PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Set boost w/ls1 edit or adj. boost with HP tuner 2-bar/E-boost?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2005, 11:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Set boost w/ls1 edit or adj. boost with HP tuner 2-bar/E-boost?

If I am wrong on my understanding of how this works, please correct me.

I already have ls1 edit and a friend offered to tune my car on a dyno for $320 (4 hours/$80 hour). If I go this route, I will have to choose a certain power/boost level and leave it at that. I will have to use my manual boost control to adjust for colder/warmer weather. In this case, I will tune it for 550rwhp because there are A LOT of fast guys around here but I really shouldn't go over 500rwhp since this kit is comprimised and has excess backpressure.

I was talking to another friend and he recently purchased the $4000 HP tuner software, the unlocked version. He told me he would tune the car for $250 for as long as it takes to get the car right. The catch is, he says I can buy a 2-bar map sensor which will allow the car to read boost. With that, I will be able to buy an E-boost to electronically and accurately read and adjust the boost from 5 to 14.7psi and the car will adjust the tune/fuel automatically. So I can run anywhere from 400rwhp to 600rwhp at the touch of a button. This is great because I can run 400rwhp when I'm daily driving and really save on wear and tear on the motor and turn up the boost to 600rwhp on those special occasions when I'm racing a local Kenny Bell Cobra, T-88 Supra or built SRT-4 (I will probably still lose to them all but at least it won't be as bad.) The downside is it will cost me approximately $100 for the 2-bar map sensor, $300 for the HP 2-bar upgrade and $400 for an E-boost. I don't mind paying the extra money ($800) because it will save me money in the long run but I don't know how much I will actually use this/like this. Does it only sound good as a concept or is it truely an awesome deal? I know it would be really cool to have for racing in colder weather when traction isn't so good. What would you do? I'm on the fence. Mike W.
Old 03-14-2005, 07:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

man...if #2 person can tune the car correctly..i would be all over that!!!

get the 3 bar sensor...u never know when u want to go past 14.7psi

Last edited by MECHAM; 03-14-2005 at 07:49 AM.
Old 03-16-2005, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea, I will probably be going to a custom kit with a big single next year so I will def. be hitting 20psi. I didn't mention it because I don't think it is out yet or it was very expensive and I need my car tuned soon. Thanks for the advice. Mike.
Old 03-16-2005, 06:49 AM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i would do the 2 bar and buy a cheap manual boost controller for 10 bux off ebay. If you really end up moving the boost around A LOT then you can spring for the e-boost later. Also, e-boost is coming out with a smaller more feature packed gauge in the future so waiting might give you another option