View Full Version : LG Motorsports LS 2 engine ready to Road race.

LG Motorsports
03-13-2005, 06:19 PM
Our C6 Z06 is on it's way to Sebring.

I have been absent from the forum for a while spending time finishing the new C6 Z06 race car.

I have added some more details for this section since most of you will be interested in what SCCA makes us do to slow us down.

We are on the way to Sebring Fl as we speak for the first World Challenge race next weekend.

We are not allowed to run the 7 liter engine. We have to run the 6 liter engine but we have 5 Million horsepower according to the rules makers.
(We know that comes from the LG Pro Long Tube headers:))

IF any of you are going to Fl for the race please stop by our LG trailer.

We have the LS2 6 liter engine in for this year. We can not use the 7 liter engine per the rules.

Some facts:

** We have to run a flat 1/8" restrictor plate in the 90mm throttle body. We have to put a 67.9mm flat restrictor behind the throttle body.

** The rules also make all the GM cars use the "Grand Am Cam". Our power was off on the Chassis dyno so we put another set of heads on and picked up a bit.

** We are using our LG coil over package with just different valving and spring rates.

** We have our LGM 2 stage mechanical trans/diff pump in place since we had zero problems with it in 2004.

** Of course we have our LGM exclusive Carbon Fiber Drive Shaft.

** All GM cars must also run the GM performance Cylinder heads(Lingenfelter heads) which are really bad for power, Plus they crack at #1 and #8 cylinders after just 4 races.

** We have to weigh 3100 pounds (with driver in car) and can only have 51% of that on the rear tires.

** On Tuesday the SCCA made us cut the rear fascia that was extended 2 3/4" back to stock. The viper extended theirs 24 inches and that was ok.

** The Hood louvers were reduced in size and we can not even open up 1/2 of them even though the Viper has 3 times as many which will help down force for them, hurt it for us.

** We have to plug up part of the side vents for the same reason.

We hit the track on Tuesday and there will be live timing and scoring on the www.world-Challenge.com web site for all practice, qualifying and race. The race will be this Friday the 18th at 3:45 Eastern time.

Every Corvette in the field is using our LG Pro Long Tube headers

See you there.

Lou Gigliotti

C6 Z06 ready for service

C6 Z06 ready for service

http://lgmotorsports.com/images/site/frontpageedit1.jpg

Tech
03-13-2005, 06:31 PM
Hubba Hubba. Can't wait for some video. :)

maddboost
03-13-2005, 06:51 PM
Good luck to you Lou. Im sure even with the restrictions you will still have a great race.

Maggie
03-13-2005, 06:56 PM
The car looks great Lou!

Good luck at Sebring. Now, GO GET 'EM LOU!!! :drive:

I'll see ya soon,

Maggie

Humanoid
03-13-2005, 07:22 PM
Good luck. Too bad it seems the rule makers are cutting the Vipers more slack than the Vettes

H&H Performance Depot
03-13-2005, 07:42 PM
Ya SCCA has some STUPID rules. I race a ZO6 in SCCA T-1. Hey LG do you guys build your race motors or do you have some one else?

frcefed98
03-13-2005, 08:53 PM
Simply Badass:cool: Good luck this season and put a hurting on those Viper crybabies.
J:D

NOSjohn
03-13-2005, 09:02 PM
Very VERY nice race car Lou. I hope to make it down there one day to the shop. One of these days I can drag Doug out of the dealership and take a drive down. Talk to you soon.

BurnOut
03-14-2005, 01:27 AM
That car is a machine, man... I have spent some time up at LGM over the last couple of months, and have seen the car come together. What a piece of art!! The crew that Lou has for this year are great at what they do... very professional results on everything they touch. While the rules restrictions are harsh (maybe someone on Team Viper is paying for some, ah, female company for some of the rules makers?? ;) ), I'm sure that Lou and the rest of the LGM team are going to give 'em hell this year... who knows, some of those restrictions may get eased or lifted after a race or two.

