Fueling & Injection Fuel Pumps | Injectors | Rails | Regulators | Tanks

my car doesnt want to fire up right???

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 12:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default my car doesnt want to fire up right???

ok i just put a fuel pump in and the wiring from racetronix. the car runs good but when i try to start up the car, it acts like it doesnt want to and then it will fire really fast. the starter is turning it over a lot more than before before it she fires up.

only thing i can think of is the ground isnt grounding out good enough. all the battery connections are tight and i have the ground on the passenger strut tower and the others are relocated by the bottom of the battery. should i just put it with the others? would that help out? any ideas?
Old 03-13-2005, 12:39 PM
TECH Senior Member

ok this is really starting to **** me off now, i have to try and start it up 2 times before it fires. the first time the motor just turns over then i cut the key off then back on and then it starts, what gives?
Old 03-13-2005, 02:07 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The enclosed ground strap should be connected directly from the battery negative post to the existing ground adjacent to it on the wheel well. This is a known good ground.
Old 03-13-2005, 04:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

thats where i have it now, but i have the others hidden, and they are grounded good. should i try they all in the same spot? i dont know what else it could be besides that ground really. and other ideas? suggestions?
Old 03-13-2005, 04:30 PM
10 Second Club

Does it actually pump gas? I would disconnect the fuel line from the intake (cover it with a rag) and turn the key to the "on" position (do not crank the engine). Listen for the fuel pump "whir" and gas should pour out of the opening.
Old 03-13-2005, 05:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

o yea it pumps i can hear it. then it fires and runs fine, might just take long the first time or a second time to fire up
Old 03-13-2005, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just put all the grounds on the same spot, it still hesitates starting up. any of you all have starting issues after pump install? im gettin new injectors this week, doubt that will help but we will see. the car revs fine from what i can tell, i tap the gas and the rpms shoot up. i dont know whats goin on, figured it would be a ground problem but i dont know. should i try and put my old battery screws back in there and put the hook ups on the back side of the main lines and try it that way?? or what??
Old 03-13-2005, 08:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

This is not an electrical problem so leave the wiring alone.
This has something to do with retaining pressure in the system.
You need a fuel pressure gauge to properly diagnose this problem.

thats what racetronix said
Old 03-14-2005, 12:16 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

probably leaking injectors, it floods the cylinders when you turn the engine off ,then when you restart it the extra gas takes a while to burn out....that's in a nutshell basically.....if you pull the injectors out they should be clean and dry, iif they are wet or have drops of gas on them they are leaking....or you could hook up a fuel pressure guage after shutdown and see how fast the pressure bleeds off
Old 03-14-2005, 12:57 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by WS6FirebirdTA00
ok i just put a fuel pump in and the wiring from racetronix. the car runs good but when i try to start up the car, it acts like it doesnt want to and then it will fire really fast. the starter is turning it over a lot more than before before it she fires up.

only thing i can think of is the ground isnt grounding out good enough. all the battery connections are tight and i have the ground on the passenger strut tower and the others are relocated by the bottom of the battery. should i just put it with the others? would that help out? any ideas?

Do you have a FP gauge? It sounds like its not FULLY priming the system. I had this SAME problem, and it sucked. Only getting 30 psi, then 50 after it started.. Afer I fixed the lines in the tank, it starts up RIGHT away now.

HTh
Old 03-14-2005, 01:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

no i dont have a gauge and the injectors are fine, this happened right after the fuel pump install, no signs of this before hand. where can a get a gauge and how much?
Old 03-14-2005, 09:35 AM
TECH Regular

Try turning the key on for 5 sec then off, then on for five sec then off do say three times then try starting the car. if it starts its leaking fp. if it is pumping gas but wont start, reg could be bad.
Old 03-14-2005, 10:32 AM
TECH Senior Member

if i try to start it one time and it wont start, the next time i try the car will start. im gonna go try waht u said though
Old 03-14-2005, 10:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

i did it 5 times in a row and then the next time i did it i tried to start and the car fired right up

each time the pump would whine for a while, with the old pump it would eventually just end up whining really fast, you could tell the system had pressure, now it seems like the lines just dont stay built up with pressure
Old 03-14-2005, 02:59 PM
TECH Regular

I would think the FP reg would be the reason you are leaking down. on a camaro it is in the tank. you need to install a gauge to make sure but the above test will help you see the prob. I guess an injector could be leaking too. Not sure how to block off the line only to test for presure loss. but I would want to test from the fuel rail to the tank and then the complete system. if presure drops from rail back to tank, its the reg. if it drops on the total system, its in the injectors. Good luck
Old 03-14-2005, 03:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

i would think the injectors are fine, they havent been touched and friday when i started the car before i did the pump it started like normal.

so are you saying the fuel pump is the issue maybe or the fuel pressure regulator? i just dont see how the regulator could be messed up seeing it all worked fine before and i didnt even touch the thing during the pump install. i guess ill fill her up with some gas and see what happens.

where can i get a fuel pressure gauge to test this out further and what signs should i look for for the different culprits?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:20 PM
TECH Fanatic

it is loosing fuel pressure from the initial prime.

open up the tank and check to make sure a clamp isnt loose or a hose might be frayed.

*another way to test - I do not accept any responisibility for this*

have the pump partially submerged in water
turn the key on
the pump will initialize
run back to the back as see if u can see the fuel escaping from the hose
Old 03-14-2005, 03:31 PM
Ozz
Launching!

I bet I know the problem, here is how to test it. Get a fuel pressure gauge from a local shop or pay them to connect it to the shrader valve on the front of the fuel rail. turn key to the on position, you should see the pressure go up and then hold. If you turn the key off and the pressure falls your check valve in the pump is bad or the plastic line is loose or leaking. I had the same problem with mine and replaced it this weekend with the racetronix and found the old one had blown out the line next to the clamp. The new system works great.
Old 03-14-2005, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just went out there and with the key on after the pump primed i pushed the schrader vavle in and nothing came out and there was no hissing. i started the car right at the end of the priming and the car started, i let it run for a sec,shut it off and then i went to push the valve in again, 10 secs after shut off and nothing once again. so i have no pressure in the rail. i made sure the plastic line was tight with that clamp they give. when the car is running as far as i can tell, well i cant tell a differecne. im about to go for a ride and see how it responds so brb. any comments?
Old 03-14-2005, 03:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

i just started the car right before the end of the pumps priming and the damn thing started really strong.