Gears & Axles Driveshafts | Rearends | Differentials | Gears | 12 Bolt | 9 Inch | Dana

What could happen if I left my tranny being held up by only my driveshaft? Motor...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2005, 01:04 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy What could happen if I left my tranny being held up by only my driveshaft? Motor...

is almost done being put together and the car is on jackstand without a motor in. So the front of the car is about 1 1/2 feet in the air, I had a jack and a big piece of wood holding up the tranny. Well I travel a lot and been very busy, noticed the jack went down leaving the tranny floating
Now the only thing holding the tranny up is the driveshaft, ect. I know it was stupid of me to leave my car like that
What could happen from this... a bent driveshaft or maybe messed up tranny?

TIA
Old 03-11-2005, 02:31 AM
Restricted User

Are you saying the trans is not connected to the Xmember? If so, there could be some damage to the D/S I imagine. If the D/S is resting on the cross-brace located aft the Xmember, and trans is not supported by anything else, I could fear it would be dented or bent. If not, your lucky. Good luck and plz post results.

Charlie
Old 03-11-2005, 10:55 AM
10 Second Club

I think you will be fine. Unless the tranny came crashing down I don't think it hurt the DS. IMO, it will see much more abuse on launch then having the jack bleed down.
Old 03-11-2005, 05:15 PM
TECH Regular

no crashing down but just hanging from the driveshaft. I will post a picture

now that I think about it and look at the pictre, I dont think anything will be bent
I thought I had removed the brace holding the tranny

Attached Thumbnails What could happen if I left my tranny being held up by only my driveshaft? Motor...-tranny.jpg  

Last edited by SStroked 410; 03-11-2005 at 05:29 PM.
Old 03-11-2005, 10:01 PM
Restricted User

How did you pull the engine? The cars jacked up, but the wheels are still on, did you drop the Kmember/engine and put the Kmember back in or what, just curious.
With the brace in you should be good. Yes the DS will see more abuse at the track, but the pressure from the side it normally wouldnt see, like standing on a coke can, it can support your weight, but tap the side and it crumbles!