Anyhow, I look at it like this... they HAVE to do all that to keep the 'Vette down... or else it just wouldn't be fair to the other players!! :)

AdioSS
03-14-2005, 03:09 AM
I look forward to hearing how you do this year Lou!

What kind of intake restriction do the Vipers get? Do you know if you will get to use the 7.0L next year? What intake manifold are you allowed to use? Is there any way a fan can get a copy of the rules you guys have to follow? It would be interesting to compare to other restrictor plate rules that are out there :)

I'm pretty sure it is safe to say that you are running a big bore/short stroke motor, and you probably already know that Darton has sleeves that will go to 4.200" ;) Or do you get to use the "C5R" block?

Ryan23silverado
03-14-2005, 04:00 AM
You guys did a Great job!!! Go get 'em at Sebring Lou! :thumb:

Camaro_Zach
03-14-2005, 10:59 AM
bad freakin ass. god i want a road race vette. my drag camaro rules, but i need a 6 speed handling machine. one day...haha

good luck at the races!

93Polo
03-14-2005, 12:13 PM
Can't wait to see it on Thursday :drive:

I will be in Sebring :chug: for the races

stik6shift93
03-14-2005, 10:31 PM
Car looks amazing, any idea on power numbers? Also why do that viper's get such big breaks in the rules compared to the vettes?

LSONE
03-14-2005, 11:47 PM
Car looks amazing, any idea on power numbers? Also why do that viper's get such big breaks in the rules compared to the vettes?

probably because the vette dominated the viper last year, but thats just a guess

WS-Sick
03-15-2005, 12:40 PM
That car is beautiful. If it performs as well as it looks (which it probably will) bye-bye viper. Good luck.

HAMRHEAD
03-15-2005, 01:03 PM
Kickass! Don't know what else to say...

distortion_69
03-15-2005, 07:12 PM
So.. the viper has more cubes.. AND more allowance in aerodynamics. Sounds fair to me.. just chalk it up to vettes kicking ass.

Peace,
Josh

2MuchRiceMakesMeSick
03-15-2005, 07:34 PM
Cant wait to see the video :nod:

phoenix
03-15-2005, 11:37 PM
i am gong to try to make it its only like 3 hours away from me. that sucks u cant use he 7.0L what did u do with the 7.0L motor? ifu cant use it my t/a woul dbe more then happy to have it :)

AdioSS
03-16-2005, 12:52 AM
um, I'm willing to bet that Lou didn't start out with an assembly line Z06 ;) I'm betting he just swapped the newer body panels to his old chassis.

Glenn98ZM6
03-16-2005, 12:20 PM
um, I'm willing to bet that Lou didn't start out with an assembly line Z06 ;) I'm betting he just swapped the newer body panels to his old chassis.
they built a new chassis for the new body. he still has the C5 complete and now the C6.

93Polo
03-16-2005, 01:58 PM
they built a new chassis for the new body. he still has the C5 complete and now the C6.
After Petit Le mans last year I heard from one of the World Challenge racers they were going to convert over a C5. The longer wheelbase of the C5 was better for racing.

http://www.davidfarmerracing.com/C6.html has a write up on his C6 construction. Looks like David will be racing after a year off :cool:

I don't doubt LG has the C5 from last year complete but I would be curious how the C6 started off life. :nod:

BurnOut
03-16-2005, 02:22 PM
The C6 started off as a factory frame and a pile of tubing. Not a C6 Z06 frame, 'cause it's difficult to weld steel to aluminum, if you know what I mean.

Dave F
03-17-2005, 03:31 PM
actually, we are all starting with C5 STEEL frames. Other than the front of the frame being 3" longer (C5 longer than C6), they are identical. Why spend $45k when you can get a wrecked C5 for around $4k????

GM wouldn't sell me a C6 frame, but maybe Lou got a special deal. Who knows!?

anyway, thanks for visitin my site. Look for new photos by the weekend.

http://www.DavidFarmerRacing.com/

BrentB@TEA
03-17-2005, 10:43 PM
Our C6 Z06 is on it's way to Sebring.

** All GM cars must also run the GM performance Cylinder heads(Lingenfelter heads) which are really bad for power, Plus they crack at #1 and #8 cylinders after just 4 races.

