PCM Diagnostics & Tuning HP Tuners | Holley | Diablo
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NYS inspection - finally passed emmisions!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:42 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default NYS inspection - finally passed emmisions!!!!!!!

So in November I go for a new inspection sticker and fail messerably. It pissed me off since my head and cam mods were done two years ago and I have not done any new mods since. Apparently, the sniffer test was changed making it much harder to pass in Westchester NY.

So for the past 4 months I have been doing a bunch of stuff to the car hoping to get it through.... These include:

1. new plugs
2. new wires
3. new 02 sensors,
4. Several LS1Edit fuel/air/spark changes
5. New oil, PCV, filters, etc

I returned and failed the sniffer test another 4 times. I was about to swap back the original heads and cam...UHG

Then I heard about the NYS test for OBD2 cars being changed in Janyuary 2005. Now they just plug in and see if you have any codes. If no, you pass...

The MUTT I was taking the car to did not tell me this and I thought that once I had failed the sniffer I had to pass the sniffer regardless of the new OBD2 plug&play law. I don;t know why this dog kept sniffing my car - 5 times for big fail - bastard!

Another NYS inspection station just took my $37 and pluged in, Since I did not show any codes, I was good to go!

Live and learn!
Old 03-14-2005, 09:46 AM
FormerVendor

Good to hear glad you didnt have to swap out your mods
Old 03-14-2005, 02:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Would you mind sharing what shop you went to? I'm over the bridge in Rockland and we're a little behind the times I was just in White Plains today too, I should've looked for a place
Old 03-15-2005, 12:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by robertbartsch
So in November I go for a new inspection sticker and fail messerably. It pissed me off since my head and cam mods were done two years ago and I have not done any new mods since. Apparently, the sniffer test was changed making it much harder to pass in Westchester NY.

So for the past 4 months I have been doing a bunch of stuff to the car hoping to get it through.... These include:

1. new plugs
2. new wires
3. new 02 sensors,
4. Several LS1Edit fuel/air/spark changes
5. New oil, PCV, filters, etc

I returned and failed the sniffer test another 4 times. I was about to swap back the original heads and cam...UHG

Then I heard about the NYS test for OBD2 cars being changed in Janyuary 2005. Now they just plug in and see if you have any codes. If no, you pass...

The MUTT I was taking the car to did not tell me this and I thought that once I had failed the sniffer I had to pass the sniffer regardless of the new OBD2 plug&play law. I don;t know why this dog kept sniffing my car - 5 times for big fail - bastard!

Another NYS inspection station just took my $37 and pluged in, Since I did not show any codes, I was good to go!

Live and learn!

Congrats! How often do you guys have to smog?
Old 03-15-2005, 07:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Smog is once every year - at inspection time.

The Mutt is the Moble station on central park avenue 1/2 mile south of the Westchester county center.

The good guy is a few miles away but he did a ligit inspection that used only the CPU module that checks for codes....
Old 03-15-2005, 09:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

Smog is once every year - at inspection time.
Bummer!
Old 03-15-2005, 10:27 AM
TECH Veteran

Actually, it is not bad at all now. As long as you dont have any codes in your PCM you can pass the NYS test with a ton of bad mods.... No more sniffer...which is great for me...
Old 03-15-2005, 03:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

Actually, it is not bad at all now. As long as you dont have any codes in your PCM you can pass the NYS test with a ton of bad mods.... No more sniffer...which is great for me...
Yeah I guess thats cool..
Old 03-16-2005, 08:04 AM
TECH Veteran

For bigger cubed cars the sniffer is a killer. The Jap stuff can get away with heavy mods under the sniffer but the V-8s cannot....

Consequently, eliminating hte sniffer and substituting the PCM code test is great for ur hobby.

Therefore, if you live in Commiefornia, bag it, and move to NY.
Old 04-22-2005, 09:56 PM
SSU'S Vice Mod

Maryland does that too Thank god. Though it's interesting what I'll do if I go to a stand alone, well, when....but that's aways off.