Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Header true dual question?

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2005, 02:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Header true dual question?

I installed some longtube headers and true duals cut off just before the rearend. I have the front 2 o2 sensors in but theres no spot for the back o2's. My question is if I get o2 sims will i feel more power? Right now it has less power then it did before. Im getting my cam delivered monday, should I just wait to get the tune and forget the o2's or do i need them also.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:22 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 01SSDRVR
I installed some longtube headers and true duals cut off just before the rearend. I have the front 2 o2 sensors in but theres no spot for the back o2's. My question is if I get o2 sims will i feel more power? Right now it has less power then it did before. Im getting my cam delivered monday, should I just wait to get the tune and forget the o2's or do i need them also.
I take it you're not running cats right? If anything, I don't think your "losing" power has anything to do with your rear O2s. It has more to do with you getting your mods tuned out. If you're getting tuned fairly soon here, don't worry bout the sims cuz they can take care of that easily.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Removing the rear o2's will not take away any power what so ever. All they do is tell the computer if the cats are working. The o2 simms just stop the codes from being thrown.
Old 03-12-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Junkie

My advice would be to not bother with installing rear O2 sensors even if you DO have cats. Instead just pick up a pair of O2 simms (for DTCs and emissions testing if applicable), install the cam, and get a tune. You should be looking good after that.
Old 03-12-2005, 11:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
My advice would be to not bother with installing rear O2 sensors even if you DO have cats. Instead just pick up a pair of O2 simms (for DTCs and emissions testing if applicable), install the cam, and get a tune. You should be looking good after that.
When you get tuned, they will set the SES enable off for the rear O2s. So DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON SIMS. It's all included in your tune anyway. Those things aint cheap either. Money better spent elsewhere.
Old 03-13-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by txhorns281
When you get tuned, they will set the SES enable off for the rear O2s. So DO NOT WASTE MONEY ON SIMS. It's all included in your tune anyway. Those things aint cheap either. Money better spent elsewhere.
I was under the impression that an OBD-II emissions test could detect that the O2's had been disabled via tuning. Is this not correct? I know that with simms they can't tell.
Old 03-13-2005, 07:29 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by Fulton 1
I was under the impression that an OBD-II emissions test could detect that the O2's had been disabled via tuning. Is this not correct? I know that with simms they can't tell.
I wouldn't know....I have not actually had my car "tested" since my cats have been gone! I just get my stickers.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

I thought if you didnt have the rear o2's in place the on board computer would make the car run in a closed loop cause its not getting a signal. Its also running extremy rich like the comp is overcompensating for the rear o2's not being there, so it wont burn the motor up. Am I mistaken? I know its losing power i can feel the difference, It had more power with my stock center mount exhaust .
Old 03-15-2005, 05:31 PM
Teching In

from what I experienced getting mine inspected. I don't have cats and I passed the test simply because I had the codes deleted from the computer. If the codes aren't there to be thrown in the first place, then no harm or failure.