Good luck LG :jest:

LG Motorsports
03-20-2005, 11:06 AM
Brent,

The LPE heads cracked again.

The rules mandate that we use the Lingenfelter heads and I cracked another one just above the intake port where they port it too thin.

I was pushing the car trying to stay in the top 5. the AXA porsche with Liddell driving got a bad start but passed all the top 10 cars with ease to work his way up to 3rd. Of the $40,000 in purse the Vipers in the top ten got $20,000 of it.

At Laguna in 04 the Viper set the fastest lap even while carrying a total of 450 pounds more than the fast Corvettes. So SCCA decided to add 150 pounds to the Corvette compared to our weight at the last race. Whereas the Viper which was the fastest car on the track lost 250 pounds compared to their weight at Laguna.
So the weight swing is a grand total of 400 pounds in favor of the Viper??? Did anyone really think that the Viper was going to lose the race??

How did the SCCA justify this? They said that our 6 liter LS2 engine was larger than our old 5.7 LS6 which would make too much hp and the Viper had to run shorty headers which take away 20 hp.

Then on the restrictor size, we are now restricted to a 67.9mm throttle body plate while the Viper gets a 15% larger opening compared to the Corvette for their throttle body.

Then we were beat up and restricted by SCCA on our C6 Z06 bodywork while at the same time they were allowing a new nose, hood and larger wing for the Vipers. The Viper has 972 sq in of louvers while the C6 can only have 288 sq in of louvers. The louvers help reduce lift and can provide down force as well. The Viper louvers were an elaborate array that created a tremendous amount of down force.

The SCCA used a computer modeling program to try to determine what power could be extracted from each brand. This is all well and good but they totally ignored the real world results from Laguna that showed how fast the Viper really was.

Maybe their modeling didn't understand what a 500 cu in V10 can do compared to a 366 cu in Corvette LS2.

It is sad that the SCCA will not listen to this kind of logic. They are talking about adding 50 pounds to the Viper but ignore the fact that with 400 pounds they were still the fastest car on the track at the last race of 2004 and would still have been the fastest car with the shorty headers.

All this while they won't let us run the 7 liter engine.

PS, the fastest Corvette on the track was a rookie in a C5 at a 213.9. The Sandbagging Viper had only a 214.0 to take the win. In 2004, we qualified at a 210.1 for the outside pole and we are now 3 seconds slower from their restrictions on our car.

Oh, And SCCA has told us that our hood is not going to be legal and we must now close off 30% of our hood louvers!!!

Thanks
Lou G

NOSjohn
03-20-2005, 11:40 AM
I imagine Dodge feeds them a ton of sponsorship money as to why they seem to have the "breaks" that they do and the SCCA officials can't see past the green. I call them a undisputed unfair advantage.

apexman
03-20-2005, 11:53 AM
Brent,

The LPE heads cracked again.

The rules mandate that we use the Lingenfelter heads and I cracked another one just above the intake port where they port it too thin.

I was pushing the car trying to stay in the top 5. the AXA porsche with Liddell driving got a bad start but passed all the top 10 cars with ease to work his way up to 3rd. Of the $40,000 in purse the Vipers in the top ten got $20,000 of it.

At Laguna in 04 the Viper set the fastest lap even while carrying a total of 450 pounds more than the fast Corvettes. So SCCA decided to add 150 pounds to the Corvette compared to our weight at the last race. Whereas the Viper which was the fastest car on the track lost 250 pounds compared to their weight at Laguna.
So the weight swing is a grand total of 400 pounds in favor of the Viper??? Did anyone really think that the Viper was going to lose the race??

How did the SCCA justify this? They said that our 6 liter LS2 engine was larger than our old 5.7 LS6 which would make too much hp and the Viper had to run shorty headers which take away 20 hp.

Then on the restrictor size, we are now restricted to a 67.9mm throttle body plate while the Viper gets a 15% larger opening compared to the Corvette for their throttle body.

