Generation III External Engine LS1 | LS6 | Bolt-Ons | Intakes | Exhaust | Ignition | Accessories
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some opinions on this set up t/a

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 05:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need some opinions on this set up t/a

I have a 00 t/a ram air M6 and my friend has a 01 ss m6. Just want yall opinions on this. I want to get QTP LT header, True Dual exhaust(no sure what kind yet) TR 224 112 cam, volant dual intake(just like the look) power programmer, and some tunning. Not looking for a 9 sec car here just something reasonable. What do you think good start???
Old 03-14-2005, 05:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 00badfnta
I have a 00 t/a ram air M6 and my friend has a 01 ss m6. Just want yall opinions on this. I want to get QTP LT header, True Dual exhaust(no sure what kind yet) TR 224 112 cam, volant dual intake(just like the look) power programmer, and some tunning. Not looking for a 9 sec car here just something reasonable. What do you think good start???
I've got QTP headers and Lane's duals (to take under the axle) waiting to be installed. Then I plan on a F13 cam and some ported heads (down the road). I've already got a TSP lid, and I'll be getting HPTuners and wideband.

So basically, you are on the right track. Headers, duals, cam, intake (if that's what you want).

The only thing I would consider is getting HPTuners instead of the programmer. It's not much more money (if you don't get wideband), and it can do A LOT more stuff. And it has more resale value. JMO of course.
Old 03-14-2005, 05:47 PM
TECH Regular

power programmer, and some tunning
These are one in the same. the power programmer is a tuner. Most people consider them junk.

What are your goals? do you want to be faster than your buddies SS? Do you want to take it to the track?

Looks like you got a good start with the headers, true duals, and the cam. I would suggest doing an ls6 intake as well to let the intake breath better. Your buddies SS came from the factory with the ls6 intake btw. All that and a good tune should get you around 375ish hp, and run 12's all day long at the track (with decent traction that is)
Old 03-14-2005, 06:20 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flaminchiten67
These are one in the same. the power programmer is a tuner. Most people consider them junk.

What are your goals? do you want to be faster than your buddies SS? Do you want to take it to the track?

Looks like you got a good start with the headers, true duals, and the cam. I would suggest doing an ls6 intake as well to let the intake breath better. Your buddies SS came from the factory with the ls6 intake btw. All that and a good tune should get you around 375ish hp, and run 12's all day long at the track (with decent traction that is)
So you are saying dich the programmer. My gaol is to shut the fat mouth of this guy with a 04 s/c cobra. My friends SS is stock except for lid and programmer. I do some street and soon track racing. Thanks for the advice.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:32 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My gaol is to shut the fat mouth of this guy with a 04 s/c cobra.
You're gonna need a little more to that. I'd suggest a 100 shot of N2O. Good Luck.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Regular

So you are saying dich the programmer. My gaol is to shut the fat mouth of this guy with a 04 s/c cobra. My friends SS is stock except for lid and programmer. I do some street and soon track racing. Thanks for the advice.
Ya ditch the HPP and get a tune on a dyno.

Taking own a s/c cobra with just a cam and bolt ons is gonna be tough. From what I have read most people need either N2O, heads and a bigger cam than 224, or some sort of FI. Not to say it has never happened with a bolt on cam (224) car. If the cobra has any mods especially a pulley you are gonna need some sort of FI or N2O.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I agree to what you sayed but thats just a start. I want N2O but I think if I get it my g/f will kill or leave me lol. What else can I get that will add more hp. That won't break my pocket.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:19 PM
TECH Regular

The only other bolt on that comes to mind is an under drive pulley. After that N2O is the cheapest big hp gainer. N2O is gonna run you about 1000 - 1500 to do it right, heads are gonna be ~2k and fi is ~4k - 6k. After that your looking at the real big bucks and forged stroker motors.

This is all just my opinion of course
Old 03-14-2005, 10:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Flaminchiten67
The only other bolt on that comes to mind is an under drive pulley. After that N2O is the cheapest big hp gainer. N2O is gonna run you about 1000 - 1500 to do it right, heads are gonna be ~2k and fi is ~4k - 6k. After that your looking at the real big bucks and forged stroker motors.

This is all just my opinion of course
How much do pulleys cost and whats the installation consist of... good advise thanks. Might get a MAF sensor adds hp for not to much. Just want to know what different mods the blackbird has to get 380 hp.

Last edited by 00badfnta; 03-14-2005 at 10:33 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 11:27 PM
TECH Regular

The install of pulley consists of taking old pulley off and putting new one on. Not too difficult. I would imagine a shop charging ~100 bucks? And price of pulley and new belt should not be more than 200 dollars. This is not a mod that will make or break a race with cobra though. you will need much more.
Old 03-15-2005, 12:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

I want N2O but I think if I get it my g/f will kill or leave me lol. What else can I get that will add more hp.
You can always get a new gf.

edit - oh and by the way the new maf isn't worth much. ported maf ends for an M6 might be worth something if you're gonna get a tune for it soon afterwards. 85mm is only really useful w/the 90mm setups or custom intakes.

Last edited by cyphur_traq; 03-15-2005 at 12:44 AM.
Old 03-15-2005, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Thanks for all the info, you all gave me great opinions.
Old 03-15-2005, 09:54 PM
12 Second Club

IMO(which I'm sure doesn't count for much) All the engine mods in the world won't mean much of anything if you cannot put it to the ground unless you plan to play ricer roll racing king. I'd rather be able to hook the stock 305-325hp, cut a good short time and pull a nice et then sit and spin 400hp cut a bad 60 and run slower than the guy next to me with less power and better suspension. It sucks. I did it.