Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

List of stuff I should change with my cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 08:33 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default List of stuff I should change with my cam

I purchased the Magic stick 3 from TSP. I would like to know what I else I should change with going a cam this big. I have not decided on springs yet but I am leaning towards the Patriot springs because of their cost.Should I replace the stock lifters? I was looking at the comp R's. Is there really that big of a differance between those and the oe comp lifters. If so what is the benefit? I am also leaning towards the LS2 timing chain. Will that work or should I go with something a little beefier? I am also getting new heads. Do I need to use the ARP bolts or will new factory bolts work. Money isn't that big of an issue if I NEED the part. I am trying to do this as inexpensive as possible because I am trying to save for a house as well. Thanks.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Futral says (and it makes sense) if you're not planning on removing your heads again soon just buy a set of GM head bolts for $30 and do the TTY.
Old 03-14-2005, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You will need at least...

Heads (with the Valve train assembled)
Camshaft
Crank Bolt
Camshaft Gasket swap kit (most all gaskets are reusable on the newer LS1 engines)
Head Gaskets
GM Head Bolts

Parts I would strongly reccomend you get

New Timing Chain
MOREL Lifters
Cometic Gaskets

Not 100% needed but a good idea

Full Roller Rockers
New Oil Pump
ARP Head Studs

The GM gaskets and bolts are both very good but the Cometic's and ARP's are better.
Old 03-15-2005, 07:21 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER

Camshaft
Crank Bolt
Camshaft Gasket swap kit (most all gaskets are reusable on the newer LS1 engines)
Head Gaskets
GM Head Bolts

New Timing Chain
MOREL Lifters
Cometic Gaskets

Full Roller Rockers
New Oil Pump
ARP Head Studs

The GM gaskets and bolts are both very good but the Cometic's and ARP's are better.
Anyone else? I am getting ready to order everything tomorrow. Thanks
Old 03-15-2005, 07:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by MUSTANGEATER

Camshaft
Crank Bolt
Head Gaskets
GM Head Bolts

New Timing Chain
MOREL Lifters
Cometic Gaskets

Full Roller Rockers
New Oil Pump
ARP Head Studs

RR are nice, but pricey. Most builders I've talked to say the stock rockers are pretty solid, especially the later ones. Keep it below 6800rpm and they should be fine.

Does Cometic make gaskets of various thickness? The ones I've seen listed are very thin and would be great to bump compression up, but if you're already running things tight???

As for instructions... go to the Howto and there's plenty of step by step to tell you what you'll need in the way of tools and such, as far as what you'll need to make your motor work with the cam I'd call the cam manufacturer and ask them what springs they recommend for the cam and what else they suggest. Other than that it's pretty mush summed up in the post above. You can of course (like most of us do) just keep building on the theme I.E. "these heads will really help this cam breathe and of course I'll need the long tubes. Now the rear gears really need to be bumped...hmmm, should I change out the throttle body or how about..."and on and on
Old 03-15-2005, 08:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Dont forget the BS stuff like a gallon or so of Dexcool, penmagnets/lifter rods, 2 cans of brake parts cleaner... to clean off ****, new water pump gaskets... a lot of them will tear or bend, etc/etc. sorry only done over 20 cam swaps.........