
Just a suggestion. I've used it before and it's pretty good at re-creating broken tabs and such.
Old 03-10-2005, 04:19 PM
Teching In

thanks for all the replies.... it is cracked right thru the threads, so i will just do like u all said, have it tig welded, then just drill out the hole and use a bolt and nut

or i could just be real cool and use an external starter like i have a nitro car....that might turn some heads at the grocery store parking lot

but seriously that was my first post, its great to see how fast the replies are, seems to be a pretty good community of car nuts in here

thanks again
Old 03-10-2005, 11:19 PM
TECH Veteran

my TIG welder is one of my best friends.......

Quick Reply: LS1 Block needs a weld