Then we were beat up and restricted by SCCA on our C6 Z06 bodywork while at the same time they were allowing a new nose, hood and larger wing for the Vipers. The Viper has 972 sq in of louvers while the C6 can only have 288 sq in of louvers. The louvers help reduce lift and can provide down force as well. The Viper louvers were an elaborate array that created a tremendous amount of down force.

The SCCA used a computer modeling program to try to determine what power could be extracted from each brand. This is all well and good but they totally ignored the real world results from Laguna that showed how fast the Viper really was.

Maybe their modeling didn't understand what a 500 cu in V10 can do compared to a 366 cu in Corvette LS2.

It is sad that the SCCA will not listen to this kind of logic. They are talking about adding 50 pounds to the Viper but ignore the fact that with 400 pounds they were still the fastest car on the track at the last race of 2004 and would still have been the fastest car with the shorty headers.

All this while they won't let us run the 7 liter engine.

PS, the fastest Corvette on the track was a rookie in a C5 at a 213.9. The Sandbagging Viper had only a 214.0 to take the win. In 2004, we qualified at a 210.1 for the outside pole and we are now 3 seconds slower from their restrictions on our car.

Oh, And SCCA has told us that our hood is not going to be legal and we must now close off 30% of our hood louvers!!!

Thanks
Lou G

Sucks to hear about all the restictions on the Vette and I can't believe you all aren't able to run the 7.0.

My wife and I were there at Sebring and stopped by to chat(think I talked with Louis). Don't let your bad luck at Sebring keep you from coming back next year.

If those heads would have held up, you easily would have given them a run!

Best looking Vette out there in my opinion!

Derek

BurnOut
03-21-2005, 01:17 AM
Man, Lou... that's rough. I was telling someone the other day that if they're going to make everyone run a spec head, just make 'em all run the AFR's and be done with it. They are commercially available to anyone with a telephone or a mail box, and have thicker decks, etc... for reliability.

I really think that someone at Dodge is spending some time on their knees... (just my opinion)

MARKSZ71
03-21-2005, 09:48 AM
that sucks u cant race the 7.0

JakeFusion
03-21-2005, 10:03 AM
Lou, you running those 6-piston Stoptech's again? And, does LG carry Stoptech?

LG Motorsports
03-21-2005, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys.

Yes we are running Stoptech 6 piston brakes and we do sell them.

The heads will now be welded prior to installation from the day they are new. if this happens again I am not sure what we can do about it.

We run the engine up to 7400 rpms and in their defense, these heads were never meant to do that.

See you at St Petersburg in 2 weeks for the second race.

Thanks
Lou G

triumphman
03-21-2005, 01:34 PM
The c-6 is getting screwed by the scca hopefully after the sebring results they will get a clue..

C_Williams
03-22-2005, 09:58 AM
The c-6 is getting screwed by the scca hopefully after the sebring results they will get a clue..

the SCCA has always beed determined to eliminate competitors and spectators at all costs.

Maggie
03-22-2005, 11:01 AM
the SCCA has always beed determined to eliminate competitors and spectators at all costs.

Umm...good point, look what the SCCA did for Trans Am racing. It was once the most popular racing series and the benchmark of auto manufacturing performance development!

antz01ta
03-22-2005, 11:26 AM
SCCA racing has gone down the shitter in my opinion in the last 5 years. Trans-Am has gone from the most competitive racing series in the US to dogshit.

Foxxtron
04-09-2005, 04:52 AM
Yes, I agree. The SCCA has been decline for a long time, and their policies are long overdue for revision. From the list alone that Lou mentioned, one would think that someone is getting bribed or paidoff to set those stringent restrictions against the C6 and then allowing the viper to engineer more downforce than the C6.

Icemanskis
04-10-2005, 02:12 PM
incredibly cool

Dave F
04-20-2005, 10:27 PM
for anyone intersted, I posted some new shots of my C6 build yesterday. Drivetrain is assembled and basically ready to plop into the chassis.

http://www.DavidFarmerRacing.com/

Jammer
04-21-2005, 01:06 AM
Keep at them Lou... affirmative action fo racers. Abolish it.